Major Sector searchable map

I couldn't find one of these when I was looking, so I decided to build my own - maybe some of you will find it useful too.

Map of major sectors and trilateration progress

It shows the major sectors (Wregoe, Blaa Thua, etc.) of space in the galaxy, and the number of known position stars for each sector on EDSM. The effects of the major expeditions so far - Formidine Rift and Distant Worlds - are clearly visible, and the work of the Sagittarius-Carina expedition is already becoming noticeable as well. The sectors containing Sol, Sag A* and Beagle Point have been highlighted for easier orientation.

I mainly built it so when someone mentions "Pru Auwsy" I could look up where that was quickly, but the ability to see where explorers have gone at a slightly different level to EDDiscovery's map turned out to be quite fun too. (approximately, anyway ... assuming most trilaterations are forwards, and trilaterations are vaguely representative of travel as a whole)

Stars in a major sector not named for that sector (e.g. "NGC 1234 Sector AB-C d1-23" or "Alioth") are accounted for in the trilateration counts, though in the rare case there isn't a standard star in that sector trilaterated that does give slightly odd results.

If you want a personal copy, just save the web page - it's designed to work as a single file.

A few alternative visualisations by Macklin Fox:
- 3-D height maps
- 3-D rotatable

Last edited:
The sector map link in my sig has a Google docs spreadsheet with a lot of sectors - some culled from edsm, some added - may be useful to you. We're trying to replicate the name map from scratch but it's heavy going!

(it's a very large map, each level is 128*128, STUEMEAE / sadge is at 64,64 on the 0 plane)

(Wait a second, where's my signature gone?!)

Do try my Hab-Zone Calculator and check my decoding of UC system names. Ship's log. Sector Map.

Last edited:
Nice work, have some virtual rep since I can't give you the real kind.

Also, I never touched Jackie's signature.

Ian inspired me.

After trying to work out a good way to show this data as an overlay over the galactic map, I gave up and took a different tack that I think compliments Ian's map. The FGE's bot on Fleet Comm now supports location maps, letting you identify regions on the map, or show CMDRs that share their EDSM flight logs on the map. This is all based on an analysis of the EDSM nightly data dumps, much like Ian's map, and one of the side benefits of it is that it will show a CMDR on the map even if they aren't in a system with coordinates, so long as at least one star in the region they're in has coordinates.

These features don't have the holistic data-centric view of the galaxy that Ian's map does. Instead, they're oriented more towards casual tracking of CMDRs.

Satsuma/Aliapoh Pie: region Cepheus Dark Region
FGEBot: Region Cepheus Dark Region
cepheus_dark_region.jpg

Satsuma/Aliapoh Pie: showloc Satsuma
FGEBot: Satsuma was last seen in Pyrie Eurk SW-T b30-0 at 2016-04-18 08:23:43
pyrie_eurk.jpg

I used the EDSM nightly data dumps to generate a list of regions with weighted coordinates, just taking things with procedural-looking names. Corbin Moran did the wonderful map. I used his 4k wide map-with-grid, sizing it down to 1k wide (because this is intended to be sent to Discord clients), and worked out the origin point in pixels, plus the pixels-per-kly. ImageMagick accessed via the node module "gm" does the annotations. This only allows CMDRs who are in procedural systems to be located, of course. I'm thinking of adding in named stars with coordinates, but that would increase the size of the database by quite a bit.

Actually, I just realized who you are :D

Is there a better way of determining the parent region of named stars? Region names don't seem to be included in the nightly data dumps. I was thinking of trying to analyze the coordinates of named systems and finding the nearest region to them, but that seems like a hard solution to what should be an easy problem.

For mine I used a Node script to parse the data dumps. I know the major sectors are 1280 a side, so it was just a matter of looking at a few of the more well-surveyed ones to find out where the borders between them were relative to 0,0,0 and divide the galaxy into my own 1280-cubes.

Having got those cubes which correspond in space to the major sectors, I just need to take the first star with a suitable name in that sector to get the sector name. (One or two words, followed by a star designation e.g. AA-A a0, and the second word isn't "Sector")

Once the sectors are named, iterating over them to get the map is then easy.

For minor sectors I'm not sure how you'd figure out the boundaries without a lot more data.

I used the EDSM nightly data dumps to generate a list of regions with weighted coordinates, just taking things with procedural-looking names. Corbin Moran did the wonderful map. I used his 4k wide map-with-grid, sizing it down to 1k wide (because this is intended to be sent to Discord clients), and worked out the origin point in pixels, plus the pixels-per-kly. ImageMagick accessed via the node module "gm" does the annotations. This only allows CMDRs who are in procedural systems to be located, of course. I'm thinking of adding in named stars with coordinates, but that would increase the size of the database by quite a bit.

Actually, I just realized who you are :D

Is there a better way of determining the parent region of named stars? Region names don't seem to be included in the nightly data dumps. I was thinking of trying to analyze the coordinates of named systems and finding the nearest region to them, but that seems like a hard solution to what should be an easy problem.

I may be able to find a solution to include region name in the dump, but not sure when ;)

I've updated the map with May's data now. There are a lot more names filled in up in the northwestern sector.

(If I've got it right, it should now update automatically every month.)

This map is sweet Ian.

I'm in the NW sector, working my way out from the Abyssal Plains, and I can see my path via your map. Looks like I'm logging data points in sectors that no one ever has yet, cool to see it visually like that.

That's awesome!

...and also slightly worrying, as I can recognise the outlines of at least 3 quite large objects I've contributed myself :eek:

Impressive to see that data compiled in such a way. Thanks!

Well, June's update to the map *almost* worked automatically. Maybe July will be better.

The DWE continues to improve our long range mapping knowledge, with the Roncevaux crossing mapped more closely than many sectors near Sol. In the same area, the FGE's Sag-Carina expedition is clearly visible, both on the wide eastern arc of the arm, and the route back from Beagle point to the tip becoming much more mapped out.

Closer to home, the Formidine Rift surveys have trilaterated over 1,000 stars in the two primary sectors of the Rift itself, as well as leaving a clear trail between the Rift and the bubble.

The southwestern part of the galaxy between the Rift and the line west of the core, containing the Coriolis super-region, remains mostly uncharted for now.

It's still a little too early to see much of the impact of 2.1's improved coordinate locking, though the EDDiscovery map has a lot of solid trails appearing - but next month's map may look very different indeed.

I may be able to find a solution to include region name in the dump, but not sure when ;)

You appear to be just the person to answer an EDSM question. Please correct me if I am wrong in this assumption.

I used EDSM on a trip to the Neutron Star field, loved it. But now I am back in the bubble collecting jump minerals in prep for another venture to the black.
I would like to delete all my systems from the log I have so I can plot my route from afresh on the map without having the old trip mapped still showing. Is there a way to delete all those systems logged without doing it individually? If so can you please help me as I have no idea despite wracking my head and searching.

regards

Jim

What you want to do is get yourself a copy of ED Discovery.

It'll do the uploading to EDSM for you if you enter youe EDSM API key and you can look at maps filtered by date - plus you can pick a different colour for each expedition and see them all on one map but easily visually distinguishable, like this:
7iv1qUA.jpg

I didn't trilaterate much on the blue trip, more on the green (my current one). With 2.1 all the positions are in the log so that's no longer an issue.

What you want to do is get yourself a copy of ED Discovery.

It'll do the uploading to EDSM for you if you enter youe EDSM API key and you can look at maps filtered by date - plus you can pick a different colour for each expedition and see them all on one map but easily visually distinguishable, like this:
http://i.imgur.com/7iv1qUA.jpg
I didn't trilaterate much on the blue trip, more on the green (my current one). With 2.1 all the positions are in the log so that's no longer an issue.

Looks like another good tool to add to the ever expanding list :) Cheers.

Downloaded, setup (despite a few snags on the way) and ready to roll. Just need to get my FSD Engineered a little.

And this map has given me a few ideas of where to go, great work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom