lost your binds? want hasstle free backed up binds look no further

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
keybindings can reset if you visit the control section without one of your usual devices used to play the game ie hotas , xbox pad etc not plugged in or at that present moment is undetected by windows as it thinks your just using keyboard and mouse it simply rewrites your binds for you (fantastic how very intuitive)
also game patches can put a spanner in the works...…………….
(A poorly written part of the software that they just don't know how to fix it seems, thankfully there are simple ways around this)
method one don't unplug controllers ever( not very practical) ie never start the game without all game control devices plugged in and I mean all of them vr inc
that still wont protect your current set binds from a patch
or method two rename your bind file which should be patch proof (ensure the game is not running when changing files/filenames as unwanted duplicates may result)
elitesbinds.jpg

to rename your bind file (CLOSE DOWN THE GAME)
go here
C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings
(you may need to tick show hidden files and folders in control panel folder options too see these files)
STEP 1
rename your custom 3.0 binds file for eg
STRONTIUM DOG CONTROL.3.0.binds
STEP 2
open the file(using notepad) and edit line 2 between the speechmarks like this
<Root PresetName="STRONTIUM DOG CONTROL" MajorVersion="3" MinorVersion="0">
and save the file keeping the .binds filetype

STEP 3
now open the start preset file(notepad) and rename that the same so it just reads for eg
STRONTIUM DOG CONTROL
and then save keeping the StartPreset.start filetype

STRONTIUM DOG CONTROL will now show up in the controls section preset menu in the game for eg
vsP5ODW.png

once done get rid of any old binds like custom 2.0 so you only have one bind file and one preset.start file in the bindings folder (that will prevent the game from reading from one file and writing to another causing binds not to save)

Now I didn't want to get all technical on ya but SWirly thing Alert
you can actually create multiple binds by having more then one correctly renamed bind file for eg STRONTIUNM DOG COMBAT,EXPLORER,MINER which can be quickly swapped out if you copy and rename and set variations etc to preference as Para Handy rightly pointed out...……..
which will also show in your in game preset pull down menu (shown above)
then just backup the whole bindings folder to someplace safe outta the way ie NOT IN the frontier folders(after all your control binds are tested and saved in game)
if your controls get weird & or just lost for any reason just copy and paste/replace the folder back in ensuring that your control devices are all plugged in and recognised by windows first
N.B if you so wish you can delete the entire bindings folder at any time where upon game reboot a brand new default one will be re generated if you wish to start from scratch (controls only and not recommended unless you like setting up all the controls from the beginning)

FOR ODYSSEY USERS

rename a new set for odyssey to cater for the the new version 4.0.binds for odyssey
which I renamed PUPPYDOG CONTROL.4.0.binds for eg
and it's startpreset4start file reads once opened (to cater for the new times 4 split menu that odyssey has)
PUPPYDOG CONTROL
PUPPYDOG CONTROL
PUPPYDOG CONTROL
PUPPYDOG CONTROL

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a really good, simple way. shame windows symbolic links and talked about. maybe my git repo is overkill for all those constantly changing config files.

Last edited:
keybindings can reset if you visit the control section without one of your usual devices used to play the game ie hotas , xbox pad etc not plugged in or at that present moment is undetected by windows as it thinks your just using keyboard and mouse it simply rewrites your binds for you (fantastic how very intuitive)
also game patches can put a spanner in the works...…………….
(A poorly written part of the software that they just don't know how to fix it seems, thankfully there are simple ways around this)
method one don't unplug controllers ever( not very practical) ie never start the game without all game control devices plugged in and I mean all of them vr inc
that still wont protect your current set binds from a patch
or method two rename your bind file which should be patch proof (ensure the game is not running when changing files/filenames as unwanted duplicates may result)
View attachment 187839
to rename your bind file (CLOSE DOWN THE GAME)
go here
C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings
(you may need to tick show hidden files and folders in control panel folder options too see these files)
STEP 1
rename your custom 3.0 binds file for eg
STRONTIUM DOG CONTROL.3.0.binds
STEP 2
open the file(using notepad) and edit line 2 between the speechmarks like this
<Root PresetName="STRONTIUM DOG CONTROL" MajorVersion="3" MinorVersion="0">
and save the file keeping the .binds filetype

STEP 3
now open the start preset file(notepad) and rename that the same so it just reads for eg
STRONTIUM DOG CONTROL
and then save keeping the StartPreset.start filetype

STRONTIUM DOG CONTROL will now show up in the controls section preset menu in the game for eg
vsP5ODW.png

once done get rid of any old binds like custom 2.0 so you only have one bind file and one preset.start file in the bindings folder (that will prevent the game from reading from one file and writing to another causing binds not to save)

Now I didn't want to get all technical on ya but SWirly thing Alert
you can actually create multiple binds by having more then one correctly renamed bind file for eg STRONTIUNM DOG COMBAT,EXPLORER,MINER which can be quickly swapped out if you copy and rename and set variations etc to preference as Para Handy rightly pointed out...……..
which will also show in your in game preset pull down menu (shown above)
then just backup the whole bindings folder to someplace safe outta the way ie NOT IN the frontier folders(after all your control binds are tested and saved in game)
if your controls get weird & or just lost for any reason just copy and paste/replace the folder back in ensuring that your control devices are all plugged in and recognised by windows first
N.B if you so wish you can delete the entire bindings folder at any time where upon game reboot a brand new default one will be re generated if you wish to start from scratch (controls only and not recommended unless you like setting up all the controls from the beginning)

Thanks will try I’ve been having an error message stating change line 3

Thanks will try I’ve been having an error message stating change line 3
you have basically answered your own question in your other post by using a bind file not created by your machine it expectes to see the devices or intrim device software not present on your machine but present on the machine that created it in your case I would use the NB method first so you are starting on a fresh default custom 3.0.bind file

Last edited:
Never had any issue with keybinds, even with unplugging or reinstalling my x52 or even reinstalling the game or transferring to steam...my custom preset is always there.

Only one thing is the stupid "clutch enable" on the boost "i" button keeps resetting.

Tom Jacobs! I cant work out exactly what circumstances cause it to reset the stupid clutch button, only finding out when my ship refused to engage FSD! Just been given an xboxelite2 controller which i am playing bindings with now, thanks to Strontium Dog for the bindings advice, excellent! Its going to make life a lot easier, ta!

Lost your binds? Take screen photos of your bindings and save them on your hard disk. Use save options weekly or monthly to save your important things from hard disk to external drives and get your rides on it safely.

Todays update totally erased my bindings. What a screwup!
Never happened to me on any other update. I dont have a backup. Everything was customized over the years.

I checked the folder: C:\Users\whatever\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings

Had several backup files in that folder (custom.3.0.binds.xxxnumbers.backup). Renamed a few with the more recent date, launched the game and everything is still erased.
My playtime is very scarse and I dont have the time nor the patience to redo them by memory.

What a screwup!
What can a tiny update do...

Had several backup files in that folder (custom.3.0.binds.xxxnumbers.backup). ........

I sometimes see people say that these automatic backups have been created. What is causing them to be made?

The issue of copies in the same folder messing-up people's enjoyment is well known.

BTW - renaming one of those backups INCLUDING changing the "root presetname" in the file as per the OP should give you a workable solution - does it?

Also - relying on using the "custom" binds is asking for these issues. Renaming as per the OP eliminates these issues as only "custom" gets mucked up in patches / updates.

the above guide only works well if all steps adhered too ie NOT IN the frontier folders
I renamed my bind file on the original advice by Zieman way back when(2014) and made a fairly idiot proof guide version above
as I was the best idiot I could find too test it and make it pretty fool proof
once correctly renamed truth be told you should not even need the backup bindings folder even though I have one just in case its never been needed or used
apart from when horizons issued new srv controls upon release

Last edited:
Luckily I found an old bindings file from late 2018 when I upgraded my PC. It´s not exactly the same like I was using nowadays, but it's close. Followed the guide on the first post by Strontium Dog, renamed it, changed the second line to the same name, opened it ingame and now the Startpreset file shows the name i chosed.
Also made a backup.

Now I just need to fine tune it like I had before. And back it up again...

Many Thanks for all the Help.

Never had any issue with keybinds, even with unplugging or reinstalling my x52 or even reinstalling the game or transferring to steam...my custom preset is always there.

Only one thing is the stupid "clutch enable" on the boost "i" button keeps resetting.
If I start he game with the X52 unplugged, I don't lose my bindings, but the bindings in game are reset to mouse and keyboard.
And yeah = that clutch reset is a real pain in the proverbial!

yep itsa real drain to have to ensure that your control device, that you need to play the game anyway's is plugged in first.
(or if you do somehow manage to forget do this by accident don't visit the control section like a proper numpty looking for a software fault that is knowingly a hardware fault( therby creating a fault when there wasn't one) just quit the game without going to the controls software section and plug in and restart.
you know its the same dam thing when it comes to my pc if its unplugged from the power socket as that wont work either if it's unplugged maybe I should just format my c drive, as I am afraid this required Extra effort just isn't cwicket.(n)
you know I think that batsman intends to play without his bat stupid idiot! now I thought I was dumb but he's just taken it to a whole different level,
" that boys cheese slid plumb off his cracker"
and now hes complaining to the umpire instead of going back and simply getting the bat.first

Last edited:
I truly hope this is something that was looked at for Odyssey as well as simplifying it.

We have a bunch of different in-game interfaces, and with FPS coming a way to easily switch devices i.e HOTAS to Gamepad to KB/M for flying/driving and running would be nice.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom