General / Off-Topic Major Longevity Breakthrough reported

The progress to immortality just got jumpstarted.

( As expected this involves both mTOR and Insulin signalling, and the genetic control system that interfaces between us and out mitochondria - that we've been talking about before. )

But the synergism is unexpected, producing an untold 500% increase in lifespan. That means that the disease progression in the organisms is virtually at a halt.
The implications for reduction in human disease is staggering. We really don't understand how ageing is regulated, and this is the beginning of the unravelling of the details.

The progress to immortality just got jumpstarted.

( As expected this involves both mTOR and Insulin signalling, and the genetic control system that interfaces between us and out mitochondria - that we've been talking about before. )

But the synergism is unexpected, producing an untold 500% increase in lifespan. That means that the disease progression in the organisms is virtually at a halt.
The implications for reduction in human disease is staggering. We really don't understand how ageing is regulated, and this is the beginning of the unravelling of the details.
Oh nooooo Imagine how many years more i need to work then! QUICKLY need to get retired BEFORE it's released to the masses :p

There are two things that a genetically born male has that never stop growing. It's there ears and nose. Thus if a genetically born male were to live long enough they would eventually look like the Hindu God Ganesha. Increasing one life span by 500 percent would mean a lot of dudes would be looking a lot like elephants.

There are two things that a genetically born male has that never stop growing. It's there ears and nose. Thus if a genetically born male were to live long enough they would eventually look like the Hindu God Ganesha. Increasing one life span by 500 percent would mean a lot of dudes would be looking a lot like elephants.
A lot of people are putting their noses into stuff that's none of their business anyway, so long or not the effect is already here :)

So maybe the "gods" were just people that were immortal? ;)

Does it slow ionizing radiation induced DNA errors? Probably not. Unless we're living in lead suits or underground...

Just imagine who will want this

Almost everyone, at least once it becomes common place enough.

and be able to afford this

Probably a far smaller proportion.

That's exactly why I think we shouldn't be messing with this stuff. Death is a great equalizer...and I prefer it to stay that way.

People have highly unequal access to nutrition and medicine right now, so much so that the poorest segments of society can expect to live about half as long as the best off. I've never seen this as a compelling argument for everyone to be made destitute or for advances in medicine to cease. Rather, it's an argument to make these advances as accessible to as many people as possible.

It's the same story with any future advances that could further improve quality and duration of life. The cessation of life being the only equality most people will ever see is a pretty sorry state of affairs and certainly no reason to ignore or limit such advances, even if the benefits of such advances are likely to be unequally distributed.

Does it slow ionizing radiation induced DNA errors? Probably not. Unless we're living in lead suits or underground...

No, it doesn't. But it might accelerate DNA repair mechanics.

Increased NAD+ levels are critical for that function, and there's a LOT of research in that direction. So much so that it's being called the "NAD fad". Ever since the Sinclair lab reported the effects of nicotinamide riboside in rats.

Here's one from this week: a bioengineered novel enzyme that makes NAD+ using lactate as the substrate. That enzyme would reverse the effect of muscular fatigue, and generate both energy and DNA bioprotection. I guarantee you that this would also contribute to directly reversing ageing, as well as conferring supernatural endurance.

We engineered LOXCAT, a fusion of bacterial lactate oxidase (LOX) and catalase (CAT), which irreversibly converts lactate and oxygen to pyruvate and water. Addition of purified LOXCAT to the medium of cultured human cells with a defective electron transport chain decreased the extracellular
lactate pyruvate ratio, normalized the intracellular NADH:NAD+ ratio, upregulated glycolytic ATP production and restored cellular proliferation. In mice, tail-vein-injected LOXCAT lowered the circulating lactate pyruvate ratio, blunted a metformin-induced rise in blood lactate pyruvate ratio and improved NADH:NAD+ balance in the heart and brain.

It's sort of like Dr McCoy's Triox compound he "used" on Vulcan during the Kirk and Spock fight.

Last edited:
In the context of a society so deeply concerned with resource over-consumption and pollution, the positive merits of increased lifespans in this conversation seems at odds with many people's stated beliefs.

That's exactly why I think we shouldn't be messing with this stuff. Death is a great equalizer...and I prefer it to stay that way.

Perhaps it is an indictment of human nature that we may intellectually solve the most difficult existential question of mortality before we can equitably share our resources, a trait taught in kindergartens.

Kindness is always more important than we assume.

Instead of continuing to die as a solution, maybe we could become better people. The sort that deserve immortality.
This isn't my field, but perhaps it needs to become everybody's field.

I need to do more philosophy in addition to the nut-and-bolts physiology I trained in. Thanks for the direction, CC.

First thing that came to my mind:

What a flippin nightmare! The Koch brothers, Murdoch, Trump, Gina Rinehart, Walton family, Sheldon Adelson, Berlusconi, Icahn, Johnson....

I think anyone with a brain worth a cup of tea can finish that sentence.

Second thing that came to mind:

What would my music sound like if I were to live that long in 450 years.

What role, if any, would music play in a cultural context in January 2470? What would the social contract at large look like? What species diversity would be left?

.... and many more second thoughts.

The way things are, I have zero doubts that this would be abused and isolated by a few to take even more and lasting advantage of the many.

In the context of a society so deeply concerned with resource over-consumption and pollution, the positive merits of increased lifespans in this conversation seems at odds with many people's stated beliefs.
You are far too general

Longer lifespan is not necessarily a paradise for many people.

Do not believe the advertisements which show sporty elderly people with bright teeth.

With less overconsumption and pollution, people would also certainly live longer and healthier lives, and naturally without being filled with medication and anti-depressant.

As usual you have an angelic view of the reality.

:)

You are far too general

Longer lifespan is not necessarily a paradise for many people.

Do not believe the advertisements which show sporty elderly people with bright teeth.

With less overconsumption and pollution, people would also certainly live longer and healthier lives, and naturally without being filled with medication and anti-depressant.

As usual you have an angelic view of the reality.

:)
And as usual you utterly miss my point:)

First thing that came to my mind:

What a flippin nightmare! The Koch brothers, Murdoch, Trump, Gina Rinehart, Walton family, Sheldon Adelson, Berlusconi, Icahn, Johnson....

I think anyone with a brain worth a cup of tea can finish that sentence.
"All the people I hate would live longer, too!!!"

Imagine that.

No, it doesn't. But it might accelerate DNA repair mechanics.

Increased NAD+ levels are critical for that function, and there's a LOT of research in that direction. So much so that it's being called the "NAD fad". Ever since the Sinclair lab reported the effects of nicotinamide riboside in rats.

Here's one from this week: a bioengineered novel enzyme that makes NAD+ using lactate as the substrate. That enzyme would reverse the effect of muscular fatigue, and generate both energy and DNA bioprotection. I guarantee you that this would also contribute to directly reversing ageing, as well as conferring supernatural endurance.

We engineered LOXCAT, a fusion of bacterial lactate oxidase (LOX) and catalase (CAT), which irreversibly converts lactate and oxygen to pyruvate and water. Addition of purified LOXCAT to the medium of cultured human cells with a defective electron transport chain decreased the extracellular
lactate pyruvate ratio, normalized the intracellular NADH:NAD+ ratio, upregulated glycolytic ATP production and restored cellular proliferation. In mice, tail-vein-injected LOXCAT lowered the circulating lactate pyruvate ratio, blunted a metformin-induced rise in blood lactate pyruvate ratio and improved NADH:NAD+ balance in the heart and brain.

It's sort of like Dr McCoy's Triox compound he "used" on Vulcan during the Kirk and Spock fight.
If this works...
I'll be taking a breath every 5th stroke instead of every other stroke in the pool. Crazy.

Top Bottom