Lunar Year Sale - what a joke!

So on Steam, Elite Dangerous (base game + horizon) with mostly positive review gets -80% discount, but Odyssey (a botched expansion) with mostly negative reviews gets only a tiny -30% discount.
are you kidding me??? The base game plus horizon is worth WAYYYY more than Odyssey. I think it should be the exact opposite.

Make Elite Dangerous -30% off and Odyssey -80% off, and then maybe I'll buy it. Even after update 10, Odyssey ain't worth more than $5. That's what I am willing to pay, and I am being VERY generous.

so... do we have a deal Fdev?

thumb.php

So on Steam, Elite Dangerous (base game + horizon) with mostly positive review gets -80% discount, but Odyssey (a botched expansion) with mostly negative reviews gets only a tiny -30% discount.
are you kidding me??? The base game plus horizon is worth WAYYYY more than Odyssey. I think it should be the exact opposite.

Make Elite Dangerous -30% off and Odyssey -80% off, and then maybe I'll buy it. Even after update 10, Odyssey ain't worth more than $5. That's what I am willing to pay, and I am being VERY generous.

Not gonna happen. People are already buying Odyssey regularly; they have no incentive to reduce the sale price further, especially for people already predisposed against it and likely to review bomb it.

Elite Dangerous is 7 years old
Horizons is 6 years old
Odyssey is 8 months old

Your joking right, I play EDO exclusively but that launch was completely botched from the root to the toot. Maybe you were not there for the "Alpha" and launch but man come on. Even Braben had to apologize.
I wasn't there for the launch no, but if their implication was that the expansion, even now, is botched, I'd call that an exaggeration.

I wasn't there for the launch no, but if their implication was that the expansion, even now, is botched, I'd call that an exaggeration.
Me personally I am more worried about the actual code base than the expansion. I have worked at three non-gaming companies since I retired from the military as a dev and one of them had a product where you could not look a service, project or stored proc without causing catastrophic ripples across related systems. That's how bad it was and with the last 10 updates it feels that way with Elite. If they can't get that under control, if that is the case, then we are going to see this same roller coaster of bug whack a mole at update 30. Consoles will be an after thought.

If you don't believe me on the dev stuff, which I don't blame you this is the internet, look at a game called Anarchy Online. That game had no end of broken system on top of broken systems since it launched. I remember they had to patch so we could get out of the starter backyards on day one. Half the crafting recipes did not work for years and we had the terror of the backpack gnomes that constantly reshuffled your inventory. They kept patching that one. So I keep playing ED and hope they get it under control but it won't be the first game to die under its own literal weight.

And there are no blinders on this guy and I love this game.

Perhaps that's an indication that their game is the one that is actually botched? Typically, one doesn't offer a drastic price reduction when sales are brisk.
Nah, I would say both are equally botched at launch. But I'm guessing EA has higher expectations.

Perhaps that's an indication that their game is the one that is actually botched? Typically, one doesn't offer a drastic price reduction when sales are brisk.
Based on this community goal they probably aren't doing so hot. Ground combat zones are still active for Sirius vs Reorte, and with the massive discrepancy in payout I should not be in the top 50% with just a couple hours' work in space-based conflict zones unless the Odyssey participants are few and far between.

So, math:
Elite Dangerous w/ Horizons - $29.99 on sale for $5.99 (80% discount)
Odyssey - $39.99 on sale for $27.99 (30% discount)

New players buy both: $69.98 on sale for $33.98 (52% discount)

My guess is they're trying to reel in new players. Because, quite frankly, you're going to end up buying Odyssey one way or another. Why give you much of a break?

Nah, I would say both are equally botched at launch. But I'm guessing EA has higher expectations.

Or poorer sales.

I think Odyssey accomplished its one true purpose which is to provide the foundation of future expansions. FDev accomplished a major technical milestone by breaking into the 'on foot' content.

If you're prepared to wait long enough you'll get Odyssey for free just as Horizons was bundled into the base game.

Top Bottom