Hardware & Technical Logitech X56 HOTAS: how do I figure out what button is [JOY 1], [JOY 2], [JOY 3], etc?

The keybindings in Elite’s control settings have [JOY 1], [JOY 2], [JOY 3] and so on. How can I tell what button it is on the controller, since none of the buttons on the HOTAS say [JOY 1]?

You could use the Windows calibration tool. It will let you test function and help you find your buttons.

You can print this image, go to the windows calibration tool and find out which button is which, then go to ED controls settings and fill the functions into the labels. That's what I did.

I could swear there was a program that would do it for you, somewhere around here, maybe somebody will link it.

You could use the Windows calibration tool. It will let you test function and help you find your buttons.

You can print this image, go to the windows calibration tool and find out which button is which
I tried the Windows Calibration Tool and the X56 settings program, and both tools display names for the buttons, like [Trigger] [Pinkey] and [Latch] but the only labels the Elite: Dangerous settings have for the X56 are [JOY 1], [JOY 2] [JOY 3], etc.

So you don't get this window? For instance when I pull the trigger, circle "1" under Buttons lights up designating [Joy1]. Yours says "Trigger"? That's different.

If you download the X56 software from Logitech; open the program and select settings. Once you are in the settings, you can open the "view" tab at the top and change it to "Throttle" or "Stick" and it will show you the respective buttons. You can also click on the buttons and it will take you to the name of the button, rotary, hat, or toggle associated with it and you can also program it from this location as well, though it is much easier to use the in game programming.

I don't worry about what button is what number.

Start with a blank bind.
Ask yourself "what button would be best suited for this function" and you end up knowing most of your keybindings without even memorizing them.

So you don't get this window? For instance when I pull the trigger, circle "1" under Buttons lights up designating [Joy1]. Yours says "Trigger"? That's different.
This is what you want OP. Just search for "joystick" in Windows. You'll get a link to the USB game device control panel.

It's very easy to use.

The keybindings in Elite’s control settings have [JOY 1], [JOY 2], [JOY 3] and so on. How can I tell what button it is on the controller, since none of the buttons on the HOTAS say [JOY 1]?
Settings - USB Game Controllers - Choose your x56 - Properties will show you all inputs with the #s

Yep, morons who make software is the special kinda of hell Ive been sent to live in..

Last edited:
I always start with a completely empty bind list.

Then do a smidge of method acting and ask myself in what situation would I want, need this, and which button would I push to activate it ?

Doing that, 9 out of 10 situations I don't even need remember the binds, I just either know already or get it right on the first guess.

Top Bottom