Looking for new HOTAS

I'm looking for a new HOTAS, & am thinking either the Thrustmaster T16000, or the X52 Pro. I know that the X52 Pro had serious quality issues when Madcatz owned Saitek - have these been resolved since Logitech took it over?

What are peoples experiences with these two items, & any recommendations between the two?

Thanks.

Since nobody else has replied so far, here is my twopenn'orth:

I use CHProducts Fighterstick and Throttle - they are not cheap but built from glass-reinforced plastic so are really robust. CH Products make industry controllers and the components they use are pretty reliable.

If you are in the USA they are a good price, if in the UK you pay a bit more. (Amazon ship from US and charge duty etc in the price - UK stockists are even more expensive if you can find them.)

N.B The stick has no twist, like the warthog and basically has the same buttons as that does.

Last edited:
Thanks for that - but as I'm also going to be using it for my Flight Sims then I need the rudder axis.

Great name btw - that was a classic programme!!! :D(y):D

Thanks for that - but as I'm also going to be using it for my Flight Sims then I need the rudder axis.

Great name btw - that was a classic programme!!! :D(y):D

Rudder pedals. (I use CH Pro ones of those too)

I use them in flight sims but I don't in E D, they "feel" wrong there and it mucks up my muscle-memory / flight co-ordination in sims. Fight Sims are so much more enjoyable with rudder pedals, I wouldn't like to "fly" without them.

For E D I use the stick's pinky button as a press-to-hold "Yaw to Roll" so if I want yaw, squeezing that whilst leaning the stick to the side - surprisingly natural after a while. The same solution can be used with the Warthog stick if you feel drawn to that kit otherwise.

Thanks re Para - I still remember Duncan MacRae version though none of those survive, was worried about Rab C Nesbitt having a go but Fisher actually did quite well.

Last edited:
I have had an X52 for a couple of years and have had no trouble with it.
Before that I had a T16000 Joystick (not the HOTAS), the trigger gave me a blister, the hat was not very accessible and there weren't really enough easily useable buttons on it. On a positive note it was great for a left hander like me but I guess thats out the window as a HOTAS

I have an X52 Pro - at a little over a year of use the second trigger (the trigger has 2 steps) microswitch went faulty ON - no warranty so chopped the wire to it after opening the stick. Cable inside are tat... Now have the second fire button (and a few led's) only working intermittently.
I may just have had a Friday afternoon build, but wouldn't recommend one to anyone else, I think QC is possibly still a bit iffy!

Had my X52 Pro for a year now, and no build quality problems.
Sometimes the throttle stops working in Elite & I have to exit to menu and resume to get it working again - but only rarely and not sure where the fault lies...
I got mine from Amazon for $99 (used camelcamelcamel and waited for a bargain) and it was the best $100 I've spent for a long time!

The config software is complete crap - but just about usable to set things up - although not really necessary in Elite.

That was a bargain @SirMaxxx !

Despite my misgivings the stick is still lovely to use, just for a mid-range hotas the interior build quality on mine is a bit of a let down. Had it failed a couple of months earlier it would have been a warranty return, such is life :)

I can only agree with Para Handy, the CH Products stuff is built to last. I use the Fighterstick Pro and Throttle after previously owning the X52 pro and throttle. The Saitek stuff broke just after the warranty ran out (How does it know?) Haven't bothered with the pedals, as I use my thumb on one of the toggle switches of the stick and it works great.

I can only agree with Para Handy, the CH Products stuff is built to last. I use the Fighterstick Pro and Throttle after previously owning the X52 pro and throttle. The Saitek stuff broke just after the warranty ran out (How does it know?) Haven't bothered with the pedals, as I use my thumb on one of the toggle switches of the stick and it works great.
Argh - now I"m worried - my warranty runs out in a week!

I'm looking for a new HOTAS, & am thinking either the Thrustmaster T16000, or the X52 Pro. I know that the X52 Pro had serious quality issues when Madcatz owned Saitek - have these been resolved since Logitech took it over?

What are peoples experiences with these two items, & any recommendations between the two?

Thanks.
Personally, I would say the Thrustmaster t16000 is crappy.
The twist rudder sensor is garbage and it starts to get "twitchy" on its own after a couple of months making your ship wobble.
I am on my third one and wrecked one because it annoyed me so much.
I had to buy another T16000 because I already had the left handed flight stick and had modified my recliner to bolt these on a as dual control flight seat.
The third T16000 already has the "twitch" even though its still under warranty.
With this experience I would have been better going the X52 first and then buying a left handed stick instead.
The T16000 sticks are cheaper but the twist sensor is what lets it down.
All three presents the flaw and I can get rid of it only by pulling the stick back and letting it go so it kinda shakes around and fixes whatever short or dodgy connection issue the design has.

15/07/2019 FOUND A WAY TO GET RID OF THE TWITCHY RUDDER : the best way I have found is to put the T16000 slider to the top position and then just pull back the T16000 stick and let go (like a pinball lever) so that its centering spring mechanism jiggles the stick rapidly to and fro until it settles to its center. Do this a few times, twist the rudder a little, repeat and then use the software device analyzer and do small rudder twists to see if the rudder input sensor is stable. You may have to do this every now when you haven't used the T16000 for a while and the twitch thing happens. I guess its a design flaw coupled with a sensitive input pot.

Last edited:
Personally, I would say the Thrustmaster t16000 is crappy.
The twist rudder sensor is garbage and it starts to get "twitchy" on its own after a couple of months making your ship wobble.
I can confirm this! I use the second T16000. I can fix the sensor, but this fix is only temporary. Take it again every 2 months with daily use.

Could you push your budget another £50, Bernie? The X-56 is a superb HOTAS, easily the best combination of features versus cost (£219.99) on the market. There were issues with previous versions, but Logitech claim to have sorted them out. I believe them, but even if the problems were still there, it comes with a two year guarantee. Less than a tenner a month, for the best stick and throttle out there? I'd call that a bargain! 😎

Full disclosure: I'm currently running a (self repaired) X-55 throttle and a VKB Gunfighter Pro. If Logitech ever wise up and start to sell the throttle and stick separately I'll get a X-56 next payday, no hesitation.

I have used both. I think the thrustmaster FCS is more precise, but I did not care for the stick itself, where the x52 pro stick felt great, and I used the pinky switch as a modifier for many hotkeys.

I also prefer the arch type throttle of the x52 pro (logitech made) over the slide throttle of the Thrustmaster as well. The Thrustmaster throttle has more buttons and IIRC an additional analog stuck (the x52 pro has a mouse nipple thing, but I never could get it working as an analog axis in game). I did mod my x52pro with the additional magnets, and added a thin velco strip to give the feel of a 0 throttle indent as well (useful to have full range thrusters vs forward only with reverse thrust button).

I can confirm this! I use the second T16000. I can fix the sensor, but this fix is only temporary. Take it again every 2 months with daily use.
I too had this issue with the twist axis on the T16000 stick going twitchy. This was only after about a week of use. I picked up a used Saitek Cyborg Evo joystick on Ebay and am using that for now until I decide on a high-end stick for a permanent replacement.

I just replaced the T16000 throttle with a VirPil Mongoos T-50. It's really nice.The only issue I had with it was that Elite doesn't natively recognize all the buttons since it's limited to only 32. I fixed that by using JoyToKey and remapping buttons 33 and up to keyboard commands.

Thrustmaster Hotas X, because it's indestructible. All in one unit although it does split in the middle if you want the throttle on one side of your desk and the grip on the other. Had mine for years for flight simming and ED. A lot cheaper than some of the more complicated ones out there. £37.99 at Argos

My first hotas was an X55, but the wiring quality was poor & it stopped working after 6 months; cant speak for the Logitech version. Then I went for a CHPro stick & throttle, good build quality & sturdy. Early last year I tried dabbling in Star Citizen & got dual T16000 sticks, not bad but I found the buttons being on the base annoying, so I went back to my CHPro. I’m waiting for delivery of dual VKB sticks so will soon be looking to sell my T16000s and also the CHPro.

Shipped on Wednesday......
Edit: took 2 full days to get from Amsterdam to Eindhoven, think DHL must have had a bicycle breakdown.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom