Lost a weeks worth of Exploration Data on a return trip from Rossette Nebula due to a hard crash

About 2 weeks ago, I bit the bullet to unlock Prof. Palin, bought a Krait Phantom, engineered it to ~60 light year range and ran the Neutron Star Highway out to New Beginnings. Arrived with 15 new systems discovers and 22mill in exploration data... I felt great, felt like making the return trip count. Found my account on EDSM and used it for profitable planets while using spansh "Road to Riches" for route planning, a week later I reach the Outotz Sector and decide to swing by Outotz LS-K D8-3 B5A for Selenium....

My despair... I arrive at Geological Site 5 on B5A, dropping from orbital cruise without issue. Work my way down the ravine with the, landing gear and shields on, down to the end where a medium ship can land... 50m from the ground, crawling as slow as I can, looking for the stable ground. Screen suddenly goes to desktop, game crashed hard. No big deal, happens once in a blue moon, start the game back up... Dead? Rebuy Screen? WTH! I was careful, I had my shields up, crawling in the 10m/s with landing gear down.

I don't know what to do now... yes i was stupid to stop for a supply pit stop... was careful.. knowing full well that Road to Riches estimated a 45mil return, EDSM estimated 149mil return... 44 new systems found, my first Earth-Like discovered.... scrubbed 14,000 light years of space in the 3,800 light years of space for this data, lost to a crash... what am I to do now? Spend another week and hours a day retracing my steps for my progress lost? Right now I feel like this is a hell no. If it was my fault, yeah gladly, that's on me... not for a game crash.

EDIT: Respawned back at New Beginnings in the Rossette Nebula... worth taking the same route back?

Last edited:
A ticket was placed, never a word back.

In the end the return trip was redone. EDSM was useless for finding all the high-value planets the Road to Riches route missed (all the info in the world but no 'I died' button for planets). I feel like I rushed the second trip back, afraid to lose another 10-14hrs again.

After turning in 167 mil in exploration data, skipping from 68% Pathfinder to 48% Pioneer, doubling my in game travel from 23k to 46k light years, and rediscovering my first earth-like... all I lost was time. I don't think I'll do another expedition for a while or at least until I run out of engineers to unlock in the bubble and have to go to Colonia for the rest.

Top Bottom