make small stories

To raise interest in the game, I propose to make small deviations or plot branches according to the type of board games. among the thousands of tasks that are there - trading, murders, espionage, and so on, randomly scatter about ten tasks that will affect the plot of the game to varying degrees. for example, the pilot brought food to the station and there was a plague, the station was under quarantine by investigators, as a result, after a few cycles, we find out that it was the terrorists who threw the virus into the cargo, and then further develop this story or finish writing that the terrorists were eliminated . you can also destroy the convoy, find out that there was a son of a famous person or bandit and he will now take revenge on the faction that destroyed the convoy and for some time this faction becomes the target for bandits. espionage information can also influence the course of the war, for example, by chance finding out where the death star has a weak spot or which way they are going to attack or who killed Kenny.

need to think. I am sure there are many people with small writing talents who are few for the book, but enough for small stories in the game. I, too, could do this in my free time.

I think these was the sort of things that follow-on missions were supposed to do - a set of interlinked missions that would create a small story for the player, sort of like a side-quest in other games.

Unfortunately they appear to be the usual missions without a logical story progression most of the time*. I suppose the devs are a bit hamstrung by the BGS as to what follow-ons they can do; personally I’d like to have fun little stories decoupled from the rest of the game‘s workings.

* one example I had: Thanks for being our postman on that last mission, now please murder these people.

Vote with all my hands up. From 4-6 tasks short stories (of different tasks - deliver cargo, fight pirates, find something, etc), to full-size stories (like in old Privateer series).

* one example I had: Thanks for being our postman on that last mission, now please murder these people.
Stories must be written by humans, not randomly generated. And of cause, they must be about feelings and emotions, to make the game/universe more alive.

for starters, at least a few global stories about which you can hear in the galnet, but to which a certain player will be involved, accidentally completing a normal task with a second bottom.

I find the game being remarkably "alive", but I personally insist on not growing up too much. I'm 55 but still like playing as if I was 5. Most grown ups lose their imagination in an attempt to be "serious". Way too serious. Remember your inner child and use your imagination. Then all sorts of stories will pop up in this game :)

Stories must be written by humans, not randomly generated. And of cause, they must be about feelings and emotions, to make the game/universe more alive.
The hand written stories are the Interstellar Initiatives and Community Goals, though I think smaller procedural stories could be possible for individual Players.

When I got the mission from my previous post, I thought it could have done with a few intermediate missions, ramping things up before flicking the murder switch - a believable story progression of delivering a warning, then sabotaging a settlement or stealing some cargo.

There have been some excellent story suggestions from players over the years which I’d love to see in-game, but I remember the missions Dev at the time saying it was really difficult to code, so I guess we’re stuck with whatever the BGS sees fit to plop out.
I find the game being remarkably "alive", but I personally insist on not growing up too much. I'm 55 but still like playing as if I was 5. Most grown ups lose their imagination in an attempt to be "serious". Way too serious. Remember your inner child and use your imagination. Then all sorts of stories will pop up in this game :)
Isinona’s vids from Frontier Elite 2 were a great inspiration for me, they can spin exciting adventures out of procgen missions. It’s got me looking away from how much a mission pays, and looking at how much fun I’ll have doing it.

Last edited:
I think your idea is excellent. My point was that if Fdev don't do it, and they seem pretty busy trying to find the bug monster, then you can drop the seriousness and just give in to your fantasy. I've never been a role player before and I missed out on D&D etc, because I was busy being serious. Now I'm a space alien flying towards the edge of the galaxy, going wow! all the time, while sending post cards back to "civilisation". I speak to Verity on my way, and I sometimes turn quickly around in my seat, because I was stupid and named my ship The Nostromo. It's dark out here...

...and I sometimes turn quickly around in my seat, because I was stupid and named my ship The Nostromo. It's dark out here...
Off topic, but the other day I was FAOff floating through an ice ring enjoying the shadow beams when a new bit of ambient music kicked in which I’ve never heard before - part of which sounded like someone breathing. In my VR headset it sounded like someone was just behind my right shoulder...defo one of those times where I was thinking, “do I use pass-through view to have a look?”

I decided not to and put it down to the composer trying to evoke 2001’s EVA sounds :)

Say that to Dwarf Fortress, which builds up procedural stories from the ground up that range from quite heartbreaking to outright funny during the extensive worldgen.

The problem with many procedural stories is that they attempt a top-down approach, where they end up trying to tie together random events with some kind of plot that ends up lacking both meaning and consistency. They tend to introduce new pieces when convenient, generally don't make much sense and any potential twist is literally impossible to see coming because the relevant factors in the twist are only generated when the twist occurs. In order to make a decent procedural story, a bottom-up approach is required that lays out the pieces and major movers, then sets them free to interact with each other while we, the observers and minor movers, only get to see glimpses of it all.

Basically, to make a decent procedural story, you need to begin with several layers of "why" before worrying about the "what".

And this is why I am such a strong advocate for improvements to the BGS. It's impossible to have an interesting story where the majority of the characters are simply a name, face, superpower allegiance and government type.

Top Bottom