Marx's guide to exobiology

We should know enough by now for me to write a guide to exobiology, although bear in mind that things are still being worked on and researched, so expect some changes here later.
Well then, here's my guide to exobiology. Let's begin with the two most frequent questions:
Why should I do exobiology anyway?
and
What's all this DSS stuff, how do I find life down there?

First off, why do exobiology: for the plants. But other than discovering those for your own, what are the actual rewards, though?
Large amounts of credits (since the 4.0 Update 14, far more than what you get for exploration data), progression on the Exobiology rank, some suit cosmetic unlocks as you gain those ranks, and optionally, your name in the Codex if you find something not already in there.

Oh, you also get Codex vouchers either from the Composition Scanner or from juicing with the Genetic Sampler, but redeeming these vouchers won't advance your exobio rank.

Hold on, what's that about cosmetic unlocks?
As you gain exobio rank, you unlock suit cosmetic pieces you can't get otherwise. They go with the Artemis suit, and look similar to that. There are green, blue and red variants, which you unlock in this order: you get the final pieces at Elite. It takes three ranks to unlock all pieces of a set (suit first, torso, arms and legs on the second, and helmet on the third rank), starting with getting the green suit automatically at Directionless. The only thing that changes between the sets are the colours: otherwise, the pieces are entirely identical.

Again, bear in mind that these are all cosmetics, they don't change anything about your Artemis suit itself.

Before I go into other specifics, let me talk about that other most frequent question, how do I find the actual plants, what do I do with those blue blobs on the DSS?
As you probably noticed, when you look through the DSS, you'll see various areas highlighted in various shades of blue. In practice, what colour the areas are in isn't important, it's not a heatmap: the colour might get shaded by how the terrain looks, but it's just a binary decision. The plants are there in the blue areas, and aren't in the non-coloured areas. However, they are still restricted by terrain (and likely other factors), so quite often, the types of terrain the plants you're looking for prefer is just as important as the DSS blob's colour.
So basically, go down to where the DSS shows blue, and don't go where it shows no colour.

However, I expect you'd like some more help than this, so consider the type of terrain again. If you're looking for something and not finding it, chances are it's one of those which keeps mostly to one kind of terrain, area etc instead, and not the one you've been looking in: so, go fly to different kinds of places, ones you haven't been to yet. For example, you won't find Osseus Discus on the flats, you'll want to go look around rough, hilly areas instead. Or Concha Renibus will keep to rocky places, cracks and such. If you're in an area that shows up blue on the DSS, what you're looking for will be there, but it won't be distributed evenly. The most notorious examples of this might be bacteria.

There is something else to consider though, how (and what ship) to fly to better spot those plants:
Since some of them are really quite small and render at close distances only, I would recommend flying at low altitudes, and possibly at slower speeds too. The former because of the render distance, the latter because you might fly over and miss them otherwise. Also, since you'll likely be landing often, small ships have quite an advantage here: they'll be easier to fly, easier to land, and less time spent on either. Personally, I generally find them more fun too, but that's subjective.

The Courier, the Diamondback Explorer, the Cobra Mk III and the Dolphin all do quite well here, with good jump ranges too. Especially on the DBX.

Speaking of bacteria from earlier, "I'm looking for bacteria and I can't find those little ****s AAAARGH":
Generally, you'll want flat terrain, and hope that the bacteria mats' colours don't match the colour of the ground.

Or here's a nice screenshot sequence by @FalconFly that illustrates an ideal scenario of finding bacteria:

That said, generally payouts for bacteria are low enough that it's not worth the trouble to locate them, unless you're being a completionist or are looking for specific Codex tags. If you aren't looking for either of those, then for the sake of your mental health, I'd generally recommend not bothering with bacteria.

On to the next one: payouts. How much will you get paid for the samples? and Can you get paid for selling the same species from different bodies in the same system?
Every species has a universal base payout value, universal in that it doesn't not change depending on where you got the samples from and where you sold them. Different colours of the same species all pay out the same as well. Other than this, there's the first logging bonus: if you are the first to sell the sample from a specific body, you get paid five times the base payout. That's all there is to it.

If you're in the same system, and get the same species with the same colour, but from a different body, you still get paid the same. So the answer to the second question above is Yes. Now, if you found a system with four water atmosphere landables? Jackpot!

Also, 4.0 Update 11 added Vista Genomics to fleet carriers, which should work the same as carrier-based Universal Cartographics does: you get paid 75% of what you'd normally get, the carrier's bank gets 12.5%, and the remaining 12.5% is lost to the waves. However, they can be bugged and pay 100% to you and 0% to the carrier.

With all this talk about payouts then, there's the inevitable question: where to go to get the most credits over time?
First off, since the first discovery bonus is so large now, you'll likely be better served going after undiscovered planets. I'm not sure if chaining already-logged plants would approach that level.

Second, the best average payouts are on planets with thin water atmospheres. While depending on the geology of specific worlds, some other atmosphere types can get species with high payouts, water atmos tend to have the highest average payouts over the various species. In other words, nearly everything you find down there will tend to pay at least decently. Well, except bacteria.
Now, which would you rather do, juice eight species on ammonia planet for a base payout of, say, 10,000,000 Cr, or juice four species on a water planet for the same?

That's all well and good, but where to find those specific kinds of thin atmo planets?
I'll assume you are looking for undiscovered planets. If you aren't, and just want to speedrun some of those planets, then the crowdsourced data available across various sites will easily tell you where they are. If, however, you are looking for your very own undiscovered thin water atmo worlds, then read on.

First, let me make something clear: these are significantly more rare than Earth-like Worlds. As of 2022. Dec. 12, there are around 390,000 Earth-likes uploaded, and only 64,000 thin water atmospherics. Even if you filter stars to maximise your chances, it's still about a tenth of what it would be if you were looking for an ELW... not to mention that unlike those, thin water atmospherics don't show up separately on the FSS barcode.

So, where to look then? Interestingly, it turns out that the best main stars to filter for are B and A. If you don't mind going lower, you can add Neutron Stars (well, Non-Sequence filter), F and G, in this order. In mass codes, not surprisingly this would mean D and E. In other words, it's almost exactly the same as with ELWs, the big difference is how B main stars are actually the best, with A following them close by.

How boxel metallicity levels affect thin water atmo body chances are something I haven't looked into yet, but I'm going to: I'll update this here once I have the results.

Let's talk about species and colours instead. What are the requirements, where do specific species show up, and what about colours?
By now, there are several good sources for summing up what has been found where. The Codex doesn't tell the whole story, so here's some more information:
The Codex itself tells us some of the requirements, although there are a couple of errors in there. Then there's more that's hidden from there. However, there's even more hidden stuff: it appears that there are various requirements, most notably geological ones, that we have no way of measuring: can't get out and sample the rocks, after all. Wind might also be a factor, and yet, the Artemis suit doesn't come with an anemometer.
So, when all is said and done, you might still have to go look at the planets and try determining stuff based on only that.

As for colours, they generally depend either on the parent star's type, or the surface materials listed on the body (see the system map). Again, see the compendium above to see which species depends on which kind. Colours are mostly only useful for getting new Codex tags though, since their payouts are otherwise the same.

Finally, bear in mind that the DSS filters only show genus, and if a planet has different species (and/or colours) of the same kind, they won't show up there separately! For example, a planet might have three species of brain trees, or bacteria, or whatever else, all under the same biological signal. See the Organics tab on the system map to see how many distinct species you can sample on a planet.

Then there's stuff from earlier: what about life from Horizons, on non-atmospheric worlds?
They are of course still around, utilising the same general system as Odyssey life on thin atmospheric worlds do. Otherwise, their requirements don't appear to have changed. They can be juiced with the genetic sampler as well, although their sample payouts are uniformly low (compared to Odyssey flora), even for amphora plants.

After all this, how does exobiology tie in with Engineering? Turns out, remarkably little.
You don't get any materials from sampling stuff, and there are no exobiology-specific blueprints either. I suppose the only one that can be said to substantially improve things is the Night Vision mod, but whether that one is worth the cost is debatable. Other than this, the other upgrades are of minor use, and only improving stuff that you can already do, like spring longer, jetpack higher, and so on.

So, by and large, you can ignore Engineering when it comes to exobiology. Unfortunately, Frontier didn't add any way of upgrading the juicer to hold more than one sample at a time.

Oh, and are there any truly dangerous plants, like Venus CMDRtraps, or plants that shoot lasers at you, will you get attacked by Thargoids, and so on?
No.

I think that covers all then. If I forgot something important, or more comes up later, or if we find out more, I'll update the guide anyway. Thanks for reading!

Sources and credits:
  • The crowdsourced databases from: EDSM, EDAstro, DSN, Canonn, IGAU
  • Various players who've sent in missing payout values (see the Compendium linked above)

Last edited:
Flying a Krait Mk II with nose down at a 45 degree angle, main thrusters at 20% or so (speed 50 - 100 m/s) and using the up thrusters to keep altitude seems to work well. Bacterial mats will sometimes pop late into the landscape, but otherwise look like any other colour spot on the ground (when colour is different).

:D S

I find DBX the best, for the cockpit view and landing ease. Dolphin view is too restricted. And using anything over a medium-sized ship for exobio is a total pain.
The biggest drawbacks to exobio are the inability to sell data on carriers, and the prior need (if you were way out in the black) to come all the way back to civilisation to buy a sampling doodad.

I find DBX the best, for the cockpit view and landing ease. Dolphin view is too restricted. And using anything over a medium-sized ship for exobio is a total pain.
The biggest drawbacks to exobio are the inability to sell data on carriers, and the prior need (if you were way out in the black) to come all the way back to civilisation to buy a sampling doodad.
My favourite is the Courier, followed by the DBX and the Cobra. Mostly because it's significantly faster and more nimble than the Diamondback, and I've found that I can touch down at various sites faster with it.
When it comes to jump range though, the only ships that can compete with the DBX there are also much larger, so they are more difficult to find a good landing spot with.

I found that I can use the DBX and Courier pretty interchangeably for exobio. The DBX is pretty nimble with A-rated thrusters with dirty drives, and can still do 70+ ly jumps while outfitted with that. The Courier is more naturally speedy and nimble though, and I think it can squeeze into slightly smaller lander spots.

Thanks for the guide, learned quite a few new things regarding distribution and the water atmospheres! I still would have one question, mabye someone can answer it.

Does the LYR-Bonus apply to Exo-Bio? I would assume no, but wanted to make sure. I'm on my way back from an expedition started a few weeks after Odyssey to grind my Exo-Bio rank and maybe get also a few Elite I - V ranks in general exploration. So when I come back I'll grind out LYR to get a higher payout. But if some of you can say for sure that Exo-Bio does not benefit from the bonus I can at least sell the exobio data before and save them.

Thanks!

A good question. I don't think it does, and I haven't heard that it would, but I haven't tested it myself. If you're grinding the exobio rank though, it's even more likely that it doesn't, since rank progression there only depends on the base payout, and the First Logged bonus only gives more credits. So even if there were an actual LYR bonus to exobio payout, then it's still more likely that that bonus wouldn't apply to rank either.
I'd also be interested in hearing from someone who did test this though.

Thank you a lot for this Guide. It helps me a lot to get a better understanding for Exobiology in which I'm currently take my first steps.
Thank you.

Attachments

• the big 5 streams.jpg
    the big 5 streams.jpg
    441.5 KB · Views: 512
Thanks! Very nice to see maps coming together. And yep, it has been established from the Codex that certain species tend to follow galactic regions roughly along the arms. From the more precise breakdown from here, it also appears like they appear everywhere inside those regions, so it's not some feature of the galaxy (like being only on dense parts of the galactic arms, not the inter-arm voids), but the region borders instead.
Which in my opinion is a bit disappointing, but oh well: if that's how it works, it's that how it works.

That's really interesting. Till now I never left the "beginner region" but I think I'll do on my current journey.
Will be interesting to see other lifeforms in other regions. I really hopere there will be more things to discover in the future. :)

A good question. I don't think it does, and I haven't heard that it would, but I haven't tested it myself. If you're grinding the exobio rank though, it's even more likely that it doesn't, since rank progression there only depends on the base payout, and the First Logged bonus only gives more credits. So even if there were an actual LYR bonus to exobio payout, then it's still more likely that that bonus wouldn't apply to rank either.
I'd also be interested in hearing from someone who did test this though.
Its been some time since you started this excellent guide, so with all the changes since that time it seems the first scanned bonus now does count towards rank progression. The actual rank progression bonus is more than 100%, and was quite important to achieving Elite about a month ago for me, as almost all of my samples were first scans. This makes sense and is the way it should be as the amount of work to find planets, scan them, land and scan the bios is a lot more work than following a map.

Its been some time since you started this excellent guide, so with all the changes since that time it seems the first scanned bonus now does count towards rank progression. The actual rank progression bonus is more than 100%, and was quite important to achieving Elite about a month ago for me, as almost all of my samples were first scans. This makes sense and is the way it should be as the amount of work to find planets, scan them, land and scan the bios is a lot more work than following a map.
Hm, interesting. I last checked that back in June, and don't remember reading about such a change neither in the patch notes, nor here on the exploration forums. Do you happen to have any data on how exactly it works now? If not, I'll check it in-game myself eventually, but if others have already done the work, then I'd rather not.

Hm, interesting. I last checked that back in June, and don't remember reading about such a change neither in the patch notes, nor here on the exploration forums. Do you happen to have any data on how exactly it works now? If not, I'll check it in-game myself eventually, but if others have already done the work, then I'd rather not.
I've been meaning to go back to see what the precise bonus was, so I spent some time going through my notes just now...

I was hoping to use EDDiscovery to make this easier, but the amounts shown as sold in the journal logs really make no sense if you sell more than one sample at a time, but luckily I took meticulous notes of each sample and value as I was scanning them so I can sort of piece together what happened.

Almost all of the samples I took were about 20,000LYs distant from Colonia (40,000LYs from the Bubble) while drawing the biggest meme in the galaxy. When I started this at the beginning of October, I was an Ecologist about 85% towards Geneticist. I FSS'd every system and targeted/DSS's any Ammonia, Carbon dioxide, or Sulphur dioxide planet (not moon) with bio signals as all of them with more than 1 signal (and many with only 1 signal) contain Stratum Tectonicas, which is easy to scan. I also stopped at any Nitrogen planet with bio signals to scan the Bacterium Informem there. Water atmosphere planets were always the lucky jackpot for high value bios. This was the main strategy for my search. Almost all of these scans were first discoveries/scans. I didn't spend the time cross referencing which were not first discoveries as there were over 300 scans in there, but the way the search was conducted it's pretty unlikely that they were not.

After about a month, I had gathered 123.6M worth of bio data and decided to buckyball back to Colonia as I was getting a bit nervous carrying all of this data around.

After selling all and verifying my notes on the value were correct (took screenshots as well), I found myself promoted to Geneticist and then Elite, and then about 1% or so towards Elite I. There was no way that the amount of data I had on me would have gotten me there without the bonus. I've calculated the amount I would have had to sell to get to where I am now is about 288M, which means the bonus added 123% to my rank progression on top of the normal sale amount. Now, I do have a Deadly NPC crew I keep paying for some reason. If their payout affected the rank progression (which I'm not sure it does), the bonus would be more like 145%. It could also be that not all of the scans were first discoveries (which I am assuming above), which would actually increase the total bonus further.

After getting to Elite, I haven't done much more scanning as the gulf between ranks is now truly massive. Hope this helps!

edited - after I used INARA to find I am only 1% to Elite I. Note as this is a rounding between 1% and 2% its very possible that the bonus is actually 125% (which would make more sense)

Last edited:
So I went and did an experiment, and can confirm now that the first logged bonus does apply to rank progression, so I've updated the guide to reflect this. Thanks again for the heads-up! I wonder when exactly this changed.

The data, in case anyone's curious: I logged species for a total base payout of 10,241,600 Cr, and made sure to check that each one was first logged. The total payout then was 20,483,200 Cr, so exactly the double. That amount got me +9% from Geneticist to Elite. Considering rounding errors, the extra progression might be 100% or 125%, although personally, I'm leaning towards the former, since we know the exact bonus for the credits anyway. I won't be farming more plants just to determine a more precise rank estimate though- just knowing that the first logging bonus does count at least around the same as it does for credits is good enough for me.

Excuse me for being such a newbie, but could someone post a system name / planet name with any biological sample I can test my brand new genetic sampler on, close to Sol? These maps are amazing, but I don't see any system names. Thanks!

How long will it be before one of the third party tools develops a road to riches for exobio?

I think I'll wait for the app.

Top Bottom