Master Brabens' closing statement from the Reddit AMA today. 11/4/17

Damn Mr Braben is a brave, brave man. He has unequivocally confirmed that walking around is coming, and it will very likely be within the next 12 months (noone is daft enough to reiterate a feature many people have asked for, without it being in development already)

Personally, I couldn't care less if I stayed strapped to my chair. I just hope when they do introduce movement, there is a real point, and not just a way to get more missions.

Wheely chairs!

- - - Updated - - -

Well I'm excited and looking forward to 2.3 coming live- I keep checking the server status! In the face of all the negativity all I can say is 'keep up the great work David Braben OBE, I love the game, it's excellent. Although if the Panther Clipper could be made available that'd be great!' and can it, please, be as good as the one in Frontier all those years ago?

Look round 4pm, but don't hold your breath for then.

Glad to hear it from Braben. Elite, Frontier, and FFE were game changers. Braben was a great assembly game coder and is a real genre fan. ED's future is his vision. I have faith FDev have been working hard behind the scenes and won't let us down and we'll see the greatest of things to come no matter how many further years and seasons it takes.

Last edited:
Damn Mr Braben is a brave, brave man. He has unequivocally confirmed that walking around is coming, and it will very likely be within the next 12 months (noone is daft enough to reiterate a feature many people have asked for, without it being in development already)

Personally, I couldn't care less if I stayed strapped to my chair. I just hope when they do introduce movement, there is a real point, and not just a way to get more missions.

Don't spread false hope please... What he said doesn't mean they are coming anytime soon, nor soon(tm)

Last edited:
To be fair, they are the 2 worst examples you could possibly have used.

Pulsar isn't a finished game, but people KNOW that, and don't complain as much. I think the issue is releasing Elite with such barebones content, yet calling it 'complete'. It's a lot like MMORPG games, except in space, with less elves.

Yeah I know they are, but they are also the other 2 'big' scifi games. I wasnt saying ED was complete when it was released, just it was more complete than those 2

The way FD are releasing ED is actually really good imo- You pay once for a certain block of the game, and then FD expand into those blocks of the game with mostly complete content that can be played but added to later on

[–]DavidBrabenCEO & Founder - 4 minutes ago
Thank you so much for everyone that took part.
It's great to see so many people participating on AMAs like this, and watching our live streams.
Speaking of which, I'm now off to appear on our live stream with Ed at about 2pm BST.
The future for Elite Dangerous is very exciting, including a whole raft of incredible features, yes including 'space legs' but so many more things too. We have such a great community, and we're really glad that you guys share our passion and support us.
David Braben

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/64pp4c/ask_him_anything_david_braben_obe_fdev_ceo/

Wow - thanks for sharing!

I don't know where he's getting this either. People have no problem paying outright for an expansion/season pass, just look at Fallout 4's or The Witcher 3's. Difference is, Bethesda and CDPR's expansions usually contain a lot of content AND they're delivered in a timely manner.

Why would he mean more frequent full fledged expansions? You mean like the whole of season 2 in one go? More frequently, as in, more than once every 18 months/2 years? Hahahahaha. Please.

I totally agree - compared to some other game DLC, I got more value from the Horizons Season Pass and have no regrets at all.

That said, If smaller, optional $10 updates came out twice a year I'd be ok with that, however I don't see how that would work better?

Last edited:
We're 2 years past full release. You only get to use that argument for so long. Maybe FD should have done what most other studios do and release a full game first, eh?

Maybe you should talk to some of the people who have been waiting for Star Citizen for the last 4 years......

This is funny because ED was a much more complete game on release than when No Mans sky was released, or star citizen has ever been

Not sure I agree with that. NMS is the other game I play a lot of, as I find the exploring side of it quite enjoyable. NMS on release was a reasonable game that gave me weeks of entertainment - and each update has done the same again (as has each E: D update). My view is that they are both full games, in that the sandbox is essentially complete. We just need more toys in the box (which are being added regularly). SC I'm looking forward to, but will not be buying that until actual release.

- - - Updated - - -

No thread lock yet? :)

Yes, are we operating new rules for thread locking today? Don't mention 2.3 at all or it will be locked, seems to be the theme...

I totally agree - compared to some other game DLC, I got more value from the Horizons Season Pass and have no regrets at all.

That said, If smaller, optional $10 updates came out twice a year I'd be ok with that, however I don't see how that would work better?

What you or i can see isn't the point here i think.
It's what FD sees and have seen.
And it seems they have seen enough now to move away from that season pass model.
In other words, it didn't work quite as well as they had hoped for.
Also remember their recent price cuts to store items.
They are adjusting, and that's the right thing to do for any business trying to improve their revenue stream.
For me as a player i consider that more flexibility and therefor good news.
I rather cherry pick the content i want than having to buy the whole thing, containing things i have no interest in.

Last edited:

On what do you base that it will likely be in the next 12 months? Sandro said (during one of the live streams during the 2.3 beta) that it wouldn't be in the 3.x expansion and would probably be at least 2-3 years away.

PLEASE dont add stuff as 'very likely', its why devs are so cagey. Yes, its coming. Yes, it has been worked on for a while, but no, it may be a year or many years away. Noone knows.

But still, very cool!

It will probably work better from FD's perspective. Instead of $60 every 2 years, they will get an influx of money every 3-6 months. A smoother revenue stream is better for a company.

We're 2 years past full release. You only get to use that argument for so long. Maybe FD should have done what most other studios do and release a full game first, eh?

Elite Dangerous is a full game. What you want are three games in one, and that takes time.

Elite Dangerous is a full game. What you want are three games in one, and that takes time.

You're assuming i want space legs and...what, exactly? Atmospherics? For one, i don't want legs and two, i don't believe proper complex life bearing atmospherics will ever materialize.

What i do want, is meat on the bones of the placeholders... which comprise most of the game.

Not sure I agree with that. NMS is the other game I play a lot of, as I find the exploring side of it quite enjoyable. NMS on release was a reasonable game that gave me weeks of entertainment - and each update has done the same again (as has each E: D update). My view is that they are both full games, in that the sandbox is essentially complete. We just need more toys in the box (which are being added regularly). SC I'm looking forward to, but will not be buying that until actual release.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, are we operating new rules for thread locking today? Don't mention 2.3 at all or it will be locked, seems to be the theme...

IMHO comparing those two is a bit like saying a screwdriver is more complete than a hamburger. They simply dont intend to do the same thing.

You're assuming i want space legs and...what, exactly? Atmospherics? For one, i don't want legs and two, i don't believe proper complex life bearing atmospherics will ever materialize.

What i do want, is meat on the bones of the placeholders... which comprise most of the game.

Atmospheric planets does not equal planets with life. :)

First step is to release planets like Mars and maybe Venus (which is probably a bit more complex), along with gas giants. All of these will be the next batch of landable planets Frontier release.

Planets with life are much further away.

Did I read "including space legs"...?
QhSQ4pi.gif

Well then...
UKB8aD5.gif

Top Bottom