Madagascar pack

The fossa is a great addition and a good headliner for this pack.

Bamboo lemur is another great choice thats only rarly discussed, but the flying fox is a subpar choice, especally when the egyptian fruit bat and one of the asian flying foxes are better large bats for the game.

Aye aye is okay, but super rare in captivity, would prefer another lemure like a sifaka or maybe the radiated turle.

Tomato frog is my jam, but why two exhibit animals? And an extinct one? Why?

TBH I’m just not 100%on board with a pack covering such a small region at this stage… I’d prefer an ‘islands’ pack or similar which could include Madagascan species. Specifically;

Fossa: a must have - I love ‘em and definitely want them in-game.

Bamboo lemur: Sure. Wouldn’t be in my too 3 lemur choices but ok.

Flying fox: Maybe…. Personally I’d prefer a species from SE Asia or Australia. Either way though, there’s have to be aviary mechanics in-game first.

Aye-aye: This would be my top lemur choice. True, it’s not super-common in captivity but it’s not unknown and we have 2 very common species in-game. If we limit ourselves to one more lemur I’d totally choose this over other lemurs.

I’d go Panther chameleon rather than jewelled but nothing wrong with your suggestion.

Tomato frog: Another exhibit species? Assuming we got only one (as for all the other packs) I’d go with the chameleon.

Elephant birds: I’d prefer Frontier stick to extant species.

Personally I like the idea of a Madagascar Pack. Nothing really wrong with your picks, I like the fossa and the aye-aye for this pack especially, and any chameleon is a good choice (though like ElectricMonk I think the panther chameleon is the more obvious selection). The flying fox being included would necessitate aviary and flying mechanics, neither of which is in the game as yet and we can't know for sure it ever will be (though the suspicion is that it will be).

My picks for Madagascar would be;

- Fossa.
- Aye-aye.
- Coquerel's sifaka.
- Greater bamboo OR crowned lemur.
- Panther chameleon (for the exhibit).

Edit: I'll also give a shoutout to the radiated tortoise, a critically endangered species endemic to Madagascar.

Last edited:
So our picks are pretty similar. Also, personally I chose jeweled over panther because panther just looks to slim in my opinion but still nice picks either way.

So our picks are pretty similar. Also, personally I chose jeweled over panther because panther just looks to slim in my opinion but still nice picks either way.
The panther chameleon is the more widespread in captivity, hence why I picked it. It's also the "iconic" chameleon, i.e. the one that most people think of when you say "chameleon" (that or the Jackson's, with its three horns). Either one is fine, though.

Frankly I'd be totally on board with a Madagascar pack featuring, like, four whole lemurs. It's unreasonable. I don't care. Load me up with those lemurs.

1. Black and white ruffed lemur
  2. Crowned lemur
  3. Coquerel's sifaka
  4. Aye-aya
  5. Fossa
  6. Radiated tortoise
  7. ???
  8. Panther chameleon
I'm suddenly realizing that maybe a 7+1 Madagascar pack isn't the most feasible without doubling up on tortoises or euplerids, using a fifth lemur (don't think I won't), or trying to justify making a tenrec work. I don't think any euplerids besides the fossa are widely kept in captivity and I don't think there's a second tortoise that would be particularly interesting so honestly a fifth lemur or tiny little tenrec is probably the way to go. ...or more realistically I should just drop the notion of doing a 7+1 Madagascar pack without aviaries to begin with.

I would say Madagascar has enough unique animals to make a really quite good animal pack. As well as the fossa, the radiated tortoise and all the lemurs (I would be tempted to choose the black lemur as one of my options - it is the most commonly-kept of the Eulemur species in Europe and has amazing dimorphism between the sexes), a few other animals that haven't been mentioned yet here:

Another potential habitat mammal could be the Malagasy giant rat. They are both longer and heavier than a meerkat, so would fit as a habitat animal. They are Endangered and are found in captivity (at least sixteen zoos in Europe alone); although they are mainly kept in nocturnal houses they have been kept in outdoor enclosures in at least one zoo and they are often mixed with aye-ayes - in fact I believe every UK zoo with aye-ayes mixes them with the giant rats.
1630838099506.png

Although the blue coua has been mentioned, I would be tempted to choose the giant coua as representation of these birds - it is the biggest living coua by far and is basically the Madagascan equivalent of a roadrunner. They aren't exactly common in captivity (only one place in Europe keeps them, to my knowledge) but then the same is true of basically all the couas.
1630838111812.png

If a ground bird is desired, then the pitta-like ground roller is a good alternative. They are much smaller than the coua and would be the smallest habitat animal in the game by far but they are almost entirely terrestrial, only flying up to low branches in order to perch and watch for prey, are kept in captivity (Zurich Zoo has them in the amazing Masoala Hall) and are probably one of the most colourful birds around.
1630838128191.png

As well as the radiated tortoise, another habitat reptile option could be the Madagascar big-headed turtle. It is a fairly large species, with a fifty centimetre shell, is a Critically Endangered species that is kept and bred in captivity and are a living fossil - they last shared ancestry with the other turtles over 80 million years ago. It would also add another diving species to the game.
1630838159152.png

As for exhibit animals, Madagascar is diverse enough to almost have a full exhibit pack of its own:
  • Chameleon (panther would probably be easiest, as it has very few physical differences between the senses)
  • Madagascar giant day gecko
  • Henkel's leaf tailed gecko (a threatened species now part of a Europe-wide breeding programme being run by Chester Zoo)
  • Madagascar tree boa
  • Tomato frog
  • Malagasy rainbow frog (one of the prettiest frogs there is, an Endangered species that is being kept and bred by zoos including Chester Zoo)
  • Mantella (the golden mantella is probably the most familiar, although it is quite similar to the golden poison frog - I would probably choose the blue legged mantella)
  • Madagascan blue stick insect
  • Madagascar hissing cockroach
  • Comet moth (on of the world's largest silkmoths and very sedentary, which could make it a better option as an exhibit animal rather than a free-flying species)

Lots of people on board with a Madagascar pack - I just want to point out that a key element of my statement was “at this stage”…. Inevitably a Madagascar pack would be lemur heavy (2or3 / 4 habitat animals) which would mean 4 to 5 species of lemur in-game. I’m fine with that eventually butATM, I think there are other groups needing more representation. Especially;

1: marsupials… only 2 in-game so far.
2: rodents…. None so far.
3: monkeys… only 2 so far.
4: monotremes…. None so far

a Madagascar pack at this stage would give the island a larger representation of species than either Australia or Europe.

I get ya, but i really feel like it could be a very cool pack at some point, i mean i even made my own thread a while back and madagascar could really give us some unexpected diversity. Its not just lemures and fossas, the allready mentioned radiated tortoise, giant coua and malagasy giant rat are all three great animals that could fill out underrepresented taxonomic groups. Lemures, while not being true monkeys, would also still be able to nicly fill out our monkey houses in place of them. Not an ideal solution, but defenetly a nice way to bump up those numbers.

Its just a thing of a wait game, the longer the support is coming and the more dlc are out, the more likly the madagascar dlc would get. Its a recognisable place, the fossa is a good headlining animal and of all the smaller regions, this is the one i would bet if its about making the most bucks. The problem is just, that right now we have atleast 3 way more obvious and more needed dlcs (NA, EU, Birds), so all we can do is hope and wait.

Lots of people on board with a Madagascar pack - I just want to point out that a key element of my statement was “at this stage”…. Inevitably a Madagascar pack would be lemur heavy (2or3 / 4 habitat animals) which would mean 4 to 5 species of lemur in-game. I’m fine with that eventually butATM, I think there are other groups needing more representation. Especially;

1: marsupials… only 2 in-game so far.
2: rodents…. None so far.
3: monkeys… only 2 so far.
4: monotremes…. None so far

a Madagascar pack at this stage would give the island a larger representation of species than either Australia or Europe.
Between the mandrill, macaque, proboscis monkey, and capuchin, we’ve actually got 4 monkeys. But I totally get what you mean and agree. As much as I do want a lemur blowout I certainly wouldn’t want or expect it before or instead of more love for Australia or SA in particular.

1. Black-and-white ruffed lemur
2. Mongoose lemur
3. Coquerel's sifaka
4. Fossa
5. Nile crocodile (yes, they live in Madagascar and even feature in the Bronx Zoo's Madagascar! house)
6. Radiated tortoise (would have compatibility with all lemurs)
7. Panther chameleon (exhibit)
8. Madagascar giant day gecko (exhibit)

Top Bottom