Mapping Darwin's Legacy (Beagle Point 2)

INTRODUCTION
Elite Dangerous 2.1 brought with it a multitude of changes include planetary textures. This meant the old textures for features such as starburst craters no longer exist. However those features still exist and are visible even if they look different. So I decided to update the landing guide for future explorers to Beagle Point.

While I was circling a few craters using an ellipse tool, I stumbled upon an idea...

IDEA
"Why not make a map of every crater on Darwin's Legacy and name each one based on the CMDR names of each Distant Worlds Expedition member who made it to Beagle Point?"

GET INVOLVED

Submit using this format
CMDR Name:
Crater No:
(optional)Format preferred:
(If applicable)Roster No:

HELP WANTED

I'm looking for people to help me circle the small craters. you'll need photoshop to create the shapes, and how to use the transform tool, to rotate and size the ellipse to the crater. (THERE AREN'T MANY LEFT TO CIRCLE BUT I COULD STILL USE THE HELP :p)

If your CMDR name is a two parter like mine, choose one. If you want your crater to be named something special like "Kitty's Bounce" or Kitty's Crater as oppose to Kitty Crater, let me know. I will assume the default if you do not.
If you have a long name, i'll work with you. Feel free to ask me questions. OH The CYAN CRATERS ARE UP FOR GRABS. SO IS HIDDEN HILL.
[imgur]dYwvV[/imgur]

Last edited:
What a fantastic idea. I fully support this, the idea is awesome.
My nomination:

CMDR Name: CMDR Voorheez
Crater No: Canyon (1): Voorheez Crack
(optional)Format preferred:
(If applicable)Roster No: #15

Last edited:
CMDR Name: FinrodNV
Mountain #9: Emyn Uial which means "Hills of Dusk" or also referred to as Hills of Evendim. (either name works)
Roster No. 289

Love the idea as well Olivia ;)

Last edited:
Great idea, Olivia - it neatly coincides with a trans-polar SRV expedition I will launching on Monday to celebrate my first week's arrival on Beagle Point 2. If I can help in anyway, let me know. I will be traversing the poles following the longitude pole-to-pole using the Lakon Type 6E as a Base Camp each night. My 2 SRVs - the Dudley Docker and the James Caird - will hopefully prove sturdy enough for a long surface expedition of this type.

Last edited:
Great idea, Olivia - it neatly coincides with a trans-polar SRV expedition I will launching on Monday to celebrate my first week's arrival on Beagle Point 2. If I can help in anyway, let me know. I will be traversing the poles following the longitude pole-to-pole using the Lakon Type 6E as a Base Camp each night. My 2 SRVs - the Dudley Docker and the James Caird - will hopefully prove sturdy enough for a long surface expedition of this type.

Holy how far is that journey?! I wish you the best of luck!

Last edited:
This is superb and is actually something I spoke to Kaii about at one point. I'm glad you've taken this initiative on! [up]

Once complete I'll get this incorporated into the galactic mapping project :cool:

FYI.. The badlands between Darwin's Legacy basecamp and Sanctuary Hill is something I promised to name after the pilot who was killed during the whack a rat event that was held there. I have notes of the incident, and video too somewhere, so will post the details for the list on Monday.

name big things like mountains or big craters after organisers and smaller ones with those who were there, im happy with a small crater.

Last edited:
Erimus, olivia and Dr. Forgetfull should get together and decide...
(23 blue please :D)

Last edited:
I'm happy to go with whatever Olivia decides to do. But if they're named after DWE pilots, I would suggest the most prominent features are named after those who flew non-standard exploration vessels out there. The Sidewinder, T9, Cutter, Corvette etc.. Those pilots deserve the recognition first.

Everything else, Asp and Anaconda pilots. ?

This is superb and is actually something I spoke to Kaii about at one point. I'm glad you've taken this initiative on! [up]

Once complete I'll get this incorporated into the galactic mapping project :cool:

FYI.. The badlands between Darwin's Legacy basecamp and Sanctuary Hill is something I promised to name after the pilot who was killed during the whack a rat event that was held there. I have notes of the incident, and video too somewhere, so will post the details for the list on Monday.

Cool. Alright!

I'm happy to go with whatever Olivia decides to do. But if they're named after DWE pilots, I would suggest the most prominent features are named after those who flew non-standard exploration vessels out there. The Sidewinder, T9, Cutter, Corvette etc.. Those pilots deserve the recognition first.

Everything else, Asp and Anaconda pilots. ?

Both ways that you and Dognosh described sounds good. This is a hard decision to make and I'm not entirely sure just yet. Some people like the ability to name their crater. Can we have a poll?

[IMGUR]4WWMa[/IMGUR]

Erimus, olivia and Dr. Forgetfull should get together and decide...
(23 blue please :D)

Got it, give me some more moments.^^

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

I quite fancy the idea of Wolf Crater for #7. :D
I think I cans wing that. give me a moment.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

What a fantastic idea. I fully support this, the idea is awesome.
My nomination:

Canyon (1): Damocles Scar

Mountains (9): Emyn Uial which means "Hills of Dusk" or also referred to as Hills of Evendim.

Love the idea as well Olivia ;)

reread the thread. have changed some stuff and thank you! ^^

Last edited:
Top Bottom