Ships Looking for interesting setups for Fer-de-Lance

Tired from blunt MC+Beams approach and looking for other effective weapon setups.
Will this work in PvE? https://s.orbis.zone/bQ14
How long weapons with "plasma slug" can shoot with 3C FDL fuel tank?
Will overhitting be a serious problem or double "thermal vent" beams will handle the heat?
What about overall time to kill with such setup?

Not good weapon configuration because you would need 3 fire buttons and you only have two so you lose firepower cause you need to switch your firegroups

Interesting setup eh....

Strip the guns and take it out exploring? :)

There’s a CMDR on here who’s recently taken a Crusader build out exploring, and that thing has the jump range of a pregnant cow and overheats if it just looks at a star so an explo-Ferdy can’t be much less viable!

That’s what I love about the game almost as much as actually flying the spaceships, that almost any ship can be built for any job if you try hard enough. I always like seeing daft but fun builds that go against common meta without being totally useless so I’ll be interested to see what you veterans can do here.

I find Plasma Slug Rail-Guns and Plasma Accelerators are fun to use in combination, but haven't tried the FdL yet. Heat and Distributor Draw will surely be the main limiting factors.
Use Efficient instead of Long range for the Plasma Accelerator. The longer range is not that helpful - the higher damage and lower heat, power and distro draw make more than up for the slower projectile speed, and falloff still starts only at 2km.
Maybe replace the fixed beams with turrets to free a fire button, even if this means much lower damage and cooling from them, or alternatively replace them with two more rails.
An alternative setup could be a huge, fixed, efficient thermal vent Beam and four rails or four PAs.
With plasma slug I always use premium synthesized ammo to compensate for the lower damage (with Plasma Slug the premium ammo persists when the ship is stored and through rebuys, but make sure to never ever use restock all nor individually restock the PA, avoid storing the modules, and don't trust the module section in the right HUD - it does not always show the premium ammo).
Since the FDL has only 8t fuel I'd install a second, larger fuel tank and go for a smaller HRP or MRP on the slot which now holds the Fuel Scoop.

Last edited:
Will overhitting be a serious problem or double "thermal vent" beams will handle the heat?

Thermal vent is incredibly effective as long as you can stay on target with those fixed beams. I have 4 and it's actually too much cooling, my canopy freezes over all the time. You should be good with 2. But if you miss you'll overheat really fast. I could see them pairing well with the PA at close range, they'll cool things down a lot between PA shots.

Last edited:
Not good weapon configuration because you would need 3 fire buttons and you only have two so you lose firepower cause you need to switch your firegroups
That's not a main problem for me for sure. It's intended to have 2 firing groups: plasma+rails for bigger punch, rails+beams for cool down period. It will be impossible to fire all weapons anyway because of not a great distributor.

But i get it, plasma slug is a bad idea on FDL.

For me its just an horrible thing just not to be able to fire everything at the same time
I juste could'nt fly a such ship, so unsatisfying
But everyone plays likes he wants for sure

It's 20kg (0.02t) per shot with plasma slug, irrespective of weapon size. Three plasma slug weapons on an 8 ton tank is not wise.
Imp Hammers bursts each count as .02, right? One trigger pull = 3 shots @ .02 ea. = .06?

Top Bottom