Make getting to King or Admiral mean something?

Currently there is no meaningful reason for players to get the top rank in the Empire or Federation. What if there was?

Could a couple of Empire or Federation specific Fleet Carrier layouts be created that become available when you hit the top rank in either faction? It would give people something to aim for while ranking up to the top level, it would let them customise their carriers more and "show their colors".

Make something else happen in game like an Imperial carrier in a Federation controlled system attracts more system patrols around it while its there?

Hat tip to CMDR Vorpia for this idea.

I suspect they had something in mind for it at some point, but either lost their way or changed direction on it.
I always figured that they would at least offer some cosmetics for holo me or the ships, but well nothing so far. I am for adding a little something for the FC if they get around to it. I will never see it since the only FC I ever visit is my own, but why not.

Always been silly names for the ranks.

It wasn't too bad in Frontier, where you were the only player. Sure, i've murdered a million people for the Imperials. Now they want to make me their king. I'm cool with that. In ED though, there are perhaps hundreds (or thousands?) of kings of the empire.

Yeah, i know the official explanation, that you are not actually king, its just like some sort of mercenary rank they give you. But still sounds silly.

As for reward...erm, sure. Have a decal :p

Personally I'd prefer it if they removed and/or revamped the rank systems entirely, as they are currently nothing other than a timegate trapping swathes of new players in incredibly boring mission loops. If you add more rewards after the Cutter you're essentially just adding more Mainani for the majority, which is a negative in my book. Sure, I know, "people choose to grind" and "you can gain rank organically" but I'm gonna go ahead and say anyone earnestly defending the current rank system from a design point of view is being facetious (change my mind).

Make them part of a set of Navy missions like in the X games, or at least tie them into the BGS in a meaningful way so people can get a foot in the door of one of Elite's only dynamic systems. Definitely don't just add carrots onto your dumb stick.

I'd like to see the ranks getting some meaningful effects on the game world.

For instance, if you have a very high rank with, say, the Federation, then when arriving at any new system where there are Federal aligned factions, your initial rep with those factions would start at friendly instead of cordial. If you're an admiral (or king) then certainly the factions of your aligned superpower would trust you a bit more than a total stranger no?..
This would allow the time to get allied and unlock the better missions to be made shorter, rewarding the players for their long time loyalty to the superpower in question. And alleviate the effect of moving to a different place and having to start over from scratch every time. While I believe that "local rep" should definitively be a thing, being high ranked with the ruling superpower should at least boost your initial rep with similarly aligned local factions.

Likewise, if you have a high imperial rank and flying in an imperial system, system security would arrive sooner when you're being attacked, as being a "person of importance" would make the system security prioritize giving you assistance.

Again, if you have a high rank you could also get small discounts on stations ruled by factions alined to the same superpower you have a high rank in.

I'd like to have the opposite as well, being high ranked in a superpower having negative effects on systems and stations ruled by factions aligned to the opposite superpower, but for that superpower ranking had to be mutually exclusive and that ship has sailed.

There are many small little things that could be done, requiring no additional gameplay mechanics, to make ranking up rewarding in itself by reflecting your current rank/status on the game world, instead of just being a numeric counter to unlock ships.

Overall I think reputation is very underused as a reward, for instance search & rescue currently has pathethic rewards and most don't give a fig about it, but they could give very high rep bonuses if you delivered the escape pods to their home factions in one piece (also, why aren't there any search and rescue missions?..), again creating another system where you wouldn't have to grind rep from scratch. Ater all you saved those people for almost no money, certainly that would earn a bit of extra initial trust, no?..

It's not just the top ranks. Each rank should feel rewarding in some way. There are no rewards for many ranks at all. And the permits they reward you? They should at least have some unique missions when you visit those systems. Maybe like ram tah's mission when you land in a station at his system, Sirius I think it was?

I agree there is so much cool stuff that could be done with the ranks.
But i will say this: i enjoyed the rank grinds. I know a lot of people dont, but i felt that i had a mission, a purpose, i was working for the superpowers. Being a courier at ngalinn mainani was cool. There was so many courier missions, i had to lick and choose the best ones, i had a fast ship, there were ither players doing the same, it was cool. Same for the federation at Canpous exphiay. I was doing courier and cargo. I had a big ship this time. Choosing what cargo to take and to fill my hold in the best way. I got interdicted, i fought, i evaded. There was lots of missions and it was engaging.

Now that im done with it i kind of feel like i have no mission other than upgrading ships.

I agree there is so much cool stuff that could be done with the ranks.
But i will say this: i enjoyed the rank grinds. I know a lot of people dont, but i felt that i had a mission, a purpose, i was working for the superpowers. Being a courier at ngalinn mainani was cool. There was so many courier missions, i had to lick and choose the best ones, i had a fast ship, there were ither players doing the same, it was cool. Same for the federation at Canpous exphiay. I was doing courier and cargo. I had a big ship this time. Choosing what cargo to take and to fill my hold in the best way. I got interdicted, i fought, i evaded. There was lots of missions and it was engaging.

Now that im done with it i kind of feel like i have no mission other than upgrading ships.
I'm guessing you already did the guardian and engineer unlocks and elite rankings? If so, then you can anticipate exobiology...

Top Bottom