Newcomer / Intro long distance exploring

Maybe you are trying to plot a route through a permit-locked region - or are you in a sparse area and can't make a particular jump distance?

no I was planning on a trip to colonia but cant get my route to go over 450 ly

Depending on where you are there might be a permit locked region between you and Colonia, there are certainly from what I have heard some sparse areas as well, I think Colonia is the far side of a rift but I think that is further away from the bubble than 500ly.

What is your jump range?

The only remotely tricky part is getting out of the local arm. I thought it was more than 500ly, but I guess if you are particularly high or low in the bubble, and don't have the current normal 45ly jump range, the gap to the next arm might be causing it.

I believe there are actually limits to how far you can plot.
I read somewhere that it is a maximum of 10,000 LY in economic mode, and 20,000 LY in fastest mode in the current version.

So it might just be if you switch to fastest mode it might be able to plot a way around the obstacle that's blocking you.

I'm not sure if this is true, it's just something I saw somewhere.
I rarely venture more than 100ly. I get homesick.

If anybody out there knows better feel free to contradict me.

I believe there are actually limits to how far you can plot.
I read somewhere that it is a maximum of 10,000 LY in economic mode, and 20,000 LY in fastest mode in the current version.

So it might just be if you switch to fastest mode it might be able to plot a way around the obstacle that's blocking you.

I'm not sure if this is true, it's just something I saw somewhere.
I rarely venture more than 100ly. I get homesick.

If anybody out there knows better feel free to contradict me.

IIRC the maximum in economic is 1,000 not 10,000.

It should plot routes up to 1000 Ly in Eco mode, 20k ly in fast mode. If you are travelling Bubble -> Colonia you should be fine.

Two questions

1) do you have any filters on your route? 450 Ly sounds like maybe you're only plotting using something like Government - and most places out there have none, so plotting will fail (switch to realistic mode and see if that works).

2) what is your jump range? (If your jump range is low then that may be the issue).

Where are you now?
What is your current jump range?

Yes, switch off filters in the GalMap, and select fastest route. You do know that there are waystations between the bubble and Colonia? Apart from that ISTR that Colonia itself is just out of range for the route plotter to plot in one go, so you'll have to choose an intermediate destination anyway.
Oh, and if you're in a hurry, there's also the neutron highway - most comfortably used through either getting the GalMap to use neutron boosts or Spansh's excellent route plotter. Just remember to bring an AFMU if you want to use neutron boosts.

This sounds more like a filter problem than a sparse star area.

Make sure you don't have any filters applied to your galmap and then try again.

What error message if any are you getting? I ask because route plotting is VERY VERY memory intensive when you are dealign with the number of stars in ED and it is an outside possibility that your machine simply isn't coping. If this were the case you'd get some system generated message.

Plan it in smaller batches - you are not going to fly for 12 hours or more straight anyway. Bubble to Colonia should be like 800+ jumps.

Top Bottom