Making Small Ships More Viable

Considering both terms are synonymous, I'm not quite sure where the difference is.

Viable is 'is it possible', useful is 'is it helpful'.

If small ships werent viable you'd not be able to make credits and never advance in the first place, hence my confusion. They might be a pig to fly and utterly rubbish at what they do eg Cargo runs, but it can be done. It wouldnt be viable if they didn't have Cargo Holds at all or the space to put them. It would be more useful if they were more versatile or there was more 'reason' to go back to them after getting the other ships. Mostly it is about choice and fun, lets not forget that theres nothing wrong with that, but yes it would be more fun to be able to do more in them, if they had more point after unlocking others instead of just for fun or RP or reasons.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't all combat about staying in a blind spot for long enough?

Long enough yes, guaranteed that the other ship cannot turn on you, unbalanced. We dont disagree on this I dont think, we are just using different language.

Cheap ships have a small rebuy, which is an advantage. Except "credits are meaningless", as everyone says. Hate to take out the nerf/grind hammer, but what if there was a materials rebuy as well as a credits one? I.e. 5% (or some other number) of the mats required to rebuild, rounded down or whatever. Just enough to reduce your tolerance of repeated rebuys, rather than mean you never use a large ship again...

It'd at least mean people who die a lot (PvPers, gankers) would be more likely to go around in lower powered, and lower engineered ships. Also the people who are most capable to deal with the handicap.

Cheap ships have a small rebuy, which is an advantage. Except "credits are meaningless", as everyone says. Hate to take out the nerf/grind hammer, but what if there was a materials rebuy as well as a credits one? I.e. 5% (or some other number) of the mats required to rebuild, rounded down or whatever. Just enough to reduce your tolerance of repeated rebuys, rather than mean you never use a large ship again...
Considering small ships are more vulnerable than larger ships, that would likely cause even less players to bother engineering these in the first place, therefore further reducing their usefulness solely to the point of RP or personal preference. Keep in mind that the only additional material costs for the larger ships would be the number of additional optional, hardpoint and utility slots they have - assuming they contain engineered modules to begin with. Ultimately that makes large ships hardly that much more expensive than a small ship by comparison, possibly even cheaper.

It'd at least mean people who die a lot (PvPers, gankers) would be more likely to go around in lower powered, and lower engineered ships. Also the people who are most capable to deal with the handicap.

This would just discourage fun PvP/tournaments and add an extra frisson of satisfaction for gankers when killing their targets. A PvP equipped ship basically cannot die unless the pilot chooses to overextend, fight to the death for fun, or in extremely rare cases gets dunked by a full wing with accurate grombomb users, but even in those instances the unscrupulous gankers would have time to combat log, and more would if the costs were higher.

Death hasn't been an organic risk or a high cost for anyone other than the most inexperienced new players for years and I don't think it should be. The higher the cost of death the less people want to have fun and experiment, and the more hysterically angry they get about losses on social media. Share the gamespace, take risks and have fun. Shaking people out of large hulls with negative reinforcement would be a bad move, especially for the most vulnerable players.

This would just discourage fun PvP/tournaments and add an extra frisson of satisfaction for gankers when killing their targets. A PvP equipped ship basically cannot die unless the pilot chooses to overextend, fight to the death for fun, or in extremely rare cases gets dunked by a full wing with accurate grombomb users, but even in those instances the unscrupulous gankers would have time to combat log, and more would if the costs were higher.

Death hasn't been an organic risk or a high cost for anyone other than the most inexperienced new players for years and I don't think it should be. The higher the cost of death the less people want to have fun and experiment, and the more hysterically angry they get about losses on social media. Share the gamespace, take risks and have fun. Shaking people out of large hulls with negative reinforcement would be a bad move, especially for the most vulnerable players.
Yeah I take all that. I'd say "remove it for non-notorious players" and have your tournament in an anarchy system. But I guess it'd still cause pain and exploits, unless it was so mild as to be meaningless. Positive reinforcement it is then!

Negative reinforcement is rightly falling out of fashion in game design as a whole. Elite is kind of out on a 1980s limb in that respect, but I think some of what it does can be seen as incidentally positive reinforcement: It's quite challenging and has an incredibly high skill ceiling, it's a great feeling of accomplishment when you learn how to build and fly ships and have demystified an initially confusing galaxy. Plus you feel like you can always get better which is genuinely fantastic.

However, sometimes people conflate these very real incidental challenges with the game being arbitrarily miserly and mechanically flat in its progression. The things that are difficult and satisfying to master in Elite aren't actually rewarded very consistently (or at all) - repetition of banal tasks is. Classic and controversial example, when people say you must 'earn' the Corvette they actually mean you must do one or two brainless things over and over until an arbitrary meter is filled. At no point in the process are you systemically encouraged to get better at the game or to delve in to any of its admirable-but-well-hidden dynamic mechanics. Some people do get better at the game, for sure, but do so incidentally because they jus' love spaceships, yo, rather than through elegant design.

As an aside I realise that the rank system was almost certainly intended to be engaged with as a background process by Frontier, and I doubt anyone in their design meetings had envisaged Ceos/Sothis loops. Trouble is this isn't how most people engage with it, so it is categorically flawed. (On this topic,
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHg99hwQGY#t=2307s
here's a timestamped video about Magic The Gathering of all things that makes some interesting points in this realm)

IMO this is basically the same thing that happens re. small ships; experienced players are chasing the incidental positive reinforcement hidden in a game that doesn't provide it for skill, a game that only knows how to express itself in numberwang.

It is cool that players are able to create so much positive stuff in the sandbox. Lego analogy again - lego provided the medium for our imagination. They make the bricks, we make the castle, everyone's happy. Trouble is in Elite's case it's not just a toy, it's also a game, with rules and checklists and objectives that people want to win (the bricks grew stats!). In this regard the "toy" Elite and "game" Elite are at odds with one another, rather than being complementary and that is... IMHO a big shame.

Sorry for rambling on dubiously... but it passes the quarantine, right?

Last edited:
Negative reinforcement is rightly falling out of fashion in game design as a whole. Elite is kind of out on a 1980s limb in that respect, but I think some of what it does can be seen as incidentally positive reinforcement: It's quite challenging and has an incredibly high skill ceiling, it's a great feeling of accomplishment when you learn how to build and fly ships and have demystified an initially confusing galaxy. Plus you feel like you can always get better which is genuinely fantastic.

However, sometimes people conflate these very real incidental challenges with the game being arbitrarily miserly and mechanically flat in its progression. The things that are difficult and satisfying to master in Elite aren't actually rewarded very consistently (or at all) - repetition of banal tasks is. Classic and controversial example, when people say you must 'earn' the Corvette they actually mean you must do one or two brainless things over and over until an arbitrary meter is filled. At no point in the process are you systemically encouraged to get better at the game or to delve in to any of its admirable-but-well-hidden dynamic mechanics. Some people do get better at the game, for sure, but do so incidentally because they jus' love spaceships, yo, rather than through elegant design.

As an aside I realise that the rank system was almost certainly intended to be engaged with as a background process by Frontier, and I doubt anyone in their design meetings had envisaged Ceos/Sothis loops. Trouble is this isn't how most people engage with it, so it is categorically flawed. (On this topic,
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHg99hwQGY#t=2307s
here's a timestamped video about Magic The Gathering of all things that makes some interesting points in this realm)

IMO this is basically the same thing that happens re. small ships; experienced players are chasing the incidental positive reinforcement hidden in a game that doesn't provide it for skill, a game that only knows how to express itself in numberwang.

It is cool that players are able to create so much positive stuff in the sandbox. Lego analogy again - lego provided the medium for our imagination. They make the bricks, we make the castle, everyone's happy. Trouble is in Elite's case it's not just a toy, it's also a game, with rules and checklists and objectives that people want to win (the bricks grew stats!). In this regard the "toy" Elite and "game" Elite are at odds with one another, rather than being complementary and that is... IMHO a big shame.

Sorry for rambling on dubiously... but it passes the quarantine, right?
I don't understand the grinding. If something becomes a grind then I stop, focus on enjoying the game. The painite nerf and burning stations have had me "grinding" credits and rep briefly, but I've been enjoying it for what it is, not expecting to achieve a goal now, those will slot into place later. Grinding for the prize must be what gives people this weird sense of entitlement that the game design has to revolve around their personal schedule and makes them salty about lost progress, FC upkeep, etc. I'd grind more but I'm just so busy all the time (in-game, including meta-games)!

People don't tend to call it grinding when it's fun. The very fact that you type "stop, focus on enjoying the game " is a red flag... what solid game is something you have to make a concerted effort of will to enjoy? Shouldn't it just... be... fun? Crazy thoughts for crazy times.

Through design changes it could probably feel more fun more of the time for more people (edit: without leaving any of the people who're currently happy behind). In Frontier's defence that's what they say they're doing right now with at least some aspects. Also many of their recent gameplay additions, bugs aside, have been better than their predecessors/the placeholders we've had since 2016 so that's good. Still a fair way to go before I personally stop being overbearing on forums about it though.

Yep. Not everything they've done is right, and some things that should have been done have been left forever, hence the forums being so busy(!). For some things you might even say it's too late, the horse has bolted.

I think the best way to make small ships viable is to add new gameplay that best accommodates their use.

For example, they are the fastest ships available, so imagine if there was situations where there were two stations, or perhaps a station and a mega ship, in close enough proximity that super cruising between the two of them was not a viable solution. Instead, the high speed and maneuverability of the small ships would allow them to finish the missions fastest.

Alternatively, how about this; missions where your objective is to sneak up on the target ship and hit them with a Recon limpet. The ship in question only has functioning sensors on the front side, so in order to sneak up on it you have to be maneuverable enough to stay in the blind-spot.

Even better if you combine these two ideas; imagine if you have a mission given by an asteroid base in an asteroid field, and the target ship is about 10 or 15 km away. This rewards both speed and maneuverability, with no particular requirement for damage per second.

A third idea; imagine if there were occasions where factions would attack one another's bases. The way the player would participate is by destroying power relays on the outside of the station. However, they would be hidden down inside the framework of the station, so you would need to be able to zip through the tiny spaces and deal the relatively small amount of damage needed once there to destroy the necessary targets.

None of these ideas are strictly limited to small ships, but they all are designed in such a way as to most benefit ships that are small and maneuverable, without a particular requirement for durability or DPS. Thus making small ships a viable, or even ideal solution for them.

Negative reinforcement is rightly falling out of fashion in game design as a whole. Elite is kind of out on a 1980s limb in that respect,

My memory of the three first Elite games is consistently "technically impressive yet uninteresting". This is the first Elite game I have actually lost myself into, thanks to an actually enjoyable flight model and the multiplayer aspect which enables you to ignore the game designers' idea of engaging gameplay.

but I think some of what it does can be seen as incidentally positive reinforcement: It's quite challenging and has an incredibly high skill ceiling, it's a great feeling of accomplishment when you learn

Just think if there was an equivalent of the Ornstein & Smough experience to earning a Corvette.

That's a really good talk. Ejoyed the whole thing.

Considering a number of Frontier's Devs are Magic the Gathering players (from what I've read anyhow), I'd be curious on their thoughts regarding those lessons and how they see Elite: Dangerous fitting in, both from it's current developed state, as well as being a completely different type of game (more on that later).

"It's not the player's job to find the fun." - Mark Rosewater (Lesson 13)

The funny thing about that statement is, that in a sandbox, one might expect finding fun to be the focus of the game. Where IMO it is the journey of discovery itself that should be fun to begin with. Otherwise you risk wasting your time searching for something you may never find (says the guy writing on a forum instead of playing the game).

The question remains however, what is "fun"? Taking into account that some people like gambling and view the risk of never finding anything fun to do as fun in itself, it is a difficult question to answer... Reminds me of one of my design classes: while every sixth person might like what you make, that still doesn't mean they are going to want it themselves.

Now "restrictions breed creativity" is something I can attest to, however I'd go a step further and state that consequences create the best experiences. The reason being that consequences can be a form of dynamic restrictions. As a direct response to one's actions, they can (if negative) impede a player's progression or (if positive) enforce them, yet may change depending on how the player deals with them and the game world reacts in turn. That is what makes them dynamic and potentially temporary restrictions that also act as feedback for the player ( = to confirm they are actually affecting the game at all). In sandbox games this often leads to experimentation, and Elite: Dangerous certainly nails this on the head with the hundreds of thousands of possible build variations via outfitting and engineering of ships.

The fact the game offers that much freedom in outfitting (and thus experimenting with the various consequences of specific ship builds), is largely the reason small ships remain viable for just about everything in the game to begin with. Unfortunately for the rest of the game that doesn't quite apply. There is no consequence outside of outfitting, as there is effectively no negative feedback from any activity, save earning less credits/hour (aside from death, but that largely equates to the same).

One thing I do want to stress though, Elite: Dangerous has a significant drawback compared to Magic the Gathering or even the original Elite: its persistence. It is an entirely different kind of game. That is to say, the game has no end and simply continues on. As humans are creatures of habit, players are susceptible to repeat the same actions over and over again, unless something forces them to act differently or stop. This ultimately causes the game to leave players behind, should they not be given guidance on what to do next.

Mark highlighted a very good point within the video when talking about the subject of player choice without direction:

knowledge = familiarity = preference = quality

Which is why a player who knows about that type of activity (ex. from playing other games) will likely engage in it if they previously associated such with enjoyment, therefore likely viewing that activity as "a sensible thing to do". They will then repeat that activity over and over again, up until the point the game (or another player) forces/suggests for them to do something different, or the player simply gets bored with it. In the latter case, the boredom acts as a restriction on the enjoyment factor, giving the player a nudge to try something else.

Contrary to common belief, boredom is not actually a negative thing, but one of nature's primary ways to ensure we eventually discover new things. The issue within video games comes down to human perception: boredom is the opposite of enjoyment. Enjoyment equals good, thus boredom must equal bad.

Which leads to another aspect Mark talks about regarding players expecting a game to be "fun" and blaming game designers when it is not. Which is quite logical, given that many players will do whatever a game tells/allows them to, with the expectation that it must be fun, as the game told/allowed them to do it - AKA was designed that way. One should mention here, that there are exceptions to this rule - as the definition of enjoyment depends entirely on whether the game meets the player's expectations.

The point of playing is generally to learn, challenge, explore, or escape (and often a combination thereof). Which of those apply changes based on the current mood of all players involved.

Before I start diving off into the emotional side of gaming, I'll just finish here by saying: the 20 lessons in that video are a fantastic way to take a peek into the complexity "design" is really all about (which doesn't just apply to video games).

To steer this excursion back on topic: the game isn't finished. In fact, Odyssey was possibly originally intended to be released back around 2016 around the time multicrew was implemented. I highly suspect that technical issues were the reason Odyssey (and atmospheric planets) got pushed back so far. As a result, we have seen very little (or no) environmental changes to the game since the introduction of (the most basic) landable bodies. I know that I'm not the only user here thinking this to have been the case, and always welcome more communication. Hint, hint... ;)

When I consider that CD-Project Red received a multi-million grant just a few years back, to research and develop various tech necessary to complete multi-story, open-world crowds and environments (among other things) for Cyberpunk 2077 - I wouldn't be surprised if Frontier developed some of their newer IPs like JWE as a means of exploring technical solutions that may potentially work for Elite: Dangerous. (Apart from expanding the company's financial backing and developer's expertise in general).

o7

There are things that can make smaller ships attractive. Some of the following might already be implemented.

Mass Lock: the lower the mass of the ship, the less it is affected by mass Lock.

Power plant: smaller ones are cooler

Thruster: smaller is cooler and burn less fuel per hour

Fsd: smaller is cooler and charges faster and cools down faster

Shield generator - smaller doesn't necessarily mean weaker since the ship is smaller too. Joules relative to hull mass.

Armor - less hull is weaker armor. Disadvantage of a small ship

Cargo racks - add a mass. Smaller racks are lighter than larger racks.

Add mass to all modules that currently have no mass. Larger modules are heavier than smaller ones

FSD times is interesting, and sorta makes some sense. Would also give you the nice option, in any ship, to drop a class in order to get faster times, at the cost of jump range.

One advantage that small ships should have, is that they are more easily carried by larger ships.

Unfortunately, we've only been given one model of Carrier, which can carry Small/Medium/Large ships with equal ease.

If there was a cheaper Carrier with no Large pads, and an even cheaper one with Small pads only, that might help. Remove the "one per CMDR" limit for those (and prevent them cluttering system maps), and there might be a reason for even wealthy CMDR's to use them (they'd need a lot less tritium, for instance).

Contrary to common belief, boredom is not actually a negative thing

You make some good points, thanks for sharing... and I'm glad you liked the video. I have never played Magic before but I just like this kind of talk and found a surprising number of the points he made fitted fairly neatly with my views on what Elite gets wrong as a game.

To clarify, I do absolutely agree that there is value in downtime, and value in Elite being a fairly structureless experience. I'm not saying that we should be consantly ushered through a popcorn thrillride of activity - there are linear games and Ubisoft sandboxes for that. I do however think that Elite could maintain its current sense of pace and mystery while drastically improving how it handles progression and rewards.

I really think the people who stick with Elite long-term are those who have found its value as "a toy" to push around rather than as "a game" to conquer. It can be an excellent toy - replacing the cardboard box spaceships I'm sure a bunch of oldies used to draw controls on as kids. But I do think it's quite a flawed game, because its explicit goals (credits, materials, rank and INF+) are mostly delivered in a crude, limited and poorly balanced way. They rarely gel with either the 'intended experience' you can see Fdev reaching for, or the way most of its hardcore fans enjoy playing. People often choose to do stuff in Elite despite its systems rather than because of them, which is hecking weird.

It has a nasty tendency of asking you to choose between making extrinsic or intrinsic progress rather than both being woven together artfully. A lot of people say that people are "playing wrong" when they are "playing optimally" and I think in a sense that's true, but it shouldn't be. I strongly believe a game should make the optimal way to play also the best way to play for that title and that title's core audience, we shouldn't have to deliberately handicap ourselves diegetically to find enjoyment or nuance (changing difficulty settings in a menu, non-diegetically, is different IMO). This is obviously just my opinion.

I think Elite could modify its reward structure and mechanics to gel better with its 'toy' players, and reward creativity rather than repetition. But y'know, I'm not a game designer so vOv. (edit: Even just balancing, which they say they're doing right now, would/will help a lot, but there are still some things people like to do that aren't incentivised at all, let alone well.)

((further edit: oh I'm getting stuck on rewards here but I also think basic signposting could also do with a big overhaul. The BGS is great to engage in with friends and one of the only dynamic systems that can help player retention in the long-term. No matter how expensive or rank-locked you make a ship, people will get it eventually... then what? Putting player-led, sustainable systems front and centre would surely be a better move.))

the game isn't finished

I will say one thing about this though, having played since 2016 it is disheartening that a lot of the mechanics we saw as placeholders in the early days are... still here. And damn if they don't look extra clunky in the face of more elegant new additions like core mining, thargoids etc. On the positive side I do think Frontier has been improving things significantly over the last few years (despite balancing going down the toilet) but it's been ~5 years now and some stuff is still really, really clunky. But yeah, limited resources and a niche audience will do that I guess.

Last edited:
There is potential for small bois with oddysey, they have better lateral thrusters on avarage than mediums, so should be better in atmo enviroments, assuming we get something at least slighty realistic, and of course some small pad only content would be nice, currently biggest issues of small ships is not lack of firepower or weak defences, but boost interval that is worse than in medium ships, so you ned large speed advntage to really have edge in dogfight, of course shiled engineering went too far too, small ships dont benefit from boosters stacking.

I am a huge fan of negative reinforcement (indeed in any competitive setting, negative reinforcement and positive reinforcement are one and the same, just for different people) and I think it should be a challenge to obtain, maintain, and ultimately retain, larger ships.

Top Bottom