Mamba concept art, from FDev's Gameblast 24hr Charity Livestream

Its from 4chan for one thing and for another it seems tailored to wind up the strange people who can't cope with FDEV being allowed to work on anything other than ED.

I skim read it a few months ago and decided it was a troll, I still think its a troll and haven't read it again since. Nothing there to give me an appetite for knickers even if that is your kink 🤭.

Assuming they’ve gone to all that trouble to specifically troll ED fans seems a major stretch. Possible, of course, amongst a spread of possible explanations for it. It just seems strange that you’re so wedded to that one explanation. It’s kinda conspiratorial ;)

Assuming they’ve gone to all that trouble to specifically troll ED fans seems a major stretch. Possible, of course, amongst a spread of possible explanations for it. It just seems strange that you’re so wedded to that one explanation. It’s kinda conspiratorial ;)

Lol, I get that a lot. The hat probably doesn't help.

imagine multiplayer on somebody's ship and be the engineer, and they ask you to put more power to engines, and you shout back in your best Scotty impression "I'm giving her all she's got! She cannae take any more!"

The problem is a matter of consistency. In ED, vessel mass generally increases at a rate well below the square of the linear dimensions, making densities fall more rapidly than expected as ships get larger, even if they are made of the same stuff.

You can make something out of whatever you like, but if you keep the thickness of the material the same as you scale the size of the object up, you still have the mass increase by at least the square of the increase in linear dimensions. In reality, thickness would also need to increase, at least to some degree, so you'd end up with somewhere closer to the ballpark of mass increasing at the same rate as volume, or the linear dimensions cubed.

For example, take a Dolphin (~51m long) and scale it to Beluga size (~203m), and I'd expect it's ~250 ton total mass to increase by somewhere between sixteen fold (to 4000 tons) at the absolute least and sixty-four fold (16000 tons) if everything scaled up proportionally. A Beluga, configured similarly to a Dolphin is only about six or seven times the Dolphin's mass despite filling about seventy times it's volume. This does not seem very plausible, irrespective of the particulars of the materials used, because it defies the cube-square law.

Yes, this is why the weight rating should be removed and put to the back end and just live as balance input. Something the size of the Dolphin could be over 500 tons easy and its grt or something similar, especially when you consider it's a giant tube, could be well over that. Maybe over a thousand.

Lol, I get that a lot. The hat probably doesn't help.
That's a hat?
I thought the star was pinned to your hair!

Do you really think the game would work without mode and mode change? I for one strongly believe the answer would be NO for the current shape of the game - at least if this single mode would be open. If that's not a strong indication of a failed design I really don't know...
Who brought modes into this discussion, I thought we were talking about the interior of the Mamba and how hard would it be too get into when the ship was parked in gravity.

Do you really think the game would work without mode and mode change? I for one strongly believe the answer would be NO for the current shape of the game - at least if this single mode would be open. If that's not a strong indication of a failed design I really don't know...
Why is that an indicator of failed game design. Not that I was on about that in the first place and have no idea why you have brought that up.

Sidewinder: 14.9 x 21.3 x 5.4m / 25t
F-16: 14.8 x 9,8 x 4,8 / 9,2t

Python: 87.9 x 58.1 x 18.0m / 350t
Boing 747: 70.6 x 59.6 x 20.06m / 183t

I think all arguments about correct / realistic weight are nonsense and wouldn't even apply to reality... The only valid argument is that the Anaconda is ridiculous regarding the rules of the game. If it's realistic or not is a different matter that doesn't deserve a (serious) discussion in my opinion.

Thanks OP, nice details for Mamba inside ... personally I'm really curious how well are (atm) ship models suited (ready for) for walking around. I do not have VR, so looking around the cockpit is somewhat limited despite all these nice external cameras which we can use.

It would be nice to have more of such "uncomon" things shown in official streams.

Top Bottom