Make fighters landing-capable.

Can't ... because in space combat it is like candies - you can lose 10 fighters per fight easy. So it must remain "tele-presence".
So we need 2 fighers - with tele-presence (current) and physical presence (to land). If physical fighter dies CMDR must die too as on SRV.
see but that's just it. the 'necessity' of telepresence kind of went out the window with odyssey. Forget how somehow you're just fine after asphyxiating on a planet 30kly away from the bubble. You are 3d printed like candy in combat zones.

see but that's just it. the 'necessity' of telepresence kind of went out the window with odyssey. Forget how somehow you're just fine after asphyxiating on a planet 30kly away from the bubble. You are 3d printed like candy in combat zones.
No...fighters are remote controlled DRONES, where you're projected via VR/hologram.
So it is disposal, 7th grade has 32 of fighters. How should I relaunch it if I got killed?

So for landing need "flying srv" where it will be 1-2 per hangar and CMDR should die. Also it cannot be controlled by NPC as it is hard to "resurrect" it any where.

the same way you redeploy in on foot conflict zones after getting blown into tiny bits by a rocket launcher. If thats acceptable so is manned fighters being lost over and over
I don't die there to be honest.
But well, I could be carried by medics / reanimated / cloned. That is big war operation. While my ship (for example small killback) has no room to keep reanimation on board to revive me in random space point far away.

Simple is always best…. Option to telepresence or in-person before launch. All current ramifications would stay the same. Just adding landing gear. Nothing else. Treat it like a flying SRV as far as I’m concerned. Players will find uses and there would be a hell of a lot more of them than the new scorpion.

Death? Just like an SRV death. Whatever that is as I have never died in an SRV I could not say.

want know why the dev folks ignore the community 99.8% of the time and his community managers to deal with you? Because you folks can make something as simple as landing gear and an on/off switch to a current mechanic much more complicated than it needs to be.

That said…. They could just introduce a size 7, 8 slot “heavy fighter” bay that would would allow the larger ships to pack away a sidewinder, Eagle or 2 and negate the entire issue. Small ships stay relevant, big ships can be competitive with multi crew, explorers get extra eyes that can go to tight spaces, traders can load and unload to small docks… just the wins I can think of off hand.

Last edited:
I don't die there to be honest.
But well, I could be carried by medics / reanimated / cloned. That is big war operation. While my ship (for example small killback) has no room to keep reanimation on board to revive me in random space point far away.
Yeah, all that done in 1-15s?

Again this is a game, the remote controlled fighter is a pointless gimmick who's necessity is undermined by the mechanics in the rest of the game

Everyone is so fixated on "Telepresence" or not, that they're worried about whether or not you could work on a gameplay aspect. Telepresence is an outdated gameplay techsplanium that really isn't working with the release of Odyssey. I have ideas on how to change it, but the matter is, SRV death is handled in a way, on foot death is handled in a way, and current fighter death is handled in a way. From what I can tell, landing a fighter won't change how the game works that is so radically different from an SRV or on foot. If you die, you go back to your ship.

As long as the ability to land doesn't change the game so radically that it's no longer usable, then why does it matter if it's telepresence, physical presence, or something else?

What if destroyed fighter instead of being blown up could be collected within certain period of time to:
  • revive pilot who choose to fly physically
  • resupply the limit of SLF to be produced (or replace SLF manufacturing with same mechanic as ammo resupply, and possible allow to resupply SRV having enough materials)
If we had an intelligent enough NPC crews (and ability to dismiss main ship while flying in SLF) - we could recall the ship and order NPC to collect our damaged SLF (or escape pod) with pilot body inside.

I posted once a tread suggesting add ability to disable ships to avoid being blown up - maybe there is some correlation in between.

My suggestion for replacement of the Telepresence is a variation of what was used in the show Dark Matter. (Thanks to Cosmik_Debris for reminding me.)

Basically:
You are flying with a living 3D printed clone. That clone has your consciousness uploaded. When the clone dies, it sends your consciousness back to wherever "home" is.

That home could be your ship. It could be the last station you visited. It could be a chain of clones that get reset if the top-most (ship) clone is destroyed. Perhaps it could be a mysterious place reserved for housing all commanders' consciousnesses, and you are always in a new 3D clone body that is sent where it is allowed to / supposed to go.

That would allow for on-foot exploration.
It would explain why your ship blows up in the black 40k LY away and you are immediately back at the station with a new ship.
It would allow ship-based fighters to land and have a person on board to explore with.
It would explain/allow on-foot exploration with an SRV. (I haven't played Odyssey yet, not sure how it works)

Come on, this is sci-fi. There's bound to be a way to do it. Just be creative.

Top Bottom