Make Solo Powerplay PvE dangerous (targeted interdcitions using existing mechanics)

Powerplay is split into two distinct phases: a collection phase and delivery phase- combat powers destroy specific ships and hauling powers collect specific cargo.

The delivery phase (i.e. traveling about) poses no NPC threat- which means near 100% efficiency and a predictable outcome.

While Open has other players with powerful ships, solo has no NPCs actively pushing back. Interdictions are currently mild, and drop zones around stations are so small no rival Power NPC can approach or attack.

Idea:

Taking elements already in game (spec ops, engineering, interdictions, Powewrplay rank and Powerplay merit count) you introduce targeted interdictions to pose a challenge and disrupt routine travel- after all, Powers are rival gangs and are hostile to each other (bar certain exemptions).

A targeted interdiction is when a player gets pursued by increasingly powerful ships based on merits generated and rank for that cycle.

Rank selects how difficult your opposition will be:

Rank 1: no engineering

Rank 2: (up to) G1 engineering

Rank 3: up to G3 engineering

Rank 4: up to G4 engineering

Rank 5: up to G5 engineering

Merit count dictates how often these NPCs will spawn (mixed with RNG). This would also influence wing size.

Thus NPC resistance only increases with participation- and that at a high level of rank and merit count it makes co-operation in PG or Open more important.

In game:

Players will get messages from their power, for example "enemy agents have noted your presence, they have sent their best to kill you". This in turn would spawn roving wings that would act like hostile security (i.e. they would be red on the radar HUD, and chase you).

Hmm...

You know, that give me an idea...

Hmm...

I am thinking BGS and Powerplay...

Hmm...

But, on subject, sounds good. Not sure if completely workable, but better than status quo where certain powers are somewhat "immune" in Solo and PG to negative opposition...

I understand the general concepts. I have used Powerplay for certain items, but not really caring whether the power was doing well or badly. Not that I really play Powerplay or BGS that much, but I do know that my actions can make quite a mess of other player's plans in these situations. (And I know because I have been politely asked to refrain from operating in certain areas at certain times, because I was messing things up royally for some people...)

;'{P~~~

Er, no- not really. But please, do show yourself up. For the more challenged its replicating Open in Solo- just using NPCs. So if anything its making the modes more even and making PvE well less farming and actually more like it should be, gang warfare.

... or in other words - promote playing powerpants in Open Play as this suggestion would make NPCs progressively more capable in other modes. So not exactly showing myself up.

... or in other words - promote playing powerpants in Open Play as this suggestion would make NPCs progressively more capable in other modes. So not exactly showing myself up.

Its making solo less of a farming sim and the NPCs actually do something to alter the game, for the prescribed reasons. That, and its well signposted activity = resistance...you know, using logic and all.

makes co-operation in PG or Open more important

PG and open- its as if I mention them because....I'm talking about co-operation and not PvP. But please, don't be too blinkered.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
The proposal would disenfranchise those who can't play in either of the multi-player game modes and also those who don't own Horizons, noting that Powerplay is base-game content.

Boiled down to its essence, the proposal seems to be a variant of "make the PvE game more difficult" - which might not be a bad thing in certain cases, however this proposal does so in ways that would adversely affect a not insignificant number of the player-base, i.e. the c.50% who don't own Horizons and also the "significant portion" (to use Sandro's words) who either choose to, or have no choice but to, play in Solo.

Last edited:
The proposal would disenfranchise those who can't play in either of the multi-player game modes and also those who don't own Horizons, noting that Powerplay is base-game content.

Boiled down to its essence, the proposal seems to be a variant of "make the PvE game more difficult" - which might not be a bad thing in certain cases, however this proposal does so in ways that would adversely affect a not insignificant number of the player-base, i.e. the c.50% who don't own Horizons and also the "significant portion" (to use Sandro's words) who either choose to, or have no choice but to, play in Solo.
The 50% who don't use Horizons are propably disenfranchised enough to never play the game again, so screw them.

Actually, FD should make Horizons included in the updates to Odyssey, so that everyone gets it, and only has to pay for Odyssey.
This is ridiculous, not implementing features because of a - in my view - essential update/DLC... * sigh *

Of ED owners, who plays Powerplay?

Also, how do you make Powerplay more exciting given its poor player numbers, knowing FD have limited mechanics to play with? Keeping it like it is will keep those numbers like they are, since nothing happens that actually challenges players.

Its like Thargoid content: optional, much more difficult than normal play. In this proposal (which is opt in to begin with, and that it scales with effort- i.e. the more you do the harder it gets in a logical way).

This proposal also fixes botting, PG AFK by merit of having hard NPCs turn up- you don't have to fight them, you can run but they keep you running and stop you treating Powerplay like a milk run.

You can't have it both ways, because there is no design solution that can stretch the whole game and modes too- you won't have Open only (in whole or part) with tasks tied to modes- you also don't like making solo harder either, even when nothing happens in it.

Last edited:
1601127916518.jpeg

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
The 50% who don't use Horizons are propably disenfranchised enough to never play the game again, so screw them.
The indifference, disregard, or possibly even antipathy from those in support of such proposals towards those who would be disadvantaged by the proposed changes is obvious - and not uncommon. It is also similarly obvious when Open only proposals are made.
Actually, FD should make Horizons included in the updates to Odyssey, so that everyone gets it, and only has to pay for Odyssey.
This is ridiculous, not implementing features because of a - in my view - essential update/DLC... * sigh *
That Frontier chose not to increase the challenge posed by the game, after the introduction of Engineering, to levels that would require players to engineer their ships to survive is possibly quite telling - the developer doesn't seem inclined to throw some players under the bus in the way that some other players would apparently without a second thought.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
You can't have it both ways, because there is no design solution that can stretch the whole game and modes too- you won't have Open only (in whole or part) with tasks tied to modes- you also don't like making solo harder either, even when nothing happens in it.
It seems we can - as the design was set around the time Powerplay was implemented, before the introduction of Horizons, in a manner that reaffirms the opt-in nature of PvP in this game.

It seems we can - as the design was set around the time Powerplay was implemented, before the introduction of Horizons, in a manner that reaffirms the opt-in nature of PvP in this game.

The indifference, disregard, or possibly even antipathy from those in support of such proposals towards those who would be disadvantaged by the proposed changes is obvious - and not uncommon. It is also similarly obvious when Open only proposals are made.

I find it mystifying that by making solo harder I've somehow written an Open only PvP proposal?

Powerplay is opt in, this idea is opt in (i.e. the levels of response are not hidden and react to you)- it replicates wing missions that are hard alone or easier in a group. At no time have I mentioned players going after each other either....

Sadly holding back an unpopular five year old feature (which still uses five year old mechanics) and refusing to update it with mechanincs in the game right now is absurd. CZs were in the early base game, and they have become harder- why not Powerplay?

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
I find it mystifying that by making solo harder I've somehow written an Open only PvP proposal?
Mystifying indeed - when what was being compared was the apparent disregard for those adversely affected by such proposals, whether they be "Open only" or "make PvE harder", exhibited by supporters of such proposals.

Mystifying indeed - when what was being compared was the apparent disregard for those adversely affected by such proposals, whether they be "Open only" or "make PvE harder", exhibited by supporters of such proposals.

So how do you square the circle then? NPCs need to play an antagonistic role but can't according to you- even though (as I pointed out) mechanics of that era have themselves become harder to base game players (CZs) and do not have non-engineering equivalents.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
So how do you square the circle then? NPCs need to play an antagonistic role but can't according to you
That's not what I said. What I did say is that I'm not in favour of the proposed means of making the NPCs more challenging, across the board, by the use of engineering.

Then there's the extent of additional challenge that was proposed - to attempt to require players to play in the multi-player modes.

Whoa! A lot of venom, here, isn't there?

For the record: I see the problem being addressed, even though I do not engage in Powerplay to the level that some do. Even as a neophyte, I can see the imbalance inherent in the "milk runs" that some Powers get versus the others. I see this as a reasonable attempt at solving a real problem. So why does everyone seem to want to just shoot it down? Have you got a better solution?

;'{P~~~

The only way pp can work is if it is for advanced players only, not open only in case confused coz console..
It is end game material and to consider in any other way just makes a mockery of what the bgs is and what that requires.
No matter if horizons was the base game, there will still be players who would get slaughtered with that proposition, then tears, nerfs and square one again... yay humanitay!
In its current form it's just a joke, no one honours it with songs and prolly never will..
However, if it was something to aspire to(maintains the in game badge as being part of the game), then it may find its place.
As for weapons, just spread them around factions(related) that need to be in control of the shipyards, some extra gameplay in that methinks.
There are plenty of players who would re-engage if it was improved or changed but if we can't get even the slightest bit airbourne then we are done here, sadly.
I have seen other propositions, drop in zones, also c&p which could work in tandem...
Maybe?

That's not what I said. What I did say is that I'm not in favour of the proposed means of making the NPCs more challenging, across the board, by the use of engineering.

Then there's the extent of additional challenge that was proposed - to attempt to require players to play in the multi-player modes.

to attempt to require players to play in the multi-player modes.

Its not a requirement- not even I said that- I said this:

and that at a high level of rank and merit count it makes co-operation in PG or Open more important

Plus, wing missions can be done alone too, its up to the player- and also that you can play to your 'level'.

In the end, if you want NPCs to worry players (and alter how they play) they have to be a threat. There is no other way in ED- if you had larger (four plus) wings of unengineered ships you are then replicating what exists at NAVs.

So I'll ask again, how do you make NPCs challenging without making them challenging? Why is it CZs can change regardless of having engineering or not, but Powerplay has to remain as it is? Why is it Thargoids and wing missions can be done in all modes according to taste, but Powerplay cannot?

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
I see this as a reasonable attempt at solving a real problem.
That's one opinion - other opinions naturally vary.
So why does everyone seem to want to just shoot it down? Have you got a better solution?
A change proposal does not mean that a compromise needs to be reached - sometimes the answer is a simple "no, I don't like that idea". Nor do those not in favour of the proposal require to work with the proposal to attempt to improve it.

Top Bottom