Looking for New HOTAS advice

And imo - dont experiment with Virpil, I bought stick from them to use it with my Thrustmaster base and it was pretty poorly made, felt cheep in comparison and it broke almost instantly. Dont experiment, invest in long term setup from trusty manufacturer.

First report I've heard of VIRPIL being trash. Most people love them. DId you get a replacement ?

Im a bit confused on the VKB sticks.
So , is this the base and the stick? I order This and I can kiss my T16000 stick goodbye and keep using my existing throttle?
And whats the difference between the "premium"

The Gladiator-K is a base and grip. You get both when you order and you have a choice between 4 different grips: left or right in both standard or premium. You can buy any of their grips separately if you already have one of their Gunfighter bases to swap it onto. They're going to offer the bases for sale separately in the near future, but they're not for sale that way yet.

The premium versions of the Kosmosima grip have a hat that replaces the side button, an analog stick that replaces one of the hats, and a second trigger switch.

And, yes, you can use them with a T16000 throttle, or any throttle that has a separate USB connection.

I am very happy with X52, have had it for many years and no issues, make sure to adjust the Throttle Stiffness with the side wheel to your own arm force and that is about it. It maps very well with many games including ED.

If price is not an issue you may want to entertain the X56, however I would suggest that you find it and try it in a store before you buy it.To see how the two level Throttle works and also due to the fact that it doe snot have the Hight Adjustable stick like the X52 and X52 Pro. So try it make sure you can reach all the Hats and button with ease and how it feel holding it.

I have a (bad) habit of resting my hand on the stick, and that has in the past destroyed more joysticks than I can count, yet the Saitek X52 has been very sturdy and has not lost any performance over the years.

Before the Saitek/Logitech I used to have Thrustmaster Flight Systems (the old serial connectors, non USB) with pedals etc. And they may be an option too today but I do not know how they evolved since. When I got the Saitek it was so good for me and my style that I never looked back to other brands since.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
The lads at VKB are apparently on holiday for several weeks per something I'd read on the HOTAS subreddit a couple of weeks ago, so sticks will likely be unavailable from them until September, I think.

I have a habit of resting my hand on the stick, and that has in the past destroyed more joysticks than I can count, yet the Saitek X52 has been very sturdy and has not lost any performance over the years.
The Saitek X52 (and this goes for all Saitek branded items that were produced in the period from when they were bought by Madcatz until they were then bought by Logitech) are seemingly a coin toss in terms of quality. Many people "get lucky" and have no issues, but they're seemingly outweighed by those who do. For me, my X52 (bought in 2014 so definitely a Madcatz) was actually fine on the overall until about a month or so ago. Suddenly the throttle refused to go beyond 80% for me, felt like something was stuck in there. Opened it up, and couldn't find an issue, but the issue remained until I removed the detent. Everything's fine now on the throttle, albeit with lack of detent at 75% and 0. The stick, on the other hand, has been pretty problematic with creeping left/right rolling if I wasn't holding the stick. Wasn't all the time, just... occasionally. There's a neodymium magnet mod that apparently helps with it, I tried it and seemed to help for a time, but the issue returned.

I ordered a Gladiator-K on 19 July when they came into stock. I've not received it yet, their website says the store is closed until 3 August for annual summer break.

I have a (bad) habit of resting my hand on the stick, and that has in the past destroyed more joysticks than I can count, yet the Saitek X52 has been very sturdy and has not lost any performance over the years.
Hope this helps.

If you're going to have a full HOTAS setup, you're sort of expected to keep your hands on your throttle and stick. That's the whole point. So, if a joystick or throttle can't handle that, they shouldn't be an option for a serious user. The Virpil stick and throttle I have are built like absolute tanks and take the weight of my hands with no issues whatsoever.

I ordered a Gladiator-K on 19 July when they came into stock. I've not received it yet, their website says the store is closed until 3 August for annual summer break.

That's the main issue with both VKB and Virpil. The hardest part is often just getting them in the first place. I ordered one of the original batch of Alphas in November last year and finally received it in May of this year. Supposedly, things have improved somewhat since then. My Gladiator-K was ordered on the first day it was available and it took about 1.5 weeks to get to me.

Same experience with my Gladiator. I ordered mine on the 22nd of June, it shipped the next day, and I had it the following week. They’re reportedly far better than Virpil in that regard. Virpil strikes me as some bloke making (top notch) stuff in his shed, where he’ll get it to you when he gets it to you. Orders from them taking 6 or more months to arrive are fairly common. (Their throttle looks bloody gorgeous, tho!)

First report I've heard of VIRPIL being trash. Most people love them. DId you get a replacement ?

Due to turmoil in real life I couldn't be bothered and just accepted my loss. Even if I had a replacement I wouldn't use it as I find Warthog grip far superior in every way.
I did try to submit a civil pros and cons review of the stick but (allegedly) due to it being not 5/5 it never went on the site.
I spoke on the forum and listed biggest issues and they said "sorry we are new at this, give us few more years" - what? Why do you ask premium price for it then if you still learning?
So, no, I do not recommend Virpil ;)

Deleted member 121570

D
Just to offer a balancing experience; I found my Warthog to be pretty bad - nice metal grip with a junk plastic gimbal and afflicted by so much stiction that it wasn't really usable for me in spaceflight. I also preferred a twist capability. Overall, way overpriced for it's capabilities but nice (if heavy) to hold.

Virpil on the other hand has been awesome. Gimbals are great, the sticks are nice and precise, and the only issue I've had has been overrotation on the twist occasionally resulting in the grip loosening on it's collar. Easy to sort out in seconds, and it's all good.

I'd recommend Virpil over the Warthog in a heartbeat.

If buying now though and I could afford it ; I'd be going the VKB route, fwiw. Their product lineup looks superior and I've heard nothing but great things.

I think when we start to climb above a $200 price point ( and even over $1k ), and start talking about these types of sticks, you get into the Ferrari/Lambo arguments. Some are rabid Team Red, some aren't, others prefer Porsche, or heaven forbid a Corvette. Truth be actually known, they are all great vehicles. And given the choice between a Kia and a 2020 Corvette, even a die hard "team red" player will choose the 'Vette. Same for these control devices. There might be a few "must have" options for certain CMDRs such as twist-yaw, separate throttle, or analog mini-sticks, but it's like Auto vs Manual vs Paddle shifted computer assist for cars.

I love my Gladiator, and will order another one so my son can fly with me on his new ( first ) PC. It's the same one I use, so he'll be pretty happy. I don't see the point in buying a T16k that I know will fail. And I seriously lust after a Virpil throttle. How to enjoy it, and explain a $450 new toy properly to the wife, is something I am still pondering.

As far as a "can take a beating" and "never fail" joystick, I posted in another thread, I still have my CH Flightstick 2 button, two axis, throttle wheel joystick from the early '90s. Still works, or would, if I could find a MIDI/Game port to plug it into. Now that joystick took YEARS ( 10 ? ) of serious abuse. But going back to the car analogy, it would be equivalent to a mid 60's chevy wagon with a straight six and a two speed power glide..

As far as a "can take a beating" and "never fail" joystick, I posted in another thread, I still have my CH Flightstick 2 button, two axis, throttle wheel joystick from the early '90s. Still works, or would, if I could find a MIDI/Game port to plug it into. Now that joystick took YEARS ( 10 ? ) of serious abuse. But going back to the car analogy, it would be equivalent to a mid 60's chevy wagon with a straight six and a two speed power glide..
Don't know if you want to invest $50.00 for legacy capability, but I found this...

Haven't really been interested in a HOTAS setup, but I just ordered one of these...
farm-side-panel-gallery-1.png
Hoping it will work in combo with my Extreme 3D Pro

Haven't really been interested in a HOTAS setup, but I just ordered one of these...
farm-side-panel-gallery-1.png
Hoping it will work in combo with my Extreme 3D Pro

If it doesn't you can always use it to plough the surface of moons. ;)

BTW - if yhou are spending htat amount of money why not buy a CH Products Throttle? (they are ace)

[grin] Well, there is the obvious that I have already spent the money, but, for me, I was more looking for buttons than a throttle.

Depending on versatility, I may see how the secondary joystick can function as a thruster control.

Last edited:
My X56 arrived today and been busy installing it etc. After I had installed the drivers I opened up EDH > Options > Controls to find that it had an option for the X56. I chose that and found that their already a binds setting for the various controls which is great but it calls the various settings by Joy numbers and this is awkward as this includes every command eg a hat on throttle is joy 28 - 31 which is very good actually but where do I see these designated Joy numbers on the actual HOTAS controls?.

[...]but where do I see these designated Joy numbers on the actual HOTAS controls?.

Actually, as far as i know, nowhere. Also, i have to admit that in my first two months of using my HOTAS, i actually had small stickers next to all the buttons, showing what they would do. It took me a little to learn it all, but it was worth it. :)

Top Bottom