General / Off-Topic Loockheed claims to be able to build a working fusion reactor !

Loockheed claims to be able to build a working fusion reactor ! Now with Video

Greetings fellow Frontier (forum-) walkers,

very interesting stuff hit the news today ! :cool:

Lockheed claims they achieved a technological Breakthrough in the field of fusion - which would be an astonishing achievement !

"In a statement, the company, the Pentagon's largest supplier, said it would build and test a compact fusion reactor in less than a year, and build a prototype in five years. "

We really live in interesting times indeed.

Have a look at the full article here :)

Video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlYClniDFkM

More info on the topic from the
And some more info found here !

More info on the topic from the
United States Patent and Trademark Office
, found by Andrej

Last edited:
Saw a program a few years ago - the one with James May, he visited a place someplace in England and they demonstrated a fusion reactor. The problems they had was efficiency, it simply wasn't good enough. Nice to see some progress :)

I hope it works, but I'll believe it when I see it working.
Fusion power has been "10 years away" for at least 50 years.;)

Yeah they don't say anything on efficiency really, only size. But given the sheer physical scale of projects like ITER, it's perhaps not such a bad thing that we're also looking at this aspect of the fusion problem.

Added a video and a link with some more infos, I try to keep this up-to-date in case there will be announced actual performance data :)

Here is another interesting link

http://pdfaiw.uspto.gov/.aiw?PageNu...re%2BAND%2BThomas%26RS=Mcguire%2BAND%2BThomas

As I understand, they managed to develop magnetic trap that will hold hot plasma in place, allowing to maintain fusion reaction. Not great scientific achievement (principles are know for a long time), but definitely astonishing engineering achievement. No less is expected from one of the leading engineering companies in the World! If this thing going really work, it would be a revolution compared with internal combustion engine development.

PS Cobra MKI prototype might be closer than we think ;)

Last edited:
I've been half expecting an energy breakthrough of some kind since the announcement of Rockerfeller Foundation divesting from fossil fuels. Also, this tinfoil hat is itchy.

As a biologist and a human being, I will be very happy if this fusion research bears fruit. We desperately need clean energy.

Top Bottom