Long Term Ideas for the Future of ED

I am unsure if ideas like these have been suggested (or are publicly known as being planned to be added), I thought that they might be interesting ideas that would bring some good gameplay and interactions to Elite Dangerous. I am going to reference Eve Online (even though I did not play the game for more then 6 months, due to the learning curve being painful), but because for game as unruly as it is; it does do a few things really well. Some of these will play into some of the other suggestions I will talk about, but only because they would do better hand in hand instead of on their own.

#1: Corporations (Corps):
Corps are a well known and fully utilized game feature in Eve Online, allowing vast groups of players to join together under a single banner. Right now ED only has Wings (not including the friends list) and while I was glad when Frontier added them I think that they are limiting with how much the game has grown. Corps would allow many players to coordinate many tasks (such as strike groups, mining groups, scouting groups and so on) with far more easy then what is currently present. As of right now (from what I have seen) players who wish to get something close to a Corp are forced to use external tools (websites, applications and so on) to communicate, plan and handle a large group of banded players. While I am glad these tools exist, they are not really a viable solution for the long-term of ED. Corps would be managed by a hierarchy, with a president, VP, a Board and so on allowing it to make strong and rational (or irrational) decisions. This would also allow for the Corp to be setup like a military, with Platoon leaders, squad leaders and so on managing and commanding groups of players. This could also lead to a Coup d'état with players seizing the Corp (this has happened in Eve off and on in-fact) and taking control of it. Things like Corp Permissions could become part of the feature, but this may lead to something like a new Corp member earning trust of the Corps members (over time) and then taking control by backstabbing and locking the Corps stronghold/station and seizing all assets in it (more on this later). While some may be against this, we already have something like this in-game. ED obviously has a roleplay element to it and many players actively do so (people like the infamous Harry Potter). Having this sort of game feature could cater to those who roleplay and allow thing to do some of the things I've mentioned.

Another idea I had was allowing the Corp President to control and command the entire Corp from a UI interface. Originally I had thought that the UI could be a full UI while docked in a station and a reduced version in their ship (removing some bigger and more important tasks/commands from the UI), I realized how interesting it would be for the president to do all his business from his ship and no one could even know who they were really working for (further catering to the roleplayers in ED). Sort of like a employer who works from only the shadows. Of course this is simply one example of how a president could act in their Corp.

#2: Alt Accounts.
While I never could personally afford such a thing when I played Eve for the short time I did, I know that it is a very present feature and many MANY players use it. CCP openly allows such player behavior and doesn't mind it. However this is most likely due to the fact that players opening their first Alt account (I'll just call it a "Alt" from this point) usually end up paying CCP more real money for the new account subscription fee. Personally I hope ED never starts forcing a Sub Fee, however I've come up with a interesting method that may more may not work in both the favor of Frontier and the players.

The Alt process I've thought up would require the player wanting a Alt to reference their "Main" account and in doing so their alt account would be at a reduced price (how much I can't say as this would be up to Frontier), however this would keep the player accountable for any and all in-game actions that go against the game ToS (such as cheating, hacking using a external app and so on), allowing Frontier to still track and see who and what accounts they own are breaking the games ToS. This would prevent a player from hacking or cheating on one account and while that is banned, they'd still be able to play on their other one skate free. This would probably be the only way to do Alts because with Eve Alts don't have to be linked to all or any other accounts (though they may have changed it by now, I am unsure) but only because of the games Sub Fee (which can be paid with real money or in-game ISK).

Of course all actions committed in-game that don't break the ToS would be fine and this would allow people to have different persona's for each character, which right now is not possible unless you delete your save data and start over. Of course this would be a optional feature and players don't NEED to have alts if they just wish to play one character and that's it.

Also in addition to the reduced price of a alt account, each add Alt would reduce the price further. Allowing the player to not have to keep paying the same amount each time and could then save more as the more Alts they have. Of course it would stop decreasing at a certain point (as Frontier is a Business and money needs to be made to pay employees and maintain the game), but it would still not stop decreasing at a unreasonable amount.
Here's sort of a proto-type of the pricing for Alts I thought up on the fly.

Code:
Main account = Full price (of course). Lets say this is the game with the Horizons DLC, so 60 USD.
First Alt = 45USD
Second Alt = 30USD
Third Alt = 15USD
Any further Alts would also be 15USD

#3: Corp Owned/Run Stations, or Corp owned Mobile Docking Ships.
So this would be something that only more of a large Corp would be able to do. They'd own their own station, however they'd also have to build and fund it as well. This includes mining/collecting the needed materials for the said station. Based on how the station is built it could be at a reduced cost of both funds and materials, so a free floating station would cost far more then something like a Asteroid station (or based on the Asteroid mineral make-up, one material type of the station could be reduced). The station could be upgraded as the Corp allocates more needed funds and materials, so better defenses could be constructed. However each station type would have pros and cons to them. An Asteroid station would be harder to find (in a Asteroid belt) and stronger hull HP, but because it is constricted to a in a single large Asteroid, the space to upgrade parts of the station is reduced. So maybe only up to a certain size ship can dock in it. Or maybe less defense turrets can be built because there isn't as much room to build more of them. So overall it would have better Hull HP and also be say harder to find (concealment bonus if you will).
So with a free floating station (commonly seen in the game) would be far more easy to find and have say a lower hull HP amount, but because they are usually bigger can fit more in and on them. So a reduced HP and easier to find, but can fit bigger ships in it and can also have more turrets built to protect it.

So you may have noticed I mentioned a secondary station type, and that would be the Mobile Docking ship. As we know no currently available station can dock a capital ship (to what we know) and that would also hold true to Corp owned stations. This would be where the Mobile ships come in. This allows for both smaller ships (that can be currently docked) as well as larger ships and up to capital ones. They are also mobile and have FSD drivers to allow the Corps to freely move them from system to system. However just like the other two stations this one would have a downside. While it has a HP amount that is less then the Asteroid station, but more then the free floating one, it has no defense turrets to protect itself with. This would force a Corp to think wisely about where and when they move it, as this would probably cost somewhere in between the other two stations (as it can not only fit capitals, but the FTL would cost quite a pretty penny to have it installed). Of course though upgrades would be a part of this as well. However the only main one I can think of right now is in regards to how fast they refuel or repair ships. Of course currently flyable ships would be the same amount of time they are now (instant), however ships larger then currently in-game ships would have a wait time and capitals (if they are going to be the largest flyable ship in the game if and when Frontier does so) would take the longest.

However refuel and repair time could be cut down with upgrades. The first/default would be manual labor (slavory or non-slavory would be up to how the Corp runs their operation). This would be the longest wait time and may or may not cost the Corp to pay whoever is doing the ship servicing. The second upgrade would be a combination of manual and automatic repairs. This means that while the manual labor is still there, the people still doing it would be helped by drones, robots and so on. The last upgrade would be completely autonomous, the whole repair staff being nothing but robots and drones. These machines would be given input from the players of each ship (or the Corp depending on how this would be incorporated into the game) making the repair time the shortest of all the upgrade levels.
As of now I have no proto-type ideas for the length of each wait time per Upgrade tier, and I probably never will as this would take ALOT of testing and feedback from players to get right.
Also I'd like to add that I am unsure if the mobile docks should be limited to outside the bubble or not, or if they are moved into the bubble they are restricted to only doing certain things. As it would probably cause a lot of probably for new players still inside the bubble getting ganked and repeatedly killed by a Corp Mobile Dock putting itself near a starting station they are at. As I know I've heard plenty of new players quit due to the issue of spawn killing and getting ganked.

The idea for Mobile Docks sort of came from the lore present in the Halo Universe, as the UNSC had such a ship call the Cradle. Concepts for the Cradle can be seen here, for anyone who is not familiar with the Halo Universe and it's lore.
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/halo/images/d/d6/Gvnytrf.JPG/revision/latest?cb=20120726164939
(Cradle "B" is the one you want to look at, as it's what appeared in the lore)

#4: Massive Ship Battles
While we do have pockets of battles that are semi-large (like conflict zones in a compromised system), they aren't as large as maybe they could be. I am not talking about Eve size of battles, as they have a tendency of actually crashing some of CCP's game server nodes and then they have to fix and reboot those parts of the server. I am talking about battles you warp into a system and you either see a massive blip on your radar, or (better yet) you can see from Super Cruiser. These would be battles that not just 2 capitals would be a part of, but multiple capitals are fighting in. These would probably be fought with two or more Corps involved, but these could also be battles made up of multiple smaller factions that may or may not have a Captial but do have hundreds of ships fighting in.
This sort of battle would actually be a really good place for the Mobile Dock to be participating in. Though a smart Corp would place their mobile dock far enough from the battle that it would be pretty safe but still able to repair ships as needed.
These are the battles I've been hoping to see in ED for quite some time now, and I can imagine and I am not alone.

So far these are the ideas I want to bring to the table for Frontier look at and think about. Most of these are more of a "Social" type of content, they'd still be really impactful to the ED game and the universe it's in. Plus while some of these are seen in Eve, they are not seen from a First Person Perspective as the game is a Isometric/Third Person game. Being able to warp in to a zone that has a humongous battle raging on, multiple capital class ships engaging one another with frightening streaking across space as they fight for victory and to see it from the safety of your cockpit would be incredible and surreal. It would be any Sci-fi Nerds wet dream come true. xD

Also this is sort of a side note, but depending on if the expansion that will allow players to walk around their ship (and maybe the station), Corp Station takeovers would be a interesting feature to have with the station and Corp ideas I've talked about. However this would involve a First Person Shooter aspect (something Star Citizen is working on), so I don't know/think Frontier would do something like this. As from what I know the walking around expansion has no plans for any sort of shooting feature. Though if it is, then this would be a really great idea to add into the mix. Allowing players to "breech" a enemy Corps station (blow up the blast doors), fly their ships in and then take over the station buy force (hostile take over).

Whiler I agree Eve has some nice QoL stuff like storage and guilds/corps, I do not think Elite needs to be Eve. We already have a bad enough griefing problem. I literally dropped Eve because it's worse there than here. I've got billions in assets over there just waiting for some sort of correction but it never works out when I peek back in. Many of us just want to be able to fly our ships in relative peace. This isn't too much to ask and if we go too far down the "let's be like Eve" route, we'll attract a bad element for whom a no-monthly-fee game is quite attractive.

Couldnt agree with you more. This game needs to be more like eve. So many commanders bad mouth it but i hear their excuses of why not and they just aren't logical. Truth is there seems to be a lot of players that tried eve and never understood how its economy was key or how allowing players to own null sec lead to an amazing sandbox where players made their own lore and i dont mean they went to wikipedia and wrote a novelty story that some dev liked and put into lore i mean they DID it.

The thing with fleet battles is they would come if you allowed groups of players to own and govern systems but for that to be viable you need the systems to have a resource worth wanting which then ties into needing a crafting system that spawns these resources in these system that can then be used to build said ships. Then for all of that to work you need an in game platform for players to be able to communicate and identify as together which is where your corp system comes in.

Now fdev have mentioned they are bringing a guild like system for players to join this year. So your post may have already been answered. (Check last years announcements on the future of ED) but thats only the first step. They need to start handing this game over to the players and trust us. Dont intervene when someone does something everyone deems outrageous and let us evolve their game and lore for them. The last point is the key to why i believe this hasnt happened. The developers are very close to their story and by beginning to hand over space to the playerbase they lose control of the lore of ED.

So far this game has been more story driven than eve ever achieved and that is possibly why we might never see the truly player driven null sec experience eve can offer but oh boy wouldnt it be awesome if it did!

Couldnt agree with you more. This game needs to be more like eve. So many commanders bad mouth it but i hear their excuses of why not and they just aren't logical. Truth is there seems to be a lot of players that tried eve and never understood how its economy was key or how allowing players to own null sec lead to an amazing sandbox where players made their own lore and i dont mean they went to wikipedia and wrote a novelty story that some dev liked and put into lore i mean they DID it.

The thing with fleet battles is they would come if you allowed groups of players to own and govern systems but for that to be viable you need the systems to have a resource worth wanting which then ties into needing a crafting system that spawns these resources in these system that can then be used to build said ships. Then for all of that to work you need an in game platform for players to be able to communicate and identify as together which is where your corp system comes in.

Now fdev have mentioned they are bringing a guild like system for players to join this year. So your post may have already been answered. (Check last years announcements on the future of ED) but thats only the first step. They need to start handing this game over to the players and trust us. Dont intervene when someone does something everyone deems outrageous and let us evolve their game and lore for them. The last point is the key to why i believe this hasnt happened. The developers are very close to their story and by beginning to hand over space to the playerbase they lose control of the lore of ED.

So far this game has been more story driven than eve ever achieved and that is possibly why we might never see the truly player driven null sec experience eve can offer but oh boy wouldnt it be awesome if it did!

Sorry to double post but i have just had a thought that really holds back ED in this respect. If you were to hand over solar system control to the playerbase in some area of the galaxy the biggest hindrance would be instancing. As this game is built on an instance model and is live across 3 platforms to be influenced by all 3 allowing player groups to fight over systems could land you in a situation you end up in a cold war were the two groups rarely see each other in the same instance so instead are competing for who can kill the most ai or complete the most missions to take the system. I can see how this single build mechanic would kill player owned solar systems almost instancetly (bad pun joke) but it probably makes large player battles and fair fighting over a system pretty much impossible without redesigning the game from scratch

Sorry to double post but i have just had a thought that really holds back ED in this respect. If you were to hand over solar system control to the playerbase in some area of the galaxy the biggest hindrance would be instancing. As this game is built on an instance model and is live across 3 platforms to be influenced by all 3 allowing player groups to fight over systems could land you in a situation you end up in a cold war were the two groups rarely see each other in the same instance so instead are competing for who can kill the most ai or complete the most missions to take the system. I can see how this single build mechanic would kill player owned solar systems almost instancetly (bad pun joke) but it probably makes large player battles and fair fighting over a system pretty much impossible without redesigning the game from scratch

I honestly just don't think that Eve style battles and nullsec stuff with player owned systems is appropriate for Elite. This game is about pilots, not corporations. Eve is very much a different game set in space. Elite is a spaceflight simulation. The setting may be similar but they're quite different games at heart. Just myu opinion, and I say this as someone who liked Eve before the griefing really got out of hand there.

Great ideas.

However, I would like Alt accounts (having more than one commander but only being able to play one at a time) to be FREE like in Destiny 2, The Division, Elder Scrolls Online, and most every game on the planet (except Eve Valkyrie as I just learned?!?)

Oh, and kind of like Elite Dangerous on XBOX and PS4 via additional free XBOX and PS4 user accounts.

Whiler I agree Eve has some nice QoL stuff like storage and guilds/corps, I do not think Elite needs to be Eve. We already have a bad enough griefing problem. I literally dropped Eve because it's worse there than here. I've got billions in assets over there just waiting for some sort of correction but it never works out when I peek back in. Many of us just want to be able to fly our ships in relative peace. This isn't too much to ask and if we go too far down the "let's be like Eve" route, we'll attract a bad element for whom a no-monthly-fee game is quite attractive.

Let me clarify myself. I DO NOT want ED to be Eve, not even in the slightest. I quit Eve not only because of the learning curve but because how damn toxic the game and player base was. I'd quit ED is that was the case. Though I pretty much play Solo (or Private if I want to fly with friends), these sorts of things that I voiced as ideas may make me go into Open because it would be something I could invest myself into much more then what we have now.

I used Eve as a basis for comparison and a game people know about and will understand what I am talking about when I talk about these sorts of ideas. It was inspiration, not a comparison. I will never ever want ED to be Eve, but ED can take notes on how to become even better and develop game content that is similar to what Eve has but can still be it's own game.

I know that ED does use Instancing for it's game content, I am pretty sure Eve does the same. Though I don't think CCP has been as open on how their game runs technical wise so I can't be sure.

ED has some story, but not as much as people actually say. I mean it does have more then Eve, but not a whole lot honestly. It's more the roleplayers who have created the story themselves, but that's sort of the point of ED. To create your own story, but then again Eve has the same sort of ideology.

I honestly just don't think that Eve style battles and nullsec stuff with player owned systems is appropriate for Elite. This game is about pilots, not corporations. Eve is very much a different game set in space. Elite is a spaceflight simulation. The setting may be similar but they're quite different games at heart. Just myu opinion, and I say this as someone who liked Eve before the griefing really got out of hand there.

In regards to the conversation of System's Security (Sec), I don't think we need this. Technically though we already have it. In the bubble is pretty much the equivalent of high sec, and outside of it is null sec. Though you have system security, it's not as "tight" as what ED has in the bubble. This being the case players could build the aforementioned anywhere outside the bubble, while inside of it they couldn't. If it had to be that concrete of a line then I'd be okay with that.

Also I don't want player factions to own systems. I don't think I ever said that in my original post. You don't have to own a system just to build a "base". Those two things are only connected because they are a thing in Eve, ED isn't Eve though. It's why I didn't say a player faction can only build a base if they own the system. Yes not all systems are huge and there would probably need to be a limit on how many bases could be built per system (a variable that would change based on the systems size, but you also know that we can land on planets too right? And you can explore the entire planets surface. I mean I did only talk about space type bases, but this system of content could be used for planetary bases as well.

Also the current game shows "markers" on your HUD because they are mission based objectives. If you think about it, a base could be only "find-able" if the person going to it is allowed to see it, or if the base is set to "Public" instead of "Private". There are alot of different ways this system could be inplamented, and again it doesn't have to be the "Eve way".

Great ideas.

However, I would like Alt accounts (having more than one commander but only being able to play one at a time) to be FREE like in Destiny 2, The Division, Elder Scrolls Online, and most every game on the planet (except Eve Valkyrie as I just learned?!?)

Oh, and kind of like Elite Dangerous on XBOX and PS4 via additional free XBOX and PS4 user accounts.

Nothing is free in this world my friend. And I know that Frontier would never make it free. Alt accounts take up server space (at least server side), and servers cost money to run and maintain. It's why I suggested a reduced cost model as part of my idea.

Also ED is too demanding to run multiple copies of at once. I mean sure some could do it if they wanted to (high end specs and all), but most ED players I can imagine don't have a Rig build that expensive. If a Alt system did get implemented, I know I'd only run one copy of the game at a time. ED isn't like Eve where you can set a ship to mine and then leave, it is more advanced then that and demands more of your time then Eve does. Eve is a spreadsheet game, and once you understand what the spreadsheet says you don't need to put as much of your time and mental power into it.

In short: free is nice, but I also understand that servers cost money and thus Alts would still cost a certain amount but with a reduced price tag.

Top Bottom