Make Predators Animals hunt and attack The herbivorous and the Small predatory animals like wild dogs

Make Predators Animals ( Lions & tigers & bears & Crocodiles..etc) hunt and attack The herbivorous (Blackbuck & Thompson's Gazelle & Ostrich ..etc) and the Small predatory animals like wild dogs if the player put them in one enclosure for example: (Lions and Thompson's Gazelle in one enclosure)

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZXgA5pHus8

But please, let us have mixed species exhibits even with predatory animals...
Not every predator will attack every herbivore!

Only 2 of these really showed carnivores with herbivores, and they where the weaker types, i mean, even if you put lions with a hippo, rhino, or elephant, in the wild, its far less likely they will even attempt attack them due to the size difference. but it is still a possibility if the lion doesn't have the knowledge that they shouldn't do it.

possibly a work around for people who want to have mixed enclosures like this, could be that if cubs are raised around a herbivore species (that is also young), they wont try to attack them?

but i personally wouldn't want a few select carnivores to not attack any herbivores at all, just because a cheetah wont kill a zebra with a herd, doesn't mean it wont kill a lone zebra or a gazelle (which people are more likely to have in with their zebra).
Cheetah are even known to take down full grown wildebeest if there is more than 1 cheetah.

Also, in the first image of this video, shows 2 zebra chasing off a cheetah, that could either mean the cheetah was stalking them.
or that they regularly scare it away for protection purposes, which couldn't be good for the cheetah.
second image again shows the cheetah following the zebra.

only reason id say that cheetah wont/cant attack, is that there is too large of a herd for it to even try.
which also means a high risk of it getting injured by a kick.

as for Servals, they eat rodents, birds, reptiles, frogs, and insects.
it would be highly unlikely for them to even consider a hippo, even a pigmy.

these i can see with herbivores without issue, as long as the herbivores are not too small or sick. (eg, rabbits, Tortoise)

Last edited:
It's incredibly risky to put zebras with cheetahs regardless. As Jessiy said, cheetahs can and do hunt zebra and wildebeest, especially if there is more than one cat. As for herd size, it doesn't really matter, hunting tactics involve separating one animal from the group, so while group numbers help to minimize the risk of one animal being targeted (100 animals in a group vs 10) it doesn't mean it will deter attack, it just means your likelyhood of being "the chosen one" goes down. Maybe your neighbor will be eaten instead.

The video should only provide an example, but there are a lot of zoos that combine carnivores with other species.

Cheetahs normally don't attack animals that are bigger than themselves. A fully grown and healthy zebra or gnu is not really considered prey.
There might be exceptions, for example if a group of cheetahs is desperate and near starvation, but normally they won’t take the risk of getting hurt (and that risk is very high when they hunt animals that big).
But I don’t want to argue with you, my question is not necessary about cheetahs and zebras.

Other combinations are far more common, cheetahs and white rhinos for example, small cats with bigger herbivores or foxes/wolves and bears.

Especially cats have a high risk of getting bored in a zoo. Even with enrichment tools, there is just not enough stimulation. Another animal can help, but of course, the safety of each animal should be the priority.
And yes, there were also incidents by combining carnivores with other species, so I don’t want to glorify anything.

It’s a lot about careful planning, retreat areas and the size and layout of each encloser. I would like to play around that in the game, without the animals getting killed or upset. A cheetah just would not kill a giraffe, rhino or elephant, even if they are herbivores.

Or let’s but it that way: In the old zoo tycoon a penguin would literally kill a giraffe if getting the opportunity.
I would hate to see something like that in planet zoo.

PS: If you are interested in that kind of topic, have a look here: http://zoorope.hu/en-mixed-exhibit-felidae-hyaenidae/

A group of cheetahs is actually quite able to bring down zebra and wildebeest.. females are solitary and mainly hunt smaller impala and gazelle, however males often live together, this allows them to bring down larger prey, like zebras and wildebeest and there are many documents of this. You can even check YouTube.

Like I said, that's not really my point. :(
My point is about not every carnivore in the game should kill every herbivore/other carnivore.

And like I said, normally cheetahs don't attack animals bigger than themselves. I stand by that point.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljVaAbsdrCo

That's a video of five cheetahs bringing down a wildebeest. Couldn't find one with a full grown zebra, but you can clearly see, how mutch they struggle to bring the wildebeest down.
And it's rather uncommon for cheetahs to form groups of five. Normally it's more like two or three brothers that stay together until they are ready to mate.

But my point is not about zebras/wildebeests and cheetahs... -_-

Last edited:
As modern Zoo's are build around animal welfare and as this aspect is highly emphasised by the devs, I highly suspect that when you place these species together in the game, animal ratings and equally park rating will drop. If they will hunt is a different thing, but it wouldn't (for example) be good zoo keeping to keep lions and zebra's together.

Then, that's not how I build my zoo, so It won't matter to me if the OP's request will be a thing or not as I won't be putting these animals together.

Last edited:
@Chris Scott
Yes, there are a few animals out there who must be kept alone, because they would try to attack anything entering their territory.
Lions are another example. Haven’t seen a working mixed species enclosure with them anywhere.

It’s more a thing for smaller species, I guess. And probably also less a thing for animals hunting in groups. A pack of wild dogs will occupy each other better and therefore will be less dependent on stimulation from “outside” then a mostly solitary living caracal.

@Luuknoord
I’m starting to feel offended. My English isn’t perfect, but I’m pretty sure it’s not that bad.

No one wanted to put lions and zebras together (I didn’t even ask for cheetahs and zebras).

And animal welfare is my point the whole time when I’m talking about mixing species.
But well, I don’t have a problem when you just don’t think, sharing a territory and interacting with other animals can be stimulating for the animals.
And yes, it is a complex theme.

My only question was: If carnivores can attack (or maybe even kill) herbivores and smaller predators, don’t let it end like in zoo tycoon.

Not every carnivore will kill every herbivore.

Not every herbivore will feel threatened by every carnivore.

I would like that in the game.

If you are not specifically interested in seeing a small clawed otter killing an elephant – what’s your problem with the whole thing?

Last edited:
There was a whole lot of text in response to my post (Luuknoord), that doesn't make sense at all.

Why would you be offended by my post?

First of all, there is nothing offensive in it. Not a single word in my post is aggressive or offensive. :LOL:
Second. I didn't quote your post, so I was not talking specifically to you. So why would you reply that you are offended?
Third, I only say what I believe is my opinion. There is not a single problem, as you describe it.
Fourth, I was mentioning the OP's request. not yours.

So to summarize my previous post for you, as you seem to be a bit on the back foot regarding English :

I don't think you will ever get good ratings in Planet Zoo, if you mix herbivores and carnivores.
Just by looking at the game design.

edit: removed off-topic content

Last edited:
I’m sorry if I misunderstood your first post. My English isn’t perfect, but that shouldn’t justify such hostility. :(

I certainly don’t have a problem if you want to request unrealistic behaviour in animals. I just don’t understand why anyone would like that in the game.
But since you didn’t read the whole thread, we are probably not even talking about the same topic. So, never mind...

I never requested "unrealistic behaviour....."
I only state what the game mechanics are probably gonna work like. :cautious:

If you would read my posts, you would notice there is nothing hostile. So I'm still not sure why you act like you are a victim of some sort....

edit: removed off-topic content

Last edited:
It is pretty hostile to quote me with: "There was a whole lot of text, that doesn't make sense at all."
And I think I am allowed to state my opinion, even if my english isn't perfect.

You seem to have the opinion that the park/animal rating will drop if you combine any kind of carnivore with other animals because animal welfare is an important part of a modern zoo.

But modern zoos try to combine different species of animals to increase their happiness and enrich their environment.

You can already combine springbok and giraffes or wildebeests and zebras.
Why should the rating drop, if you combine two other species who share the same habitat peaceful in the wild?

Yeah it didn't make sense at all to me, because you stated stuff about me that wasn't in line with what I posted.
And yes, you may state your opinion. I don't say you aren't. But if you do, you must understand what is said and what it's about.

Different species is possible yes, but not natural enemies (I thought I was clear about that and that was the subject of this thread which was started by
abdulrahmanwali).

I conclude we are on a very different wave length. If that is a language barrier, I'll keep that to others.

edit: I edited the previous post to make it even more clearer.
It now says: "There was a whole lot of text in response to my post (Luuknoord), that doesn't make sense at all. "

There was no reason for you to "start feeling offended". None. In fact by saying that, you offended me.
Now tell me why you where "starting to feel offended". When reading this post:

As modern Zoo's are build around animal welfare and as this aspect is highly emphasised by the devs, I highly suspect that when you place these species together in the game, animal ratings and equally park rating will drop. If they will hunt is a different thing, but it wouldn't (for example) be good zoo keeping to keep lions and zebra's together.

Then, that's not how I build my zoo, so It won't matter to me if the OP's request will be a thing or not as I won't be putting these animals together.

Which clearly is a reference to the subject of this thread:

"Make Predators Animals hunt and attack The herbivorous and the Small predatory animals like wild dogs"

Last edited:
I personally would be worried that either the predators will get bored and harm the herbivores or that the herbivores get stressed and attack the predator at one point.

If I remember correctly, in the Berlin Zoo, where wolves and bears are kept together, a wolf was killed by a bear a few years ago.It happens, and i think herbivores would be even more at risk. I feel like it is irresponsible to mix herbivores and predators for the sake of them not getting bored.

What about otters, foxes, mongoos, meerkats, seals, small cats …?
Even anteater or axolotl are predators.

There are a few more predatores than wolves, big cats and bears. :unsure:

Hello All,

Quite a lot of chat has gone on in this thread. I think everyone's maybe focusing on something slightly different within the original title (I'm guilty of this myself in focusing on the "predators attacking smaller predators like wild dogs"). Mixing and matching animals in real life zoo's is something that happens a lot and has varying degrees of success (one good example is monkey world in Dorset has an elderly ring tailed lemur paired in with a elderly stump-tailed macaque because in their own social groups being older they were getting picked on and actually it worked really well albeit a very unusual match); I'm not sure how feasible it will be for the programmers to code every possible eventuality but looking at how well the game is progressing I'm sure some of these things will be in there.

One quick side point I would like to mention though (To be clear this is not directed at any specific individual - just a foot note) suggesting bears are predators I feel a little misguided, they're opportunists and it's more appropriate to call them foragers as they will basically eat whatever they can find. Bear in itself is a very vague term, for example I don't think it would be fair to try and suggest the same behavioural patterns between a polar bear vs. a sun bear, particularly give the massive size and habitat difference. Also before anyone comments back, yes panda's aren't opportunists and have a very different diet but that's pretty exceptional within the classification of "bear". :eek:)

Anyway, we're all just passionate about this game so lets enjoy that together and look forward to when it finally is ready for release.

Top Bottom