Looking for New HOTAS advice

If you want the X-55 or X-56 then buy the logitech one, it has blue lines on it, the older one from madcatz(grey lines I think) is pants(cheap parts) :(

Right idea, wrong way round.
Saitek (A sub-brand of mad catz) has the blue lines.
Logitech has the grey lines.

The X56 is supremely capable. It's not as hardwearing or as premium as the Virpil, but it's also substantially cheaper.

Yeah I use pedals also (MFG Crosswind). Pretty amazing in Elite, feels like you’re properly piloting a spaceship.

Good choice. Same here.

wow I see a lot of Virpil and VKB fans here, I am waiting for my X56 and when that arrives I shall get either Virpil or VKB and probably fly on X56 throttle (for some reason Virpil throttle does not hit the aesthetic sweet spot of mine plus I'm on blue themed RGB setup so X56 will match perfect) and either stick.

AS to 1600m thanks for input fellas, I currently am on last breath on mine (just finished dissassembling it AGAIN) so I will pass on that. Don't get me wrong, its great for casual game play and as somebody mentioned b4, very accurate and also helped me to transition to fixed weapons on a freaking python and conda of all bricks available with great results, BUT for the time I spend in game these days I think I deserve to upgrade to something a bit more sturdy.

o7

As yet no problems but the X-55 I had previously just snapped one day leaving me with no yaw and I always have in the back of my mind that it’s going to happen on the X-56. This may be unfair as it is, the grey one at least, an improvement on the X-55 but the creaking and squeaking was enough for me to order a Virpil Constellation Alpha.

Virpil have recently started taking pre orders which is a huge improvement on the refresh page lottery they had previously.

On the center spring: that happened to me on my first X-56, too. I actually for a limited time (while waiting for the delivey of the replacement) replaced the broken recenter spring with a rubber hair tie of my wife. It gave very interesting feedback. :D
I of course might be lucky that i didn't have this problem again, but when i read the Logitech statement on things they changed, this spring was among the list of improvements. So i don't really worry about that part any more.

On the creaking and squeaking: that actually still happens on the joystick right after delivery. The actual source is the cone which the center spring presses down into the joysticks base to force it back to center position. And the fix actually is very easy, too: once a while lift it up, clean out any dirt which migh have collected there and spray a tiny ammount oil there.

I do that very sporadically. I would think the last time i did it was around x-mas. Yet this very simple thing reliably stops my joystick from making that annoying noise.

On Vipril, that's good to know. In case my X-56 breaks again, i might take a look there again. In old times when i considered to get a Vipril set, i just didn't want to wait for months on a gamble if i would ever get one.

As for the stiff throttle, I don't use it. Instead I use the lower scroll hat on the throttle for the that purpose. It makes for very precise control without having to move your entire arm.

I actually use the upper scroll hat as throttle override and agree that it's quite precise. But i only use that when needed, while i generally do use the throttle. On how stiff it is depends on a number of factors. The actual method of slowing down the throttle is not some mechanical brake. (Which is good, else that would also wear down and break. ) Instead the stick has a compartment of grease, where a stick inside the throttle moves through.

This means:
  • It seems like the process of adding grease was not 100% accurate during production. As i went through several X55/X56er over the years, i can say that for each of them the stiffness of the throttle was different for each of them.
  • It might be my imagination, but i think that the stiffness of my throttle is lower in summertime. I think that the hotter temperatures make the grease more fluid.
  • The throttle indeed is more stiff at the start of your playing session. When the throttle was not used for a few hours, the grease settled again. You then move the stick a few times again, to carve the path of your throttle again. After moving it forward and back for a few times, the throttle settles to it's normal stiffness.
  • On one of my older throttles, which really felt like you try to push things through molasses, i actually opened it up and removed some of the grease. (Beware! On the old Saiteks at least that was a sobering sight, finding out what a mess the wiring inside was. I haven't opened my Logitech one yet, so i can't say how they do the wiring now. )

Also i have to point out that i extended my tables side forward by adding additional wood pieces and my throttle and stick are firmly screwed to them. Would my throttle not be fixed to my table, the rubber feet would probably not be enough to keep it in place when quickly changing thrust in combat. So yes, being able to attach the throttle to your table makes a huge difference with this device.

On third T16000M with original throttle - agree with consensus that this is a brilliant rig if you're around a couple hours a day, but if you're a junkie (ahem) you do need Virpil or VKB, at least, I'm saving now I know (from here!) I can keep the T16000M throttle which I love.

Like the look of the VKB Gladiator personally.

Thx for all the input guys this has been a goldmine.

On third T16000M with original throttle - agree with consensus that this is a brilliant rig if you're around a couple hours a day, but if you're a junkie (ahem) you do need Virpil or VKB, at least, I'm saving now I know (from here!) I can keep the T16000M throttle which I love.

Like the look of the VKB Gladiator personally.

Thx for all the input guys this has been a goldmine.

I don't know how about You but I have stupid tendency to rest my left arm on the throttle when not in flight and I think that the carriage got a bit worn due to excessive load BUT I love it also and will be keeping it until I get used to the new 1, as if it comes to explo or trading its more relaxed to try new configuration but for combat I think it will take me time to re calibrate my brain to new kit :)

o7

On the creaking and squeaking: that actually still happens on the joystick right after delivery. The actual source is the cone which the center spring presses down into the joysticks base to force it back to center position. And the fix actually is very easy, too: once a while lift it up, clean out any dirt which migh have collected there and spray a tiny ammount oil there.

I do that very sporadically. I would think the last time i did it was around x-mas. Yet this very simple thing reliably stops my joystick from making that annoying noise.

That's good news, thanks for sharing the fix. I may well have a look at that over the weekend. Whilst it has no effect on the game or my precision it is quite irritating....and something my wife usually makes fun of :rolleyes:

Perhaps she'll miss it, or at least the opportunity for making fun of her husband:)

Just so you know, I talked about x55 and x56, but I started with the x52-pro, the one and only original made by saitek before madkatz ruined them all. It lasted 13 years !!!!!!

My original Saitek X52 (pre-MadCatz, before the release of the original X52-pro even) only finally got replaced last month. Only hardware issue ever experienced was the slow wearing out of the cable sockets on the two units. With a dab of hot glue to hold the cable at exactly the right angle it still works and I could, in a pinch, source and solder up replacement sockets to restore it to "unbodged" state. It has earned its honorable retirement to "backup" status:)

My original Saitek X52 (pre-MadCatz, before the release of the original X52-pro even) only finally got replaced last month. Only hardware issue ever experienced was the slow wearing out of the cable sockets on the two units. With a dab of hot glue to hold the cable at exactly the right angle it still works and I could, in a pinch, source and solder up replacement sockets to restore it to "unbodged" state. It has earned its honorable retirement to "backup" status:)
2 HOTAS hardware that between them lasted over a quarter of a century, wow !!!!!! :oops:

I'd like to put a word in for the cheaper T-flight X. I like that you have the choice to split the unit or keep both both joystick and throttle together. It makes sitting it in your lap to play when on the sofa much easier.
All the other options do require you have a fixed place to play.
Mind you being cheaper you still have the same problem as with your t1600.
That being said, I've had two of the T-flight and the first is still mainly ok with only a bit of jitter on the twist grip.
The second one has gone wrong more quickly. I tried to repair it and now the twist is knackered completely 🙄
Both only cost 40 pounds each so pretty good really.
I've just stumped up for the T-flight one as the 'X' seems to be discontinued, but costs £70 and seems no better.
On those grounds paying a bit more for something that will last is probably the best.

I use a CH setup. CH pro throttle, pro pedals, and fighterstick. You can't beat the build quality of them.
Me too and I agree.

I found it quite interesting to read in one review of the VKB the comparison of "...the buttons and HATS Not as good as the CH FIghterstick, but an improvement ". I have to admit I was close to pulling the trigger on ordering a Gladiator-K until I read that. I do like my Fighterstick but I will probably splurge on a VKB eventually.

Last edited:
If you have 'large' hands the X56 is no problem - mine being slightly more 'delicate' makes using the secondary fire and top hat switch on the joystick quite challenging... just something to consider :)

The Logitech version comes with a clip that raises the wrist rest by 5mm or so. The secondary fire felt awkward to me before I attached the clip, but it's fine with it. Or have you already tried that?

If you have a soldering iron, the 16000m can be easily fixed..

The virpril looks lovely but to be honest its beyond the normal gamers budget. By the time you add all the bits up it costs a fortune.

My 16000m and ch pro has lasted 6 years and many thousands of hours in elite. And cost less than 200 quid

I was wandering if our fantastic and knowledgable comunity would assist me on that 1. I was using a T1600m and throttle from thrustmaster for nearly 5 years now, super happy with it APPART of yaw axis on the stick which is a common issue with it. Every few days I have to dissasemble it otherwise I get ghost input from that axis.

So I am currently looking into few options and due to pandemic and all that stocks are very limited, so I have time to get some opinions.

Current options I am looking at are:

X52 pro for circa £150
X56 for £220
Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas for £350

Money is not an issue but don't like to overpay for garbage if lower priced options work same or better.

Any input is highly appreciated. Just to add, I have the game since 2015 i think and with 2 years brake(due to that stupid yaw issue with the stick) I am sitting at over 1000hrs and also playing flight sims from time to time so I am looking for something that will withstand some heavy dogfighting :)

o7

Edit: I read alot before posting and I am only looking for owners of those sticks opinions first hand so please if You are about to write something that I can find on google already, don't bother

I had 2 x-52's and one X-56 in 3 years time. The X-56 is very nice, but it is a throwaway stick. Logitech hasn't done much to improve it.
If you want Z-axis, and if money is no issue, then I recommend having a look at Virpil. A Virpil HOTAS will cost you over 800 euros though. It is insane.
Also ordering from Virpis is a pain in the neck, although they have improved somewhat, but you can only pre order with a credit card.

But... when you buy the Saitek Logitech HOTAS you will pay the same in 4 years time and you will experience a lot of stress because of the defects you will encounter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom