Hardware & Technical Logitech X56 HOTAS: how do I figure out what button is [JOY 1], [JOY 2], [JOY 3], etc?

The keybindings in Elite’s control settings have [JOY 1], [JOY 2], [JOY 3] and so on. How can I tell what button it is on the controller, since none of the buttons on the HOTAS say [JOY 1]?

You could use the Windows calibration tool. It will let you test function and help you find your buttons.

You can print this image, go to the windows calibration tool and find out which button is which, then go to ED controls settings and fill the functions into the labels. That's what I did.

P7EUc7H.jpg

I could swear there was a program that would do it for you, somewhere around here, maybe somebody will link it.

You could use the Windows calibration tool. It will let you test function and help you find your buttons.

You can print this image, go to the windows calibration tool and find out which button is which

I tried the Windows Calibration Tool and the X56 settings program, and both tools display names for the buttons, like [Trigger] [Pinkey] and [Latch] but the only labels the Elite: Dangerous settings have for the X56 are [JOY 1], [JOY 2] [JOY 3], etc.

If you download the X56 software from Logitech; open the program and select settings. Once you are in the settings, you can open the "view" tab at the top and change it to "Throttle" or "Stick" and it will show you the respective buttons. You can also click on the buttons and it will take you to the name of the button, rotary, hat, or toggle associated with it and you can also program it from this location as well, though it is much easier to use the in game programming.

Deleted member 110222

D
So you don't get this window? For instance when I pull the trigger, circle "1" under Buttons lights up designating [Joy1]. Yours says "Trigger"? That's different.

This is what you want OP. Just search for "joystick" in Windows. You'll get a link to the USB game device control panel.

It's very easy to use.

The keybindings in Elite’s control settings have [JOY 1], [JOY 2], [JOY 3] and so on. How can I tell what button it is on the controller, since none of the buttons on the HOTAS say [JOY 1]?

Settings - USB Game Controllers - Choose your x56 - Properties will show you all inputs with the #s

Yep, morons who make software is the special kinda of hell Ive been sent to live in..

Last edited:
I always start with a completely empty bind list.

Then do a smidge of method acting and ask myself in what situation would I want, need this, and which button would I push to activate it ?

Doing that, 9 out of 10 situations I don't even need remember the binds, I just either know already or get it right on the first guess.

Looks like people posting here are a little slow. WinXP, Win7 and Win10 all read the buttons on the joystick/throttle has "joy#".
If you have a newer joystick/throttle the software that came with it calls the buttons "Trigger, A, B, Pinkie, H1, H2" but Windows
see and calls them "Joy1=Trigger, Joy2=A, Joy3=B, Joy6=Pinkie, Joy7/Joy8/Joy9/Joy10=H1, Joy11/Joy12/Joy13/Joy14=H2.

I have the Logitech X56 RBG HOTAS and this is what the joystick/throttle calibration windows look like. Joystick Cal.jpgThrottle Cal.jpg

Go to this link for images of the joystick/throttle Joy#. (It is for a Saitek X55 Joystick/Throttle) Joy# for the X55/X56 Joystick/Throttle

This should help anybody that's still looking for the info on Joy#.

I don't worry about what button is what number.

Start with a blank bind.
Ask yourself "what button would be best suited for this function" and you end up knowing most of your keybindings without even memorizing them.
Bingo! - this ^^^

I know it probably seems like a pain and far more tempting to just go with the defaults or download someone else's bindings file but honestly, why try to work out which buttons someone else has decided should do what when you can pick your own?

OK - I'll answer my own question here slightly. Two reasons to not do this perhaps?

1) Some people have given a lot more thouught to bindings than you might, and naively picking what seems reasonable in the short term can leave you unable to do certain things, especially if you use modifier button combinations. For example, turns out I can't change my pips whilst simultaneously using the lateral thrusters.

2) Becoming too wedded to your own quirky control layout can leave you completely unable to sit down and fly someone else's rig at conventions like Lavecon and, worse, can leave you feeling really reluctant to upgrade to a better stick because the thought of letting go of your own bindings hurts too much. I kinda envy people who can just adapt to a new/prescribed set of bindings.

Top Bottom