LTD mining is overpowered and it kills all other activities

I dont think any one thinks it should be proportional to the difficulty just equal to mining wyrm
That's a gaming design gold standard. Reward = effort spend/risk involved.

Remove that - and gaming will just turn into a gift horse. With endless effortless receiving of gifts, and ignoring any content that requires actually to do something.
In other words - that's pretty much would be a death of gaming as it is.

That's a gaming design gold standard. Reward = effort spend/risk involved.

Remove that - and gaming will just turn into a gift horse. With endless effortless receiving of gifts, and ignoring any content that requires actually to do something.
In other words - that's pretty much would be a death of gaming as it is.
while it's true what one can do with the situation when in-game rewards are not the goal?

then you did not got the point, I'm not talking about fun/RP/etc, oonly about in-game economy
Ok so you admit that elite does not have an economy. But in this post your talking about how this thread is about how ltd affect the in game economy ... excuse me how can something negatively affect something that does not exist?

Ok so you admit that elite does not have an economy.
Not one that bases demand on consumption.
An industry station will Spawn X amounts of good up to a limit of Y. Regardless wether is has been supplied with raw materials or not. A surplus of raw mats will not lead to a surplus of products, etc.
The "economy" is just based on the state of a faction, that's it. Demand goes up for certain goods when a state is reached:
Famine raises demand for food
outbreak raises demand for medicine
etc
But even that will go away, even without players doing anything. And the state will have no further consequence for the system either.
One could say that an outbreak or famine would decrease the population of a system.
It doesn't.

Trucking goods there just ends the state early and that's it. One can make a coin while doing so.

A proper economy would be more complex than this setup.

So many LTDs have been dropped into the game "market" that the price of LTDs should now be 1cr/t for months into the future.
... if the game had a working economy...

The other problem is hotspot stacking. That could be fixed so that overlapping hotspots only count as +1 hotspot instead of x3 hotspot.

Unpopular opinion: Average "end game" earning rate should be around 10-20mil/hr. Anything too far outside that range indicates a broken game mechanic and should be fixed. Gold rushes can still happen, but once everyone learns of it, the market should crash, bringing income back down to normal levels.

So many LTDs have been dropped into the game "market" that the price of LTDs should now be 1cr/t for months into the future.
... if the game had a working economy...
sigh 1 to have working "economy" the game would have to be rebuilt from the ground up. none of the actual resources in the game have any use except to generate income. if this was world of warcraft it would be vendor junk. it has no impact on the game at all besides for creating income.
Unpopular opinion: Average "end game" earning rate should be around 10-20mil/hr.
dang right thats unpopular.... if you wanted a cutter thats 100 hours you would have to grind out. lowering payouts to that rate would kill the game. I get that you joined after horizons when they has started upping pay but i played back at launch. back when 1 mil an hour was considered "good". the game was a nightmare to play and grind out.

And it's completely ok for a top-grade ship. Right now, it has no value since literally anyone can take it.
Nope, it's not "Ok". It was - may be - "Ok" - back in 2015. But we have no time machine, and complete reset is not an option.

Hey FDevs,

The LTD mining is way too overpowered and it renders all other activities to be mostly useless from the in-game perspective.

Right now there are two different issues with mining:

1. Respawn bugs on re-login and even when flying away (~25km) on a launched fighter (while the ship is near the asteroid!).
That one I guess should not be explained and definitely need to be fixed.

2.1. Overall resources hotspot mechanic. It can be slightly changed to avoid imbalanced things such as Borann triple-spot and the new COL system triple spot.
The only thing need to add is to deplet the hotspot in general if there are a lot of resources extracted (by all the players). After it's depleted, a new spot can be spawned in some time, on another random place.

I guess the hotspots places are bound to the random seed and so they have fixed positions, but I believe it should be near to trivial to use time/date-based random for the hotspot spawning positions, separate for each hotspot.

2.2 Another spawn related issue is that for each instance the asteroids have own resource pool. It can be improved that the asteroids are exactly the same for all the players, and if one asteroid is depleted by a player, it should be marked as such for all the players, so can't be mined by relogging or using different accounts. That will also fix the "mapped mining" thing.

2.3 Another way is to make all the asteroid moving in space, in addition to rotation. Can be difficult to make since it will create a lot of chaos and probably will require a lot of performance if done naively, but I believe it can be implemented via semi-random trajectories based on time, so each client can calculate the asteroid's position at any moment.

3. Implement supply/demand mechanic - stop stations to buy the resources over their demand, or reduce prices dynamically based on how much items are sold or purchased by players. E.g. if players sell A LOT of LTDs, then stations should stop to buy them or reduce the price significantly, not just for a single station, rather for a whole region, at least.

4. COMPLETELY different approach: to make other activities to be more useful, such as missions, bounties, etc. Though it will require to huge rebalance for all the prices…

Hope for any feedback from FDevs on the mining issues…

I think instating a more proper economy system would be the way to go. Considering A. It's diamonds B. Each unit of diamond is a metric ton, and C. triple overlaps are stastistically rare. of the some odd thousands of systems surveyed only 3 viable LTD3 overlaps of popped up, so that checks all the marks for Rarity to justify the initial pricing.

The supply/demand metric should respect actions by commanders across all systems at a frequent interval, perhaps 10 minutes or so.

The bulk sale tax is an odd mechanic to try to prevent dump and go tactics, but its too easily bypassed by successive sales. Perhaps the tax mechanic should track the goods sold by that particular commander within the interval and apply it if they try to piecemeal their sale too fast.

Should the demand within the BGS tick be met, any surplus goods should carry over to reduce the demand of the next tick. Again the supply/demand metric is initially random to simulate NPC behavior, but CMDR activity should the highest persistent impact.

And it's completely ok for a top-grade ship. Right now, it has no value since literally anyone can take it.
Nope, it's not "Ok". It was - may be - "Ok" - back in 2015. But we have no time machine, and complete reset is not an option.
here the thing coming from an old pilot that has been playing sense launch. Firstly we did have a ship that cost a bill credits all we had was the anaconda which is terrible at combat... what to know how to spot an anaconda pilot? Look for the guy walking backwords. (The reverski ) second back in 2014 an a rated ship mattered because it was the top of the line but then something happened. In 2016 engineers were released and every a rated ship became a joke comp to an engineered one. So you can complain all you want but I have three words for you “sit and spin”. Your complaint is over a nothin burger and if Fdev did what you want it would kill the game.

sigh 1 to have working "economy" the game would have to be rebuilt from the ground up. none of the actual resources in the game have any use except to generate income. if this was world of warcraft it would be vendor junk. it has no impact on the game at all besides for creating income.

dang right thats unpopular.... if you wanted a cutter thats 100 hours you would have to grind out. lowering payouts to that rate would kill the game. I get that you joined after horizons when they has started upping pay but i played back at launch. back when 1 mil an hour was considered "good". the game was a nightmare to play and grind out.
The 20mil/hr number was picked based my my own experience hauling biowaste from Sothis to the bubble back when that was the goldrush ~40mil every 2 hours (and FDev killed it). It took me from ASPX -> Python -> Conda, then funded my corvette. I wasn't even getting 20mil/hr until the Conda either. 100 hours is not much in this game.

here the thing coming from an old pilot that has been playing sense launch. Firstly we did have a ship that cost a bill credits all we had was the anaconda which is terrible at combat... what to know how to spot an anaconda pilot? Look for the guy walking backwords. (The reverski ) second back in 2014 an a rated ship mattered because it was the top of the line but then something happened. In 2016 engineers were released and every a rated ship became a joke comp to an engineered one. So you can complain all you want but I have three words for you “sit and spin”. Your complaint is over a nothin burger and if Fdev did what you want it would kill the game.
Engineers is a completely different game-breaking topic...

Short anectode regarding mining:

My XB commander unlocked this achievement less than 2 weeks ago:
Miner Miracle
Mined 50 sub-surface deposits
0.52% of gamers unlocked this

So yea, i can see how mining is so popular and it's ruining the game for everyone
not.

Miner Miracle

So yea, i can see how mining is so popular and it's ruining the game for everyone
not.
I wonder how all the credits are being raised for the thousands of Fleet Carriers then? I suppose there is a possibility that this figure is bugged in some way?

I guess that in the grand scheme of things:
10000 carriers are not that many (i advanced a bigger number before launch)
there are more people that are playing the game than the numbers we are usually accepting
game is not doomed

Miner Miracle

not.

Unfotunately you can't go by the achievement %'s (steam or otherwise) because there's no telling how many people that have bought a game key are actually playing it. Key resellers are a thing, sadly.

The 20mil/hr number was picked based my my own experience hauling biowaste from Sothis to the bubble back when that was the goldrush ~40mil every 2 hours (and FDev killed it). It took me from ASPX -> Python -> Conda, then funded my corvette. I wasn't even getting 20mil/hr until the Conda either. 100 hours is not much in this game.
again mr horizon player
first off if you were only 20 mill and hour at sothos and ceos you were doing it wrong. people were pulling 60m/h+ before they went out and fixed it.
secondly sothis and ceos was killed because it was an exploit it was forcing the board to generated long distance haul missions and only long distance haul missions.
third this was already during the phase when Fdev was already trying to boost pay at this point. the had realized that making it take 3 weeks to get a ship was a really stupid idea. expressly when they were planning to add in engineers to boot.
fourth mining is not exploiting the game you could try to argue that the egg is a exploit but super dense hotspots would also exist in real life.
fifth there was a explote with mining recently and fdev removed it (ie the killing the respawning the rocks by logging trick)
sixth 100 hours is actually quite a lot that adrage player does not play 24/7. 2hours that would be 50 days.... 4 hours 25 days. if you slap that kind of grind on new players on top of the grind they will have to do for engineers you will KILL this game.

Engineers is a completely different game-breaking topic...
the fact that you think engineers is game breaking says alot about you. but here is the rub the fact that the engineers exist makes owning a A rated ship completely irrelevant the only thing you could handle is "some" npc and even then you would start running into npc with engineered ships as well.

Okay, the LTDs are nerfed… Far from a good solution, but still acceptable.
Will make a separate topic soon about other issues discussed in this thread.

Top Bottom