Make fighters landing-capable.

I agree with this, it's something we've raised with dev for a possible future feature. We'd have to get around the whole telepresence thing though.
I appreciate that you're at least evaluating it. Telepresence could be an option (pilot in telepresence or in presence), but i guess the real issue is how to handle the piloting in presence.

I agree with this, it's something we've raised with dev for a possible future feature. We'd have to get around the whole telepresence thing though.
Why have the telepresence concept at all though? If you die in your main ship you don't come back to life because it was a telepresence, presumably its because you ejected via an escape pod. Fighters could use the same concept in regards to ejecting except you appear back in your main ship.

Why have the telepresence concept at all though? If you die in your main ship you don't come back to life because it was a telepresence, presumably its because you ejected via an escape pod. Fighters could use the same concept in regards to ejecting except you appear back in your main ship.
I agree - there are times when lore explanations have to take a step back in favour of “it’s a game😁

What about an audiofile saying"Rescue limpet deployed" once you have been shot. Then a fade to black (one that actually make sense). You then wake up in the pilots chair after the same time of the fighter rebuild. You may have a "Vital signs restored" audio file playing.
And on you go.
Not a big problem.

Last edited:
And if you like to have it even easier, you could just add the audio files.
I guess few will mind if you are back in the mothership in a second.
In combat it is hard to say how much time has passed from the own perspective.

Given that the fighters are smol and have no cargo space - how about a new class of fighter? Uses the same hangar/rebuild options as the known versions, but
  • no guns (ok, maybe a short range "sampling laser" to shoot up those rocks for mats or charge the guardian pylons, similar to the mining laser), so no good for ground combat
  • landable
  • datalink scanner (my pet peeve) so you can do the base espionage missions from your SLF
  • optional telepresence (you can't get out, but can ditch the fighter without consequence) or pilot presence (you can get out, but will suffer some consequences when the fighter is destroyed)
  • no cargo space (need to leave some niche for the SRV)

What about an audiofile saying"Rescue limpet deployed" once you have been shot. Then a fade to black (one that actually make sense). You then wake up in the pilots chair after the same time of the fighter rebuild. You may have a "Vital signs restored" audio file playing.
And on you go.
Not a big problem.
Or you wake up in a medical bay... well... i guess it's too soon for that

I came here to make the exact same request. Sad it's something the player base already requested and were ignored.

I'm really starting to think really do hate the player base - tho I'm guessing the reason they won't is simply because no one would bother using the SRV.
If they introduce caves and caverns, we have a use for the SRV, as more planet types become available then the SRV may become gold again. Heavy weather is not good to fly in, but the SRV would be fine. I would also work below tree canopies. The SRV space has always been underutilised - We need smaller and larger vehicles (think Bike and truck) - there could be a similar logic to airborne vehicles (speeder bike anyone?).

Or you wake up in a medical bay... well... i guess it's too soon for that
Well...
But if you like to add a little punch, have syringe tubes retract from your arms back into the chair inna little cutscene. Accompanied with the sound of a very deep inhaling breath, like waking up from a suffocation dream.

Given that the fighters are smol and have no cargo space - how about a new class of fighter? Uses the same hangar/rebuild options as the known versions, but
  • no guns (ok, maybe a short range "sampling laser" to shoot up those rocks for mats or charge the guardian pylons, similar to the mining laser), so no good for ground combat
  • landable
  • datalink scanner (my pet peeve) so you can do the base espionage missions from your SLF
  • optional telepresence (you can't get out, but can ditch the fighter without consequence) or pilot presence (you can get out, but will suffer some consequences when the fighter is destroyed)
  • no cargo space (need to leave some niche for the SRV)
having a new ground and/or exploration oriented fighter would be great!

If they introduce caves and caverns, we have a use for the SRV, as more planet types become available then the SRV may become gold again. Heavy weather is not good to fly in, but the SRV would be fine. I would also work below tree canopies. The SRV space has always been underutilised - We need smaller and larger vehicles (think Bike and truck) - there could be a similar logic to airborne vehicles (speeder bike anyone?).
They're not going to introduce caves and caverns.

But i would love a speeder bike!

Well...
But if you like to add a little punch, have syringe tubes retract from your arms back into the chair inna little cutscene. Accompanied with the sound of a very deep inhaling breath, like waking up from a suffocation dream.
That could be a good compromise indeed.
However they didn't worry too much about foot death, so i guess making in SLFs death plausible is just an overthinking on our side

But i would love a speeder bike!
Hover Bike!!! :) like that other game that shall not be named...

This would we absolutely great, being able to use SLF to hunt for genetic samples on the planet while the big fat conda is following slowly or better has been sent back to orbit (same as the SRV mechanic). Just enabling the existing fighters to land would be good. Having a new exploration “fighter” with big panoramic view (to find plants easily) and maybe able to carry the SRV would be perfect.

Thanks Zac. Great to have your eyes on this one.

it’d be absolutely fantastic to have SLFs able to land/disembark from.

I’d like them to function similar to SRVs.
  • have ship go into orbit if you get too far away like it does for the SRV. If npc crewed it would follow (unless commanded to hold) to keep up.
  • if you land the fighter or disembark, it would hover, or if npc crewed circle the area.
  • fighter has no FSD, so recall/dismiss ship options just like SRVs.
  • when destroyed with player or physical multicrew piloting, player rejoins ship same as with SRV

Non-physical Multicrew telepresence & fighter “printing” is trickier. Either have that co-exist somehow, OR change fighters so regardless of type of multicrew, rebuilding a fighter is just a new Synthesis recipe. (Let us do the same for SRVs). One rule for all.

updated: if a player disembarks and walks away from their SLF it remains on the planet just like SRVs do. (I’ve not tested how far you can go before SRVs despawn, but same rule for SLF)
Player can still recall the mothership if SLF is lost.

Last edited:
Top Bottom