Massacre Missions - Don't do them for 3 reasons

I'm sure the wing massacre missions used to have like 5 day timers, but recently all the ones we take during war states are not even 24 hours, most of the time you are only given 21 hours.

The only thing that bothers me about massacre missions is that once you hit allied, they stop offering you the ones.....
This is something that bothers me about missions in general. I tend to enjoy some of the missions offered earlier in my "relationship" with a faction, but then these are replaced by missions I don't much care for once I become allied. While I get the reasoning behind it, I'm not a fan of this from a gameplay perspective.

I usually take them when i want to get involved in a war in a system. The ones for a wing pay much better. Plenty of them for around 40 ships. In combat zones, there's always an enemy ship that takes a beating. So go after that one, then keep targeting enemy ships for a few seconds till you find the next one, favoring small ships. It takes around 30-40 minutes for my laser corvette to kill them. Good money -especially if allied- when i feel like that type of combat.

Some will try to jump away, which i find very realistic and fun. I usually manage to get them, but sometimes its..... daaamnn!!! this one got away!!

re: everything Morbad said in his first post here...
I am not sure if you refer to pirate or cz missions, either way though, cz ships are harder to kill, but not by that much.
I would recommend you adjust your ship and hone your skills
killing a pirate should take less than 3 seconds, killing a combatant in a cz will depend on what ship you are trying to kill as well as your loadout and your skills but should be doable for most any ship in under 20 seconds, far less with the right ship and loadout.
That said, from your post I am guessing you are talking about wing pirate missions which do have the higher kill goal as opposed to the non-wing pirate missions, so until you are better and way faster at killing them might I suggest you refrain from taking the wing variety. the non-wing ones have a max of 48 targets and tbh is fish in a barrel mission. practice and refine your loadout, no ship should be able to escape you and 3 seconds per kill is the ballpark you should be in, if not then either you or your ship needs work.
If you really want to test yourself to see if its more you or your ship maybe try a wing assassinate mission, the threat level 4 is usually a wimpy vette or conda, killable in about 10 seconds, the more fun ones are the threat level 6 which is usually a heavily engineered fdl and if they run away it will be because you are no challenge to them and they don't waste their time on weak ships, their wingmates will stay behind to finish you instead.

As mentioned, by others, I too usually take on massacre missions in a 'war' system to farm mats, the 'mission' part just being for bonus credits really. can clear a 70 mission with mat collection in about 2 hours (if mats fill up, then I just go all out killing) using either my corvette or cheiftan (with collectors).

Totally agree with some of the other suggestions, namely prioritise shooting targets your side is already shooting at as not only is it quicker kills, but it then frees up your ships to join you on the next target (as watching 6 ships from your side disappear off into the distance chasing an eagle while you are taking a hammering is... annoying), and aim for PowerPlant on Medium and above ships to speed things up.

However, I have also found it useful when selecting a 'war' system, to check there are 2 CZ very close to each other (preferably one high, the other I don't care, but this is mainly because of the mat grades dropped), so if I clean up (or mess up), I can quickly hop to the next, and then again back later, as I have found the drop out and back into the same instance technique too often doesn't correctly respawn/reset. Also check the system allows restock. Hate running out of corrosive ammo, that stuff really makes a difference.

Finally got around to testing some other kinds of massacre missions and they seem to be working fine for me. All variants I tried spawned USSes and tracked kills correctly.

Example from a massacre civilians mission:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF3TeJLlXf8
I've been doing some in a wing, and I can confirm that sometimes, it glitches and no longer tracks kills. I'm suspecting solo mode has FAR fewer bugs than wing does.

As mentioned, by others, I too usually take on massacre missions in a 'war' system to farm mats, the 'mission' part just being for bonus credits really. can clear a 70 mission with mat collection in about 2 hours (if mats fill up, then I just go all out killing) using either my corvette or cheiftan (with collectors).

Totally agree with some of the other suggestions, namely prioritise shooting targets your side is already shooting at as not only is it quicker kills, but it then frees up your ships to join you on the next target (as watching 6 ships from your side disappear off into the distance chasing an eagle while you are taking a hammering is... annoying), and aim for PowerPlant on Medium and above ships to speed things up.

However, I have also found it useful when selecting a 'war' system, to check there are 2 CZ very close to each other (preferably one high, the other I don't care, but this is mainly because of the mat grades dropped), so if I clean up (or mess up), I can quickly hop to the next, and then again back later, as I have found the drop out and back into the same instance technique too often doesn't correctly respawn/reset. Also check the system allows restock. Hate running out of corrosive ammo, that stuff really makes a difference.
thanks for suggestions, and also, I've totally found the CZ respawn you mentioned to be the case... putting it on a 15-20min timer seems to be the surest way to guarantee respawn

re: everything Morbad said in his first post here...
I am not sure if you refer to pirate or cz missions, either way though, cz ships are harder to kill, but not by that much.
I would recommend you adjust your ship and hone your skills
killing a pirate should take less than 3 seconds, killing a combatant in a cz will depend on what ship you are trying to kill as well as your loadout and your skills but should be doable for most any ship in under 20 seconds, far less with the right ship and loadout.
That said, from your post I am guessing you are talking about wing pirate missions which do have the higher kill goal as opposed to the non-wing pirate missions, so until you are better and way faster at killing them might I suggest you refrain from taking the wing variety. the non-wing ones have a max of 48 targets and tbh is fish in a barrel mission. practice and refine your loadout, no ship should be able to escape you and 3 seconds per kill is the ballpark you should be in, if not then either you or your ship needs work.
If you really want to test yourself to see if its more you or your ship maybe try a wing assassinate mission, the threat level 4 is usually a wimpy vette or conda, killable in about 10 seconds, the more fun ones are the threat level 6 which is usually a heavily engineered fdl and if they run away it will be because you are no challenge to them and they don't waste their time on weak ships, their wingmates will stay behind to finish you instead.
Three seconds? You must have engineered nuclear warheads equipped.
Seriously though, would you mind sharing your load-out?

whatever I say in here I can tell you its then very likely that all the guys that I don't get along with in the discords because they believe that what they preach is gospel, then this thread turns into a replica of the discords that I avoid because I can't stand people that resort to name calling because they believe their way to be the only way.
What I can say is the same thing I say in the discords and many other threads here.
Which is that first it depends on your preference, then your skill and you need to enjoy both and you need to hone both
So whatever ship you prefer and whatever weapon you prefer, you need to make them the best that you can.
Do NOT let anyone tell you that their way is best and the only way.
That aside, you need a reason to do anything.
So, I can imagine you want to do these for the credits, but that's not the case for everyone.
I did once a very long time ago and became a billionaire and Elite from it. Now I usually only do them for the INF as I play the BGS and have little concern for credits.
But because I play the BGS I still kill a lot, to get bounty vouchers as well as to win conflicts, the vouchers in both cases are for INF, not for the credits although their weight for INF is partially dependent on their value.

The weapons and ship a person uses needs to be able to survive the onslaught of numerous ships at once, or be fast and agile enough to avoid hits as well as do damage.
For these missions you get the mission pay and bounties(not so much in anarchy systems), the bounties are tiny in comparison to the mission pay so in order to do these missions as fast as possible, focus on the kills, not the bounty value of kills, in other words don't go after the highest pay kills but do focus on the ships that are easiest to kill. killing 48 pirates in a uss meant for them should take less than 30 minutes and if you are lucky enough to find a system were all or most of the factions offer the exact same kill pirate missions, then one mission from each faction does stack and 48 kills will count off for each and every mission, they just don't stack if they are from the same faction. So yes, a lot of credits per hour can be done very fast and very easy.

Aside from the ship you use, the weapons. Part of the learning curve in this game is very big here as there are a lot of weapons and a lot of engineering variations and this is where many others like to force their opinions on others but sadly is a waste of everyones time if a person prefers a weapon that is different than the opinionated.
My preference for the big ships are the vette and the conda, then the gunship and the fdl
I like them to be made as tough and as fast as possible, depending on a few things, but on them I tend to use long range if I use beams, that way nothing can run from you. I also use fixed weapons only as doing this gives more damage if you can hit, and doing this will improve your aim and your time on target as well as your ability to keep a ship aimed where you want.
I also use Long range for multi-cannons for the same reason as well as the long range ammo is way faster than normal and seems to cause much more damage way faster. try normal vs long range against couriers, vipers, eagle and you will see a huge difference in how fast they die.
Then my fav deadly weapon, for many its plasma, I don't use them much as they are slow, even the engineered fast ones are slow, but the rails and preferably the imperial hammer is a beautiful weapon and there is a very obvious reason they only go up to class 2, the hammer at long range with super pen is a machine gun rail and either a conda with 5 of these and 2 small rails is super nasty killer, so is a gunship. super fast and deadly, I set them up as half and half on 2 firegroups, then as I am shooting I alternate firegroups, this increases the heat a tiny bit less but gives steady rail fire, often the target dies while still at 30-50% hull and usually dies just as the heat needs a heatsink...I do not use these particular ships for these missions or random bounty collecting because even though they kill super fast, they always inflict a lot of damage to themselves and for me, these are pvp builds mainly, but do have other uses too.
the experimental is a thing you need to learn
One of the things my ships do is overheat, I choose to live with it because the hotter the weapons the more powerful they are and the more damage they inflict
And that is where a lot of people say otherwise.
Each to his own.
If you think at all like me, the damage my ship gets from overheating is nothing compared to what I gain from winning the kills and the missions and practice makes you better, as an example I can earn 6mil in bounties in a hour and only get 40-80k damage from weapons overheating. A very long time ago, I could do about the same in kills and bounties but more likely to take 300 to 800k in damage from overheating.

I'm not going to go into a lot more detail because these really are a major part of the learning and the fun of the game, suffice it to say that in the game many want to keep their ship healthy and deal damage, but the game is very realistic in that the more powerful and destructive some weapons are often means they are also unsafe for you to use and I like to take full advantage of that, I have never yet had a ship die from it and I learned how much a ship can take and I still make a huge profit.

Yuri grom has missiles that temporarily disables the enemy fsd.
They run when they are about to lose, exactly like you would do. Makes it more realistic and a motive to use the said missiles.
Remember, this is a griding game ( You should have seen in the beginning. Now you can get 100~200mil in one hour. ) and a spaceship simulator.

whatever I say in here I can tell you its then very likely that all the guys that I don't get along with in the discords because they believe that what they preach is gospel, then this thread turns into a replica of the discords that I avoid because I can't stand people that resort to name calling because they believe their way to be the only way.
What I can say is the same thing I say in the discords and many other threads here.
Which is that first it depends on your preference, then your skill and you need to enjoy both and you need to hone both
So whatever ship you prefer and whatever weapon you prefer, you need to make them the best that you can.
Do NOT let anyone tell you that their way is best and the only way.
That aside, you need a reason to do anything.
So, I can imagine you want to do these for the credits, but that's not the case for everyone.
I did once a very long time ago and became a billionaire and Elite from it. Now I usually only do them for the INF as I play the BGS and have little concern for credits.
But because I play the BGS I still kill a lot, to get bounty vouchers as well as to win conflicts, the vouchers in both cases are for INF, not for the credits although their weight for INF is partially dependent on their value.

The weapons and ship a person uses needs to be able to survive the onslaught of numerous ships at once, or be fast and agile enough to avoid hits as well as do damage.
For these missions you get the mission pay and bounties(not so much in anarchy systems), the bounties are tiny in comparison to the mission pay so in order to do these missions as fast as possible, focus on the kills, not the bounty value of kills, in other words don't go after the highest pay kills but do focus on the ships that are easiest to kill. killing 48 pirates in a uss meant for them should take less than 30 minutes and if you are lucky enough to find a system were all or most of the factions offer the exact same kill pirate missions, then one mission from each faction does stack and 48 kills will count off for each and every mission, they just don't stack if they are from the same faction. So yes, a lot of credits per hour can be done very fast and very easy.

Aside from the ship you use, the weapons. Part of the learning curve in this game is very big here as there are a lot of weapons and a lot of engineering variations and this is where many others like to force their opinions on others but sadly is a waste of everyones time if a person prefers a weapon that is different than the opinionated.
My preference for the big ships are the vette and the conda, then the gunship and the fdl
I like them to be made as tough and as fast as possible, depending on a few things, but on them I tend to use long range if I use beams, that way nothing can run from you. I also use fixed weapons only as doing this gives more damage if you can hit, and doing this will improve your aim and your time on target as well as your ability to keep a ship aimed where you want.
I also use Long range for multi-cannons for the same reason as well as the long range ammo is way faster than normal and seems to cause much more damage way faster. try normal vs long range against couriers, vipers, eagle and you will see a huge difference in how fast they die.
Then my fav deadly weapon, for many its plasma, I don't use them much as they are slow, even the engineered fast ones are slow, but the rails and preferably the imperial hammer is a beautiful weapon and there is a very obvious reason they only go up to class 2, the hammer at long range with super pen is a machine gun rail and either a conda with 5 of these and 2 small rails is super nasty killer, so is a gunship. super fast and deadly, I set them up as half and half on 2 firegroups, then as I am shooting I alternate firegroups, this increases the heat a tiny bit less but gives steady rail fire, often the target dies while still at 30-50% hull and usually dies just as the heat needs a heatsink...I do not use these particular ships for these missions or random bounty collecting because even though they kill super fast, they always inflict a lot of damage to themselves and for me, these are pvp builds mainly, but do have other uses too.
the experimental is a thing you need to learn
One of the things my ships do is overheat, I choose to live with it because the hotter the weapons the more powerful they are and the more damage they inflict
And that is where a lot of people say otherwise.
Each to his own.
If you think at all like me, the damage my ship gets from overheating is nothing compared to what I gain from winning the kills and the missions and practice makes you better, as an example I can earn 6mil in bounties in a hour and only get 40-80k damage from weapons overheating. A very long time ago, I could do about the same in kills and bounties but more likely to take 300 to 800k in damage from overheating.

I'm not going to go into a lot more detail because these really are a major part of the learning and the fun of the game, suffice it to say that in the game many want to keep their ship healthy and deal damage, but the game is very realistic in that the more powerful and destructive some weapons are often means they are also unsafe for you to use and I like to take full advantage of that, I have never yet had a ship die from it and I learned how much a ship can take and I still make a huge profit.
could you link me your thermal conduit build? I've been gathering modules for this exact sort of thing. My understanding (from digging up previous posts) is thermal conduit does 10% damage over 70%, and then more up to a cap of 30% damage when ship is 170% overheat. Please correct me if I got it wrong! Anyways, what's the sweet spot for your thermal load, and do you have any tips on keeping your modules from frying while you do this?

Top Bottom