Looking for advice on finding planetary POIs in the black.

Hi guys, sorry if this has already been done but I've been googling on and off for a few hours now ( between bouts of actually playing ) and all I can find are outdated videos on finding planetary POIs - Particularly out in the black.

I've been away for about a year since I last played ( I'm mainly a Linux User but let's not get into that right now ) and the way exploration is done has changed a bit. I really like the new system. Honk and then use the FSS to find details on the planets. I've noticed the panel in the FSS that reveals locations on the planets - are these Points of Interest?

I've not found any signal sources in space in the last few hours, as in they're not appearing after a honk and I gather that's how they appear now. I've seen many geological locations on planets ( some with more than 50 ) what I'd really like to know how to find is things like crashed ships and potentially other stuff. Mostly at the moment I'd like to find Basic Conductors for heatsinks. I only had 6 and I've managed to waste 2 by accident and I don't have the conductors to craft more. I don't want to go back to the bubble though.

Welcome back, btw. The USS sites in a system show up on the nav panel after honk and you can target and travel to them from there. The planet POIs could have "human" or "other" listed after you map the world. Geo and Bio also show up in the initial scans (pre mapping) but only in the FSS screen and not on the System Map details for that planet until you have mapped it. Well that was how is was before this patch, and seems to work the same now.

Good luck, and before every planned adventure into the black what I do is make a list of materials I may need and spend a couple days just hunting them down. It saves a lot of where-do-I-go head scratching later.

Fly far, be safe, and most of all have fun.

oh...and don't forget the material traders. What you might not be able to get in the void you can get from the local WalMart Material Traders.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think crashed ships and suchlike won't show as a result of the FSS. But I've been too far out since the update to check this so I could be giving you terrible advice! I'm assuming you have to find those the old fashioned way?

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think crashed ships and suchlike won't show as a result of the FSS. But I've been too far out since the update to check this so I could be giving you terrible advice! I'm assuming you have to find those the old fashioned way?
Have to do a planetary scan to get surface POI's like ship crashes and even then, they don't necessarily show up in the contacts list. The Bugkiller crash site and Jameson crash sites do show once you do a planetary surface map, for example. The crashed Thargoid ships I've visited, however, do not. They do, however, show in the panel in the upper right, but not in the contacts panel. (Mind you, only visited two thargoid crashed ships so this might not be true for all)

For Basic Conductors you don't need surface sites, just signal sources in space, and those are revealed with FSS. Easier, however, to drop into the Nav Beacon when you enter a system and scan that. The nav beacon reveals ALL active signal sources in the system in one shot so it is much faster than using FSS. Granted, you don't have nav beacons in unpopulated systems....but those also have far fewer signal sources so are not really a good choice if your main goal is seeking materials.

Going ever farther, Basic conductors are a very low grade material. @Newt Loranas, you can probably just trade for a bunch of them at the material traders using other things you already have. G1 aren't worth ever actively farming, imo. Use the below link to find material traders in systems near you.

Last edited:
Hey Thanks guys :)

I'm very much back on the learning curve but catching up fast.

So, I'm around 5000 LY out in the black, not too far but far enugh that I don't wan't to go home to get stuff.
I'm doing DSS and FSS in every system - it's so worth doing all the little planets now. I've just been hunting vanadium.

I've found a Planetary POI ( The old fashioned way by flying at +2km with the radar zoomed right out ) and I'm looking at a crashed ship and an occupied escape pod. My ship has no cargo capacity though so I'm just going to have to leave it. I'm sure someone else will pick it up soon.

I have to say, Exploration is a lot less grindy now :) it feels more productive.

I'm waiting on a friend to come find me with some hull repair limpets. I hit the ground too hard and I have 12% hull left atm. She'll be along later this evening and that's why I'm spending today looking for POIs ( very carefully ) and collecting materials.

Hey Thanks guys :)

I'm very much back on the learning curve but catching up fast.

So, I'm around 5000 LY out in the black, not too far but far enugh that I don't wan't to go home to get stuff.
I'm doing DSS and FSS in every system - it's so worth doing all the little planets now. I've just been hunting vanadium.

I've found a Planetary POI ( The old fashioned way by flying at +2km with the radar zoomed right out ) and I'm looking at a crashed ship and an occupied escape pod. My ship has no cargo capacity though so I'm just going to have to leave it. I'm sure someone else will pick it up soon.

I have to say, Exploration is a lot less grindy now :) it feels more productive.

I'm waiting on a friend to come find me with some hull repair limpets. I hit the ground too hard and I have 12% hull left atm. She'll be along later this evening and that's why I'm spending today looking for POIs ( very carefully ) and collecting materials.
Sorry to hear about the hull issues. It seems from my location you are probably a min of 26k LY away or the Ghost and I would be happy to help. I'm sure there are other cowboys on the forum that might be close and hope they can help you out. Good luck, and enjoy the new learning curve, it has a lot of great ups and some oooooo-no downs ;). Then again, what doesn't?

Ahh don't worry. My friend, Hazel is looking forward to helping me out this evening when she gets back from work.

I've now found 3 crash sites and one completely intact pirate ship - non hostile thankfully.

Crashed ships shows up as "Other (1)" via the FSS, then you need to do the full planetary DSS to get a permanent beacon when you're closer than 1000LS.

Crashed ships shows up as "Other (1)" via the FSS, then you need to do the full planetary DSS to get a permanent beacon when you're closer than 1000LS.
I've not seen one of those yet. I've only found the old fashioned scoot along the surface at 2km+ and look for the blue circle random generated POIs

I'm looking forward to finding the other type :)

It's how I noted this one out there, having the "Other" showing up during FSS: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/the-fate-of-trading-vessel-md-004-hip-83003.507264/
I always wait for the FSS location scan to finish now, altough when it's suuuper-slow to scan I just scan other nearby planets and return to the finished 'location scans' after a little while.
Oh me too. As soon as I saw the first geo location turn up. I sit there with fingers crossed hoping for something fun every time that bit takes more than a second to appear.

Oh Slug Nuts. I just hit the ground too hard again and exploded. Lost 12 hours of exploration data but I guss it could be worse

Saves me waiting on a friend to repair me I guess

Oh Slug Nuts. I just hit the ground too hard again and exploded. Lost 12 hours of exploration data but I guss it could be worse

Saves me waiting on a friend to repair me I guess
Might want to consider putting a shield module on your exploration ship...4 pips to shields when planetary landing can absorb all but the most insane impacts even with only a size 3D shield. We have the extra optional slots added with the patch this week, made it easy for me to find room for a shield on both of my exploration ships.

Might want to consider putting a shield module on your exploration ship...4 pips to shields when planetary landing can absorb all but the most insane impacts even with only a size 3D shield. We have the extra optional slots added with the patch this week, made it easy for me to find room for a shield on both of my exploration ships.
Umm.. I have a shield and I hit a bit too hard. I thought I had got away with it as the first hit reduced me to 7% hull from 12% but then I hit again on the bounce and explodified! Sadness.

Seeing as I'm back in the bubble I shall go hunt down a materials vendor ( this is new to me ) and buy some conductors.

Umm.. I have a shield and I hit a bit too hard. I thought I had got away with it as the first hit reduced me to 7% hull from 12% but then I hit again on the bounce and explodified! Sadness.

Seeing as I'm back in the bubble I shall go hunt down a materials vendor ( this is new to me ) and buy some conductors.
A bit????
4 pips to shields doubles the shield strength; make sure you do that when landing too if you aren't. If you already are doing that.... you and I have really different definitions for "a bit". lol

ok.. I exploded but I still have all the materials I gathered.. how does that work?
Did I keep my catrography and exploration data?

Thats ok.. That's how it always was. Glad I kept the resources though. I now have basic conductors.. I had a ton of high end stuff (42) so I just traded 1 unit for 27 basics, so that's nice. Now I'm on my way back out into the black again. This time with less boom!. One thing I notice - Fuelscooping is a lot easier now. The temperature climb is a lot easier to control. I can max out my Class 6 scoop without taking heat damage now.

Top Bottom