Make the Galaxy Map VR friendly and one more suggestion

The Galaxy map is great on desktop but it is complete rubbish in VR. You can't type the name of systems in VR (unless you are a master typist who can type blind) because there is no virtual keyboard. This tech exists already in many games and would be easy to implement in ED. It would make the galaxy map something actually usable in VR. The other functional improvement would improving the way you can select a system in VR. Normally, you just do it with the mouse but in VR most people are playing with some kind of controller and the Galaxy map is not set up for that. Please implement these changes. The galaxy map is nightmarish for those of us using VR.

One other thing that would be a huge improvement to the map in general. Allow players to plot their own course (Ie: waypoints). For explorers, this would be a huge improvement. you could find systems with valuable planets and objects to scan and set your course one time rather than having to re-plot every time you finish a system.

thing is....... you get used to it. Once you pass the 'Galaxy map/System map in VR is unusable' and then spend some wasted time** binding the HOTAS to something you'll remember then it becomes just slightly irritating.

** "We don't want to waste your time" - Fdev

leaving the headset on I leave the hotas and grab the mouse to navigate when using VR... it works but ya, some updates/upgrades would be sweet when the headset is on.

leaving the headset on I leave the hotas and grab the mouse to navigate when using VR... it works but ya, some updates/upgrades would be sweet when the headset is on.

Yes, you can do that, but but its not a solution its a stop gap measure. More importantly, you still can't input a system name, which an in-game keyboard would fix.

thing is....... you get used to it. Once you pass the 'Galaxy map/System map in VR is unusable' and then spend some wasted time** binding the HOTAS to something you'll remember then it becomes just slightly irritating.

** "We don't want to waste your time" - Fdev
yeah, pretty much this...lol

I don't care about in-game keyboard (I can type by feel).
But, the UI is 2d and is hard to see.
The star selection popup does not hang off the star.... needs fixing.

There is one thing where the VR galaxy map works better: it actually selects the correct star, unlike desktop which does not always.

I find the Galaxy Map ok in VR. It could be fixed slightly, but I sometimes move around the galaxy map in VR just for kicks. I do agree that it needs a way to input text so we can search for whatever system, to plot course. All needs for any input really could be achieved in a tab in the Galaxy Map interface. What I'd suggested before(as many have) is that there should be a VR keyboard in there...the Galaxy Map requires text entry to find systems, and text entry for renaming our bookmarks. Aside from that, we only use text when chatting, which I'll leave alone for now.
The Galaxy Map should therefore be the thing to use for all ED database-like info. The reason this would work is because no other function, while flying your ship, replaces what you see with a whole different environment. When you enter the Galaxy Map, essentially you are in telepresence inside the map environment. (thats why you dont see your cockpit, as far as I am concerned). So in that same environment, you could have web-searches, you-tubes, whatever. When you leave that, your telepresence is off and you're back in cockpit.

In VR, you should never have to remove your HMD. I agree that Elite Dangerous is fantastic in VR, but the moment you have to remove the headgear, you loose points.

I've read comments in the past, maybe even from FDev, to suggest making a VR keyboard in Elite is hard. Thats just hogwash but it makes for a laugh at least.

As far as I know, you cant use the controllers that come with most VR setups nowadays. This is a huge aspect of VR going to waste. If used, you'd be using your controllers to grab and move around the Galaxy Map and other interfaces like they do in many other games.

Plotting your own course would be great. You should be able to plot going in a circle as many times as you want. What I mean is, there should be no limit to how you plot...just pick a bunch of stars and if your ship cant jump the distance,it fills in the jumps needed as it does now. Get on it.

Fly Safe

Top Bottom