Long Term Exploration

THe only reason most Deep Explorers like myself cut the trip short is getting all the info turned in. So, I propose long range transmitters. Takes up a utility spot. You must land to use and you must stay there until confirmation from a receiving station. Could be minutes, hours or even days before you can fly on, depending on the distance of the transmission. This would get you the credit for discoveries out here and would add some reality. Cant tell me we get Galnet but cant sent a list of discoveries. And it would definitely allow for deeper exploration and significantly more time out per excursion.

Nice idea, but do not agree it would "add some reality".

There are people who stay out for months on end thus claiming it would allow for deeper exploration or more time out per excursion is not quite true.

Lestat

Banned
THe only reason most Deep Explorers like myself cut the trip short is getting all the info turned in. So, I propose long range transmitters. Takes up a utility spot. You must land to use and you must stay there until confirmation from a receiving station. Could be minutes, hours or even days before you can fly on, depending on the distance of the transmission.
So you are asking people to Keep playing. Then land on a planet and go to bed while the game keeps going. Wake up and continue playing the game.

This would get you the credit for discoveries out here and would add some reality. Cant tell me we get Galnet but cant sent a list of discoveries. And it would definitely allow for deeper exploration and significantly more time out per excursion.
Why not fly by a Nebula and locate a nearby station. You don't have to go far.

Nice idea, but do not agree it would "add some reality".

There are people who stay out for months on end thus claiming it would allow for deeper exploration or more time out per excursion is not quite true.
This would allow explorers to stay out and go even further before having to come all the way back for turn in.

So you are asking people to Keep playing. Then land on a planet and go to bed while the game keeps going. Wake up and continue playing the game.

Why not fly by a Nebula and locate a nearby station. You don't have to go far.
If you've ever been way out in the Rift..you know there is no close place.

Lestat

Banned
This would allow explorers to stay out and go even further before having to come all the way back for turn in.
Why don't you watch the video of Colonia in 107 jumps from sol. Then talk. I did exploration in a ship with 17ly jumps before Colonia was even a base. It not hard to find a nebula. Your idea takes any risk in exploration out.

Why don't you watch the video of Colonia in 107 jumps from sol. Then talk. I did exploration in a ship with 17ly jumps before Colonia was even a base. It not hard to find a nebula. Your idea takes any risk in exploration out.
It doesn't take all the risk out...just adds a need for patience to the mix. Still as dangerous as it ever was.

Lestat

Banned
It doesn't take all the risk out...just adds a need for patience to the mix. Still as dangerous as it ever was.
Let look at it in a few ways.

1 I set my ship each night to upload the data to the nearest station. I could take the Easy mode home. Self destruct. Why because what use to be my risk is gone. Wasting frontier servers for other users.

2 You ship is only a ship. Even if you only had 5 credits and send your data home and crash or self destruct. You get a free sidewinder and your data.

So all I see from your idea is an easy mode home. Players can fly recklessly and disregard their ships. Why because their data is safe.

I like how it is now. You can't fly stupid, You can't fly recklessly. Your data is to be protected by you. Just like Ship cargo or Ship bounties. There no easy mode to it.

Let look at it in a few ways.

1 I set my ship each night to upload the data to the nearest station. I could take the Easy mode home. Self destruct. Why because what use to be my risk is gone. Wasting frontier servers for other users.

2 You ship is only a ship. Even if you only had 5 credits and send your data home and crash or self destruct. You get a free sidewinder and your data.

So all I see from your idea is an easy mode home. Players can fly recklessly and disregard their ships. Why because their data is safe.

I like how it is now. You can't fly stupid, You can't fly recklessly. Your data is to be protected by you. Just like Ship cargo or Ship bounties. There no easy mode to it.
Sorry you see it that way...I see it as a way to get the cred and continue going deeper. I see it as 18 months straight in the Black instead of 3 or 6. My last stint was 6 months real time, yea, I got it all back safe, but I didn't want to turn back, and I could've kept going with this system. Maybe we would be just a bit farther than .0039% mapped right now.

For the record, Im not talking Colonia. Im talking real distance...at one point I was well over 1000Ly from the nearest base in the Rift with a ship with a jump of 18 Ly. There is no place to beebop back to when you are way out in the farthest arm. Its not a matter of just popping in to the corner store out there. As for suiciding back after transmit being the easy mode. That's stupid. Then you are right back at the beginning. The idea behind this is to go as far as the stars reach. Im trying to NOT have to return to the Bubble, why would I off myself to get there?

What would be better (or not), is if you can copy and download your data to a private beacon, while out in the black.
You carry these beacons in your cargo hold, and copy and deploy as needed.

When you copy the data, that stuff is safe, so if you explode, you can come back and scan it to retrieve it, then destroy the beacon(or not). You can only have 1 at a time.
(So you can't spam a system with beacons)

However, if someone else finds it, they get all your data, and can steal all your first discoveries, or simply destroy it, so hide it well.
You won't receive any credits for data that has been stolen. (So you can't copy your data and intentionally cash in both using another player)

Dropping one in normal space will make it a persistent USS for all to see (when using the FSS).
Dropping it on a planet requires said planet to be mapped to find the beacon.

Fun!

What would be better (or not), is if you can copy and download your data to a private beacon, while out in the black.
You carry these beacons in your cargo hold, and copy and deploy as needed.

When you copy the data, that stuff is safe, so if you explode, you can come back and scan it to retrieve it, then destroy the beacon(or not). You can only have 1 at a time.
(So you can't spam a system with beacons)

However, if someone else finds it, they get all your data, and can steal all your first discoveries, or simply destroy it, so hide it well.
You won't receive any credits for data that has been stolen. (So you can't copy your data and intentionally cash in both using another player)

Dropping one in normal space will make it a persistent USS for all to see (when using the FSS).

Fun!

Nice spin...Im kinda digging this one too

Lestat

Banned
Sorry you see it that way...I see it as a way to get the cred and continue going deeper. I see it as 18 months straight in the Black instead of 3 or 6. My last stint was 6 months real time, yea, I got it all back safe, but I didn't want to turn back, and I could've kept going with this system. Maybe we would be just a bit farther than .0039% mapped right now.
That seems short. I was in the deep for a few years after Horizon was released.
For the record, Im not talking Colonia. Im talking real distance...at one point I was well over 1000Ly from the nearest base in the Rift with a ship with a jump of 18 Ly. There is no place to beebop back to when you are way out in the farthest arm. Its not a matter of just popping in to the corner store out there. As for suiciding back after transmit being the easy mode. That's stupid. Then you are right back at the beginning. The idea behind this is to go as far as the stars reach. Im trying to NOT have to return to the Bubble, why would I off myself to get there?
Only 1000LY That only 55 jumps Not very far. I have been around 40,000 ly from the nearest station. But this is where risk vs reward comes in. That where the fun is.

Fun!
So let say I want to use be a gold seller sell the data to someone for real money so it an unfair buff. Or give a new player an unfair buff so they can pick up an anaconda in less than 30 Minutes. Then we get the Whine threads I lost my ship boo hoo. because neither one really played the game.

Bad idea.

You mean if someone else destroys your ship? Because that's what I'd be doing :)

That seems short. I was in the deep for a few years after Horizon was released.
Only 1000LY That only 55 jumps Not very far. I have been around 40,000 ly from the nearest station. But this is where risk vs reward comes in. That where the fun is.
So let say I want to use be a gold seller sell the data to someone for real money so it an unfair buff. Or give a new player an unfair buff so they can pick up an anaconda in less than 30 Minutes. Then we get the Whine threads I lost my ship boo hoo. because neither one really played the game.

Bad idea.

if you can get past your self promoting crap, you do, in fact, have valid arguments. It will alleviate some of the risk to the career explorers. But the choice to be one is risky enough if one is truly serious about it. This may not be a system valid for everyone who just douchebags it and looks for exploits. But, then, most systems we have in place can and are exploited by the average 12 year old whiners. And with this, FDev can stop replacing ships and creds for every Sally Sob-story that cant land a ship in high grav. Me, I just want to go out and stay out. Make my living while I do my job in game. So, I feel my arguments are valid for the average player, not the sleazeballs and o,of course, not you Capt. OneUp.

Last edited by a moderator:
The -only- reason I would want to turn data in early remotely is to protect some interesting First Discoveries. (Edit: This would also incentivise people to share nifty discoveries with other explorers while out on an expedition. Right now if I find something really neat there's no way I'd share it with anybody before selling it.)

Right now the only option is to turn around and buckyball to the nearest station. Which may or may not be "close" depending on where in the galaxy you currently are. But that makes it a difficult decision as to whether to keep going or not.

What would totally fix this for me is if they introduced a system of honouring all discoverers of a System.
  1. Explorer A scans a system; timestamp and scans are provisionally saved
  2. Explorer B scans the same system; ditto
  3. Explorer B returns and sells data; is credited with First Discovery tags and First Discovery bonus money
  4. Explorer A returns and sells data; is credited with First Discovery tags; Explorer B is credited as "co-discoverer". Explorer A does -not- get the bonus money.
Of course this means storing more data (timestamps with each scan) as well as more complex logic when handing in data, something which probably is already somewhat resource-intensive on the servers. There's also the issue if Explorer's A & B were actually exploring in wings given the current 4-name limit on these tags.

So I don't expect this to get implemented.

On the OP's suggestion; not so keen on that. Perhaps a module which launches long-range message pods? Each pod can only contain a very limited amount of data (say 5 systems worth) and you'd only have a few of these pods (and there's no way to synth them either). So you could use them to remotely hand in some of your most interesting discoveries, but not as a blanket "save progress" button.

Last edited:
I disagree that it is necessary - there is no limit to the amount of data you can hold and some explorers have already engaged in exceptionally long journeys without it.

Last edited:
There was talk of a global satellite system that would give people access to the Internet anywhere on Earth... only it was download only. Think of that as Galnet. It actually takes a ton of power and a large emitter array to broadcast data over vast distances.

OP's idea would be convenient, but not realistic. Just like Starbucks delivery anywhere in the galaxy.

Lestat

Banned
I disagree that it is necessary - there is no limit to the amount of data you can hold and some explorers have already engaging in exceptionally long journeys without it.
There's nothing stopping you from going out and staying out. Many explorers do so for years at a time. You don't exactly have expenses Out in the Black.
I think who we are talking to is a reckless explorer who accidentally crashed. This could be not paying attention or flying under the influence which become their own fault. . All an Exploration has to do is take their time and effort. If you do get ops. You have 4 features to help repair your ship. ARMU, Hull repair unit and Reboot and repair to harvest other parts of your ship. And station that is close to Colonia and Nebula with a station.

Top Bottom