Make it hard

Just to add to my above response: I think you bring up a point that I didn't really articulate before.

There is such a wide gap in the challenge level between high ranked NPCs, and player gankers/pirates/PvPers.

snip
The choice is - either risk almost guaranteed death from a well equipped PvP ganker, or go into Solo and have no risk at all. There is no "a bit of risk but I can handle it." It's just two extremes. I think that's what bugs me more than anything. Perhaps it's a matter of perspective...but that's my experience.
Ok i get your point. Have you ever considered playing in a PG group that DOES permit PvP? That seems to be your solution. Because it sounds as though you only play Solo or Open with zero middle ground

Right now, I am ranked "Dangerous" and I never need to worry about NPCs. There isn't a single situation that NPCs concern me. I frequently fly around with hundreds of millions worth of cargo, but the NPCs I encounter, even the hostile ones, are no challenge. My opinion is that interdictions by Deadly or Elite NPCs should be as difficult to evade as a player interdiction. I often feel like I'm cheating when I evade a Deadly Mamba in my Cutter - a behemoth of a ship. I almost want to lose just so things felt a little dangerous.
One of my other accounts has been 'farming' mats in a Haz RES the last couple of days, usual tat - Corvette with 3k shlields & similar hull and plenty of firepower (everything that matters is G5 engineered) - and was 'chased out' twice yesterday when sufficient 2nd owner valuable cargo had been picked up by the collectors to make him interesting :) I think at the height of the fun I had 5 wings of 3 and a couple of lone pirates after the tasty cargo.

That was tremendous fun, and certainly a challenge :)

That account is rated Deadly...

Anyone remember some time back when the npc's were actually dangerous, and subsequently got nerfed? Would like to see them back and think they would fit the game nicely now.
Get out of your G5 FDL "easy mode" godship and I'm sure you'll find many challenging NPCs.

iu

If anyone find the NPC enemies are too easy, then don't engineer your ships.

This suggestion is silly.

1) If you dont engineer your ship and a player attacks you, you will get oneshot.

2) Telling people to intentionally handicap themselves if they want the game to feel challenging is ridiculous. How about setting the game difficulty so that its actually a challenge for well equipped ships? Its not like it cant be set to scale to the player involved, so people who dont engineer dont just get oneshot by NPCs.

Telling people to intentionally handicap themselves if they want the game to feel challenging is ridiculous. How about setting the game difficulty so that its actually a challenge for well equipped ships? Its not like it cant be set to scale to the player involved, so people who dont engineer dont just get oneshot by NPCs.

I did make that suggestion but acknowledged later that it is no full time fix. The reality being, it is unlikely that Frontier are going to resolve this issue in the coming months. You can debate if it is right or not that Frontier place no priority on it but I would say it is almost a certainty they won't.

So what should people do in the meantime?

1) Carrying on playing a game that you find is not challenging.
Seems like a poor choice to me. Only bound to drive you away.

2) Keep asking for changes when this thread alone demonstrates that the player base is unable to agree on what or how changes should be made.
Head-banging exercise, will drive you mad. Like tying to herd cats. Will take as long to get an agreement as it will to implement the changes. Then you know full well some will love the changes others will hate them. You might be a lucky lover of the changes or you could be a hapless hater of the changes.

3) Take matters into your own hands and adapt your game until such issues are resolved.
Would make the most sense to me. Keep adding to the conversation about how or what changes should be made but change your game so in the meantime you can have some fun.

TLDR:

Problem not getting fixed any time soon, take what actions you can to improve the game for yourself.

I did make that suggestion but acknowledged later that it is no full time fix. The reality being, it is unlikely that Frontier are going to resolve this issue in the coming months. You can debate if it is right or not that Frontier place no priority on it but I would say it is almost a certainty they won't.

So what should people do in the meantime?

1) Carrying on playing a game that you find is not challenging.
Seems like a poor choice to me. Only bound to drive you away.

2) Keep asking for changes when this thread alone demonstrates that the player base is unable to agree on what or how changes should be made.
Head-banging exercise, will drive you mad. Like tying to herd cats. Will take as long to get an agreement as it will to implement the changes. Then you know full well some will love the changes others will hate them. You might be a lucky lover of the changes or you could be a hapless hater of the changes.

3) Take matters into your own hands and adapt your game until such issues are resolved.
Would make the most sense to me. Keep adding to the conversation about how or what changes should be made but change your game so in the meantime you can have some fun.

TLDR:

Problem not getting fixed any time soon, take what actions you can to improve the game for yourself.

I mean, that is logical - but in no universe am i going to run around in unengineered ships asking to be ganked with no say in the matter. Its fine - im having fun with the game anyway (i prefer to engineer challenge for myself by going into a CNB with cargo or similar, rather than gimping my ship). Doesnt mean i cant suggest ways the game would be better.

Get out of your G5 FDL "easy mode" godship and I'm sure you'll find many challenging NPCs.
Ha! It was an NPC FDL chasing me all over the cosmos last night. At my level in my non-engineered Python, couldn't make a dent in him, and he was quickly turning me into hamburger.

My only recourse was to un-ass the AO quick, fast, and in a hurry.

Here we go again, another thread by a bunch of neck-beards trying to force "how things should be" on everyone else!

Take your D-sidey and jump into your nearest conflictzone... There, its dangerous. Stop trying to dictate how this game "should be" without ever even trying to see it from other peoples perspective.

I am a new player and its plenty hard, you're not impressing anyone with your try-hard whinefest.

Scale it up with your combat rank, the higher you are the harder it should hit you with stuff.

If you dont engineer then its gonna hurt.
If you do then you have a chance.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Scale it up with your combat rank, the higher you are the harder it should hit you with stuff.

If you dont engineer then its gonna hurt.
If you do then you have a chance.
Only about 50% of the potential playerbase can engineer - as the rest don't own Horizons.

Only about 50% of the potential playerbase can engineer - as the rest don't own Horizons.
Yeah but it seems it's a "you" problem, not a "me" problem... It's their choice they didn't buy Horizons which was on sale numerous times including as we speak... In my opinion it is essential, and not because of engineers but because of planetary landings. Perhaps odyssey will nullify that advantage.

I appreciate the needs of the adrenaline junkies to get their fix. It routinely shows up here on the forum in Elite isn't dangerous or Elite is too easy themed threads. Along with some suggestion or another to subject the entire player base to the poster's preferred style of play. I'm just an old guy relaxing and having fun puttering about in my spaceships. I trade, mine, explore and just look at stuff. I don't do combat. At all. Twenty five ship fleet and only my freewinder is armed. Hard points are for mining tools. I play the game as a spaceflight simulator, and control and minimize risk just as I do in real aviation. Here's the deal, I won't mess with the way the game lets you play, don't you mess with the way the game lets me play.

The genius of Frontier's game design is it accommodates many different types of players with varied play styles and interests. The crown jewel of Elite is the 1:1 scale milky way galaxy, complete with an infrastructure of stations and bases, an extensive commodities market, political powers and many types of spaceships. This is the sand box underpinnings that allows players to pick and choose what they do and how they do it. Your can trade, mine, explore, fight, influence politics, or just putter around. Your choice. All aspects of the game are available to participate in or ignore as the player chooses.

I'm all for making things more exciting and dangerous for those that want it, just as long as it remains optional for those who choose to participate and not forced on those who don't.

Here we go again, another thread by a bunch of neck-beards trying to force "how things should be" on everyone else!

Take your D-sidey and jump into your nearest conflictzone... There, its dangerous. Stop trying to dictate how this game "should be" without ever even trying to see it from other peoples perspective.

I am a new player and its plenty hard, you're not impressing anyone with your try-hard whinefest.

Way to go with the insults. Nobody here said to globally increase difficulty for new players. But increase the challenge at the higher end of the spectrum.

The only global thing that in my opinion should be changed are populated anarchy systems.

And artificially imposing a challenge on yourself, is well artificial and boring. Whats next I have to play with one arm? Turn off my screen?

A good difficulty curve in a game provides more challenge as player skill and time progresses. And does not flatline completely halfway in. Challenge is one the main reasons people play games.

But hey instead of having, a civil discussion, just keep ranting and screaming ;)

And in regards to : not everyone owns horizons. Im sure the game could check if a player owns it or not, and spawn in npc's according to that.

@leeG
I might not like your playstyle, however I understand your perspective.

Personally I think it might just be time to create completely seperate game modes. Even if the whole fdev shared universe idea goes into the bin.

Otherwise there are ways to play around with combar ranks and faction relations. Which basically boilds down to : do a lot of combat and the danger comes to you.

Last edited:
But increase the challenge at the higher end of the spectrum
So my 1st alt is Deadly going on Elite (not long to reach that exalted honour :) ) - just by virtue of playing in CZ's and Haz RES sites, it isn't going to make me a 'super-ace' combat pilot, all I will have done is ticked the box for the required number of elite-ranked opponents...

I find plenty of challenge already, I'd rather not have it made more 'challenging' because a handful of others find the game too easy, thank you :)

Top Bottom