Mapping Darwin's Legacy (Beagle Point 2)

I know how you feel. My dog passed away as I was approaching the then unknown Beagle Point on the original Distant Suns expedition there last year. And yes, he was a Beagle. Thought it fitting to unofficially call the last star I could reach Beagle Point... never thought the uninspiring CEECKIA ZQ-L C24-0 would become what it did!

Thanks Erimus,

Holly (the ship) is currently heading slowly back to the bubble, but I intend to upgrade her to a 50+ly range and then head back to Beagle Point. Then I can look for a suitable spot for a memorial to Holly (the dog). Holly's Pause will not be forgotten.
Actually, we have another dog - Ben - who also may not make it in the time it takes to get back to Beagle point. So I am already planning a little area called "Holly and Ben's" kingdom. Probably inside Expugnax Ring.

Hey guys sorry I haven't updated the map yet, All Your requests are noted and i'll make the map tomorrow! Hang in there!

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Thanks Erimus,

Holly (the ship) is currently heading slowly back to the bubble, but I intend to upgrade her to a 50+ly range and then head back to Beagle Point. Then I can look for a suitable spot for a memorial to Holly (the dog). Holly's Pause will not be forgotten.
Actually, we have another dog - Ben - who also may not make it in the time it takes to get back to Beagle point. So I am already planning a little area called "Holly and Ben's" kingdom. Probably inside Expugnax Ring.

Oh man. I'm sorry. That sounds nice of you. I'm sure they'd like to play around in the ring.

Wonderful idea Olivia! And many thanks for your efforts.

I'd like crater #11 if available.

CMDR Name: Ar’Vessah
Crater No. 11
Roster No. 1062
Format preferred: Ar’Vessah impact

<-lightspeed->, curious if you might be interested in choosing a more cratery name no worries if not. :)

apologies,i wasn't ignoring your question. I've been on holiday.

I wanted something that would hopefully be a little different, that reflected me and my ship (who's name - Blue Potential - is the album from which the Crater name is taken, which in turn nods towards a very old SciFi film 'Metropolis'). I also sometimes like to think that just because we were 65kylies from SOL shouldn't preclude there being no life there - under the surface!)

many thanks for your many efforts for DW.

<-lightspeed->

Last edited:
Did you miss me Olivia?

CMDR Name: Wild Turkey
Crater No. 57
Roster No. 47
Format preferred: The Turkey Pit

CMDR Name: May
Crater No: 1 - May's Madness
(I repeatedly headed towards mountan 2/this crater mistaking it for Darwin's Legacy earlier on when trying to land visually)
(optional)Format preferred:
(If applicable)Roster No: 634

Wonderful idea Olivia! And many thanks for your efforts.

I'd like crater #11 if available.

CMDR Name: Ar’Vessah
Crater No. 11
Roster No. 1062
Format preferred: Ar’Vessah impact

As today is my 52nd birthday, please can I lay claim to crater 52?

CMDR Name: COLD TALLINN
Crater No: 52
Format preferred: Crater Name to be "CRANFORD". Just that, please.
Roster No: #141

Flying happy
Jon
T-6E

Done

COLD TALLINN: Did you mean it to be in full caps?

[imgur]1P08D[/imgur]

Jon474

Banned
Hi Cmdr. No, it is perfect as you have written it. Thank you.

Growing up, my family lived in a house called Cranford. I will take a trip out to "my" crater before I leave BP2 and "discard" a carefully chosen piece of material...in memory of my Dad, dead now 22 years. In this way I can pretend that he is still out there in the Galaxy.

Thank you, again.

Kind regards
Jon
T-6E pilot

Last edited:
Scale of the OP image : From Darwin's Legacy(red dotted circle) to Sanctuary Hill(red rectangle immediately to the left) is about 40km(25 Miles), give or take.

Jon474

Banned
Found "my" crater on BP2 this afternoon.

There is a very large central peak...

x0fyB4E.png

...which, of course, I had to climb. This is nearly an 85 degree incline...the background shows the horizon.

gSvdzdk.png

The view from the top was amazing.

AxnNVU0.png

The original purpose of the journey to this place, named "Cranford" after my childhood home, was to place a carefully hollowed-out piece of Carbon containing mementos of my father who died in December 1994. This can then serve as a kind of memorial to him...out here at the end of all things, at least in this Galaxy, anyway.

However, during my time on this DW expedition I have lost two friends to cancer - Rob and Dek. Can you have a "best friend" at the grand old age of 52? I don't know. If you can, Dek was it. Both have been taken taken from this world, from me, far too early. So, in addition to the drop for my father I have dropped separate shaped Carbon pieces in their memories. Farewell, my friends.

The memorial "altar"...here, on top of this farthest of worlds.

aNo7cen.png

Life...what's all that about, eh?

Flying...
Jon
T-6E

Top Bottom