Mamba!

latest

I love the design, plus look fellas thats a Huge hardpoint on the top behind the cockpit, we finaly have a new ship coming with a Huge hard point!

Last edited:
Thumbs up for the Mamba - a rather FDL lookin' ship.

Thumbs down for the Krait Mrk.II Episode II: This Time It's Personal Another Reskin.

i hoped for a big small ship, or a small medium. or small but really snappy, and racing speciality. the mamba was supposed to be smaller than the fdl, and notorious for agility and speed:

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Mamba_(Classic)
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Fer-de-Lance_(Classic)
(mind you, i'm not an elite lore fan nor did i play elite back in the ages, but that's the idea i had from the little i've read)

so a little let down since the comparison with the python, i guess frontier felt they needed more medium combat ships (?) but, oh well, we'll see. it indeed looks gorgeous. the krait phantom as a nimbler krait could be interesting too.

So it's looking to be a rival to the Fer de lance. 1 huge, 2 large and 2 smalls. Smalls up front of the chassis, 2 larges on the sides and the Huge right behind the cocpit. 6 utility slots 4 on the bottom 2 up top. All of its firepower is on the top deck. The larges are alittle spread out but otherwise this thing is gonna have a mean fire group.

Well the Mamba is probably another combat ship so I don't care, no matter how good it looks.
Fdev has been bombing us with combat ships, how many do we need?

I sincerely hope the Krait Phantom will be different, preferably exploration focused.
If the second Krait is combat focused too then I'm not even gonna bother looking into it.

If the Mamba has all of it's HPs up top, I'm 100% in on this thing. Especially with the huge just above the cockpit. And if it's as maneuverable as it sounds, this thing could be fun.

If the Mamba has all of it's HPs up top, I'm 100% in on this thing. Especially with the huge just above the cockpit. And if it's as maneuverable as it sounds, this thing could be fun.

All 5 hardpoints are up top, smalls up front, larges on the sides and huge on the centerline behind the cockpit.

It looks purty, but I'm not sure why the moans (and not just in here, please don't take this personally Dutch) about more 'combat' ships.

The thing with elite is that you can explore/mine/trade/mission run/pirate/fight with almost any ship.
Play it your way, and use the ships for whatever you want to outside of their 'designed' role, it's much more fun.

I guarantee that if there ever is a new 'explorer' ship it won't just be used for that :)

It looks purty, but I'm not sure why the moans (and not just in here, please don't take this personally Dutch) about more 'combat' ships.

The thing with elite is that you can explore/mine/trade/mission run/pirate/fight with almost any ship.
Play it your way, and use the ships for whatever you want to outside of their 'designed' role, it's much more fun.

I guarantee that if there ever is a new 'explorer' ship it won't just be used for that :)

I know what you mean, and no I'm not taking this personal:)

What I was hoping for was a new exploration ship, to go with the new explo tools and all, that also looks like a real exploration ship.
A nice glass bubble cockpit, enough internals for all the scanners and SRVs, a reasonable size slot for a good fuelscoop, nice jumprange, running pretty cool, etc.
You can go exploring in a FDL if you want to but to me that just doesn't feel very exploringish.
The only ship that's realy designed for exploring is still the AspX imho, the Conda is a whale in supercruise and the DBX is just an inch to short with that small fuelscoop.

The removal of the internal restrictions for the Saud Kruger ships is nice but that doesn't make them new and refreshing imho.

I was just hoping for something different then the same old combat focused boats, we already have so many of them.

Mamba is confirmed, sweet. [up] Looking forward to this one, looks to be a good addition to the fleet. Nice that it has that link to the original game too.

Funny, the Asp was a fighter. The AspX is the civilian version but we really don't know what the difference would have been between the two. I would guess the civilian version has some armor removed lowering its mass. However if you upgrade the bulkheads and and reinforcement modules does it put the Asp back to military stats? So don't rule out a fighter as an exploration ship.
Krait MkII take two. The Krait can already function as an explorer. If all they do is drop the fighter bay for two smaller modules it will still be a solid exploration ship.

I would genuinely love to see another exploration ship, to add to the four that we currently have

Lakon Diamondback Scout
Lakon Diamondback Explorer
Lakon Asp Scout
Lakon Asp Explorer

Would be good to see one by another shipyard that wasn't Lakon, sure :)

Last edited:
Krait MkII take two. The Krait can already function as an explorer. If all they do is drop the fighter bay for two smaller modules it will still be a solid exploration ship.

If that's what the Krait Phantom turns out to be then you won't hear or see me again, I'll be out in the deep black.

The current Krait is already okayish as an explorer but with two extra internals instead of the fighterbay and some weight reduction it would become a pretty slick explorer, especially with the option for the Guardian fsd booster.

We'll see next Thursday in the livestream.

Mamba looks cool and you just know its gonna sound good.

Looks to me like it's primarily a fighter that's really wanting us to fly it with a co-pilot to get the best out of it. Nice job if that's the case!!

Top Bottom