Massive flaw in the new Crime and Punishment.Selling credit for real money.

Hi FDEV

With the new crime and punishment system it will be possible to rack huge bounties, we are talking 100 million plus. You meant this quite rightly to stop players hunting new players "seal clubbing".

But there is already talk from players that have 10's of billions of credits that can afford to the penalty that they'll rack up 100 million bounty by killing a few new players and then charging real world money to let someone collect that bounty.

I can see this being a very tempting prospect for new players as it effectively let's them buy credits for that first python or anaconda instantly.

Not sure how you can stop this happening, but it's out there already, thought I'd give you a heads up.

Last edited:
Bounty rewards are capped at 1 million and have been for ages. For precisely this reason ( saucy folks used to do what you were talking about waaay back, so to prevent it, the 1 million cap was introduced).

Last edited:
Yeah, this doesn't work due to the reason above. While you can get a huge bounty, it's what you pay, not what the hunter gets. They only get 1 million max.

So, nope.

Is there a cool down after each collect? Otherwise kill, rinse. Repeat.

Before getting a million credit bounty took ages. It wasnt practical to farm credits this way. Now it is.

Never under estimate how far people will go to earn real money.

Bounty rewards are capped at 1 million and have been for ages. For precisely this reason ( saucy folks used to do what you were talking about waaay back, so to prevent it, the 1 million cap was introduced).

But, but, but 1 million credits for a bounty is chicken feed! What's the point of the C&P system if this is capped at such a low level!

Are you really telling me that bounties are capped to 1 million? If that's the case, then the C&P system is never going to work imo. Even 100mil is insignificant, to some players. But I appreciate your post, newbies would pay for such a big head start in the game! I think an alternative system is needed.

Edit. Please ignore me... I got the wrong end of the stick...

Last edited:

Before getting a million credit bounty took ages. It wasnt practical to farm credits this way. Now it is.

It'll be insanely costly for the "gold seller". They'd need to buy credits in order to afford the fines and whatnot. Lol

Perhaps, but never underestimate how little people are willing to go through to buy game money either.
First they have to pay real cash, and then they have to manually collect hundreds of bounties to receive their goods ?
Both, seller and buyer, would have to spend hours just to complete that trade
No, it's simply not practical, that's not how this stuff works.
The whole point of these deals is convenience and ease of use.
There is no problem here.

But, but, but 1 million credits for a bounty is chicken feed! What's the point of the C&P system if this is capped at such a low level!

Are you really telling me that bounties are capped to 1 million? If that's the case, then the C&P system is never going to work imo. Even 100mil is insignificant, to some players. But I appreciate your post, newbies would pay for such a big head start in the game! I think an alternative system is needed.

Cmdr Cosmicspacehead is (unusually :p) right on this I think;
A million cred bounty is not bad to earn but a 100 million rebuy is hell to pay.

I also think transferring the 200 mill for the 'Conda you bought on eBay - one million at a time - wouldn't be all that attractive. FDev could put in an Elite Rank versus Current Assets flag and then there's name and shame.

About a year ago a squeaky voice American kid appeared on the GTA 5 scene, no one had heard of him before and people laughed when he starts selling GTA V dollar exploits saying no one would pay for that.

He estimated to have made nearly a million real life dollars now.

Never underestimate how far people will go to make money.

About a year ago a squeaky voice American kid appeared on the GTA 5 scene, no one had heard of him before and people laughed when he starts selling GTA V dollar exploits saying no one would pay for that.

Considering how tonally different GTA and Elite is, not sure that works as comparison.

The only MASSIVE FLAW is in your thinking...

As the seller you would need massive bounties in a 100 different jurisdictions. For every 1 million your buyer collects, you pay at least 50 million. How long to earn that 5 Billion?

Sad that the passenger mission 'exploit' has been closed? Massive blow for some people. Maybe sell the entire account?

Last edited:
On the contrary, it was and is still, very very easy to get a massive bounty. What the "old gold farmers" used to do was:

Get a T-9
Load up with illegal goods
Get scanned in a system where the item is illegal = massive fine
Log out, log back in again, get scanned
Rinse and repeat
They would now have say a 20 million fine
All they then did was shoot something that was not wanted and the fine would turn into a bounty
20 million fine now equals a bounty
Mate/buyer could now shoot them and claim the full 20 million or whatever

That's why its capped. It was very easy to exploit.

"Massive" is a bit of an overstatement. Under the current rules, along with the bounty caps, using the new crime and punishment to farm in-game credits is a huge waste of time. There are far more efficient methods of generating in-game credits that don't rely on the crime and punishment system. If I were to use all three of my game accounts I could load up any size cargo hold with rare commodities in a very short period of time. The player (or players) supplying the commodities only invest a fraction of the credits that the recipient receives when making the sale ... and this is perfectly legitimate game play that Frontier encouraged during the Colonia Expansion Initiative. The only thing that would be discouraged would be trading the commodities for real-world cash which, I'm pretty sure, would violate Frontier's terms of service.

Lol, earning one million in the game takes a few minutes, if anyone is willing to pay for that and go through all the struggle that's fine. They are making less money in more time after all...

There is a difference between the bounty that gets paid out (1 million) and what you need to pay upon respawn (in some cases several millions). It will be fun when the credit sellers find out

Let's see a link for that story, and from a verifiable source, i couldn't find anything on that.
Besides, google and YT are ripe with GTA exploits for anyone to look up freely.
Again, it isn't about how far people will go to make money. If you don't have an easy and speedy method to distribute exploited goods you won't make any.

Bounties aren't capped to 1 million. The bounty voucher you get when killing a wanted player is capped at 1 million.
Also I think I remember it was 1 million per faction.

We probably need to be aware of the distinction between bounty and fine.

Did anyone else watch last night's live stream? <hint hint>

Top Bottom