Map of the entire roster by (approximate) animal distribution

While there are still a lot of great animals to be added, we really need a break from asia. If its not a bird, reptile, monkey or ungulate, it can wait, with the first 3 all being underrepresented in the game and the last being strangly absent from asia.
But really, some pheasents, black buck, nilgai, muntjak, yak, takin and a mainland monkey and asias good and doesnt need a major touch up ever again.

Hopefully, the next 1-3 packs, if they are not aviarys, will have not more then 4 asia specific animals in them.
Both south america and oceania need more animals, Europe still has some key species missing, North America could also use a minor touch up in the north and a major one in the south and lets not start about the middle east, the only asian area excluded if the pls no more asia.

The most efficient way would probs be a woodland, desert and grassland pack, filling in temperate europe, north america and oceania in the first, the middle east, australia and the american deserts in the second and non tropical south america + 1 or 2 animals from everywhere else in the last.
I even would be more then cool with a dedicated middle east pack.
But we will see what the future will bring

IMO northern asia is fine. Check the duplicates map, it has many animals. In fact, I think there are more northern asian animals than australian animals.
I don't have a problem with it either, I think it's fine as is, at least for the time being. I was simply trying to interpret biggest_dreamer's comment accurately, because I think that's what they implied if I'm not mistaken.

Right now Oceania ranks number one on my priority list, followed by South America and Middle East/SW Asia.

In terms of exhibit animals, tropical Asia is lacking.

In terms of exhibit animals, tropical Asia is lacking.
All of asia is lacking in exhibits.

download (7).jpeg

That is true, I guess tropical Asia grabs my attention in particular due to its high level of biodiversity compared to the north.
Also the most prominent missing exhibit animals are from tropical asia. Pythons and Cobras. It's really weird how lacking we are in large snakes.

The only other prominent missing exhibit is a chameleon, which could be an asian species, but I lean on the panther chameleon.

Also the most prominent missing exhibit animals are from tropical asia. Pythons and Cobras. It's really weird how lacking we are in large snakes.

The only other prominent missing exhibit is a chameleon, which could be an asian species, but I lean on the panther chameleon.
I think it really depends on whether they want a rainforest chameleon or one from drier areas. Personally I would want one of each.

In terms of holdings the veiled chameleon ranks number one, so if they were to follow the recent trend of adding species with more holdings (e.g. fallow deer, Eurasian lynx, spectacled caiman, Amur leopard, etc.), we might see the veiled chameleon before panther, which would also help SW Asia with representation a little bit. Alternatively they could choose a rainforest chameleon over veiled, since it is the biome most people associate chameleons with. We'll see.
  1. Veiled chameleon - 200 EAZA holdings
  2. Panther chameleon - 153 EAZA holdings
Both have solid holdings, but one can't help but think that red deer also has really high holdings, as well as more wishlist votes, yet fallow was picked over red deer.
  1. Indian crested porcupine - 277 EAZA holdings
  2. African crested porcupine - 123 EAZA holdings
A similar issue exists in the two crested porcupines. Indian has far more holdings, looks almost identical and would add to the Western Asia representation, yet African has the most votes on the meta wishlist. Again, we'll see how Frontier tackles this one as well.

A similar issue exists in the two crested porcupines. Indian has far more holdings, looks almost identical and would add to the Western Asia representation, yet African has the most votes on the meta wishlist. Again, we'll see how Frontier tackles this one as well.
I hope we get the African. AFAIK it's more common globally even if it's less common in EAZA zoos.

I hope we get the African. AFAIK it's more common globally even if it's less common in EAZA zoos.
Since it's more than double in this case, can't say anything about that until we have proper statistics. It's a shame AZA zoos mostly keep data on collections in private networks.

In any case, it's quite remarkable Indian crested porcupines rank #59 on Zootierliste's Top 100, which includes domestic animals. Personally, I think it is a very good candidate to remedy the Western Asian representation in the game, but I do understand that people usually have a preference for African species/subspecies. For instance, the African leopard also received a lot of attention, despite being very rare in captivity.

Veiled chameleon and African spurred tortoise are some other solid choices with really high holdings, to remedy the lack of animals from the MENA region:
  1. African spurred tortoise - with 375 EAZA holdings, ranks #31 on Zootierliste's Top 100
  2. Veiled chameleon - with 200 EAZA holdings, is just shy of making it to the top 100 (the lowest number of holdings on the list is 214)
  3. Addax - with only 58 EAZA holdings, but I would still like to see them in the game, another good candidate in my opinion

Tieing with the Addax, the striped Hyena would also be great to have. 58 EAZA holdings are nothing to scoff at and medium Sized Carnivores are quite rare in the game, especally if they arnt dogs and/or from africa.
Ranging from North and East Africa over the Middle East and West Asia to India also makes it a very versatile animal.
Rather unique niche, large Range and decently common in zoos? Sounds like a good deal to me

Last edited:
Since it's more than double in this case, can't say anything about that until we have proper statistics. It's a shame AZA zoos mostly keep data on collections in private networks.

In any case, it's quite remarkable Indian crested porcupines rank #59 on Zootierliste's Top 100, which includes domestic animals. Personally, I think it is a very good candidate to remedy the Western Asian representation in the game, but I do understand that people usually have a preference for African species/subspecies. For instance, the African leopard also received a lot of attention, despite being very rare in captivity.

Veiled chameleon and African spurred tortoise are some other solid choices with really high holdings, to remedy the lack of animals from the MENA region:
  1. African spurred tortoise - with 375 EAZA holdings, ranks #31 on Zootierliste's Top 100
  2. Veiled chameleon - with 200 EAZA holdings, is just shy of making it to the top 100 (the lowest number of holdings on the list is 214)
  3. Addax - with only 58 EAZA holdings, but I would still like to see them in the game, another good candidate in my opinion
With the porcupine the two species are morphologically nearly identical, and nearly overlap in their range. It's a similar case to the european badger and disputed "caucasian badger".

Whichever species makes it into the game makes no difference, as they will have the same form, biomes, and behaviour.

With the porcupine the two species are morphologically nearly identical, and nearly overlap in their range. It's a similar case to the european badger and disputed "caucasian badger".

Whichever species makes it into the game makes no difference, as they will have the same form, biomes, and behaviour.
This is exactly why I'm leaning more towards the Indian crested porcupine, simply because it would add to the Western Asian representation, while still being the crested porcupine everyone desires. That would be a pretty easy mod to make, just change the name and coloration slightly.

This is exactly why I'm leaning more towards the Indian crested porcupine, simply because it would add to the Western Asian representation, while still being the crested porcupine everyone desires. That would be a pretty easy mod to make, just change the name and coloration slightly.
Not even the coloration. There is more variety between individuals of the species than between the species overall.

Top Bottom