Long haul space trucking with supercruise

Hi all,

For me, the appeal of a game like ED has always been the idea of flying through space, by myself, taking in the ambience. I want as little combat as possible, and even to interact with the game as little as possible. I know this will seem bizarre to some of you: I see people complaining about accidentally accepting a mission where they've found themselves having to sit in supercruise for 15 minutes, but this is EXACTLY what I want to do.

I want long haul space trucking missions where I can literally get on with other things in the real world (like reading or working), occasionally adjusting the speed and angle of my ship, but little else. My first attempts to do this have failed, as I've had to make frequent jumps. I want to be able to have my hands off the controls for long periods of time.

So I have 3 questions:

1) Is there some way I can tell from the map or from details about the mission whether there I can enjoy long periods in supercruise rather than having to make frequent jumps?

2) Is there any equipment I will need to upgrade on my ship to enable me to spend long periods of time in supercruise?

3) Is there a region of the galaxy that is well suited to this?

Thanks for any advice on how to best achieve this play style!

1. Missions should state how far away from the main star the destination is in light-seconds. The bigger this number the longer it takes. You'll want something pretty substantial to ensure a ~15 minute SC trip at full throttle. Aim for 500k+.

2. The only limits to SC endurance is fuel and the number above the fuel gauge is how many tons per hour your ship is burning. Most ships without undersized tanks can supercruise for several hours before needing to top up...and you'll be doing this at your destination, so there is no worry here. Only issue is if you get pulled over while away from your controls. NPCs will usually only catch you very early on, or in the last few minutes as you slow down. Powerful shielding can give you time to get back to the game before suffering too much from an NPC interdiction. CMDRs are another matter, of course.

3. I'm sure there are, but I don't know of any off the top of my head.

1. Missions should state how far away from the main star the destination is in light-seconds. The bigger this number the longer it takes. You'll want something pretty substantial to ensure a ~15 minute SC trip at full throttle. Aim for 500k+.

2. The only limits to SC endurance is fuel and the number above the fuel gauge is how many tons per hour your ship is burning. Most ships without undersized tanks can supercruise for several hours before needing to top up...and you'll be doing this at your destination, so there is no worry here. Only issue is if you get pulled over while away from your controls. NPCs will usually only catch you very early on, or in the last few minutes as you slow down. Powerful shielding can give you time to get back to the game before suffering too much from an NPC interdiction. CMDRs are another matter, of course.

3. I'm sure there are, but I don't know of any off the top of my head.
Thanks!

If you go to some systems around Menusha, you can get some missions (including passenger) to the stations 456,000 odd ls from the main star:

Orbital
Alexandria Station M 456,717 ls
Brill Terminal L 456,933 ls
Gabrielli Ring M 456,735 ls
Kobayashi Ring L 456,937 ls
Mohr Vision M 455,521 ls
Qureshi City M 2,984 ls
Ryle Ring L 1,237 ls
Seitter Orbital L 944 ls
Truman Gateway M 1,770 ls
Planetary
Hoyle Horizons L 945 ls