Master Brabens' closing statement from the Reddit AMA today. 11/4/17

[–]DavidBrabenCEO & Founder - 4 minutes ago
Thank you so much for everyone that took part.
It's great to see so many people participating on AMAs like this, and watching our live streams.
Speaking of which, I'm now off to appear on our live stream with Ed at about 2pm BST.
The future for Elite Dangerous is very exciting, including a whole raft of incredible features, yes including 'space legs' but so many more things too. We have such a great community, and we're really glad that you guys share our passion and support us.
David Braben

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/64pp4c/ask_him_anything_david_braben_obe_fdev_ceo/

The future for Elite Dangerous is very exciting

Why do i get worried when I hear this kind of corporate talk?

p.s. However, space-legs if it ever happens, would be nice.

Last edited:
I mean.. space legs have been a confirmed addition since the kickstarter. I don't know why people keep forgetting, or need the constant reassurance.

You know what? Here's my problem: It's always in the future, and the future never comes.

90% of Braben's answers were: "we're looking at it", and "it's coming in the future".

The SRV answer in particular rubbed me the wrong way. The main headline feature of Horizons, and we won't get a second SRV til season 3 at least. Why?

- - - Updated - - -

Why do i get worried when I hear this kind of corporate talk?

p.s. However, space-legs if it ever happens, would be nice.

The two things you're always guaranteed to hear from Braben: Very exciting, and richness. Because Elite is totally rich in content.

What makes me a bit preoccupied is this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/64pp4c/comment/dg42x3y

Firstly on the season plan; I don't think people liked having to pay for multiple updates in one go, so that is something we are going to move away from. At this end of the 'season' it makes sense, as people can see the huge number of features we are delivering, but it makes for a higher price.

I mean, i'd have preferred a full fledged expansion pack, this sound more like single dlc packs sold separately. What concerns me is that they'll have to make some headline feature for each of them: this could prove to be difficult and leave little time for core game improvements...and also we know how things go with their headline features....

However i might be getting this wrong, and Mr. Braben could mean just a bit more frequent full fledged expansion packs, the line is actually a bit thin.

Last edited:

I mean, i'd have preferred a full fledged expansion pack, this sound more like single dlc packs sold separately. What concerns me is that they'll have to make some headline feature for each of them: this could prove to be difficult and leave little time for core game improvements...and also we know how things go with their headline features....

However i might be getting this wrong, and Mr. Braben could mean just a bit more frequent full fledged expansion packs, the line is actually a bit thin.

surprised me to to be honest... it does not affect me, i get them all anyway but like you say, having to make each one a stand out feature seems hard, and also makign them not disjointed harder still

(what if a person had 1 345 7 9 & 10........but not , 6 or 8 sounds a pig to build properly unless each feature is totally independent and does not weave into the core game at all)

i was convinced the delay of compleating horizons (S2) was so they built the entirity of S3 in advance and released as one huge up front DLC.... this post above seems to dispel that myth however.

Last edited:

I don't know where he's getting this either. People have no problem paying outright for an expansion/season pass, just look at Fallout 4's or The Witcher 3's. Difference is, Bethesda and CDPR's expansions usually contain a lot of content AND they're delivered in a timely manner.

Why would he mean more frequent full fledged expansions? You mean like the whole of season 2 in one go? More frequently, as in, more than once every 18 months/2 years? Hahahahaha. Please.

The future for Elite Dangerous is very exciting, including a whole raft of incredible features, yes including 'space legs'

My future includes a funeral ... could be next week, could be 50 years (hopefully this one) ;)

My point being that his statement doesn't mention a timescale, so don't get too excited.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Don't get too excited, they still can't even commit to an actual date for PS4 release... Q2....Q2.....Q2..... :)

Damn Mr Braben is a brave, brave man. He has unequivocally confirmed that walking around is coming, and it will very likely be within the next 12 months (noone is daft enough to reiterate a feature many people have asked for, without it being in development already)

Personally, I couldn't care less if I stayed strapped to my chair. I just hope when they do introduce movement, there is a real point, and not just a way to get more missions.

Well I'm excited and looking forward to 2.3 coming live- I keep checking the server status! In the face of all the negativity all I can say is 'keep up the great work David Braben OBE, I love the game, it's excellent. Although if the Panther Clipper could be made available that'd be great!' and can it, please, be as good as the one in Frontier all those years ago?

We're 2 years past full release. You only get to use that argument for so long. Maybe FD should have done what most other studios do and release a full game first, eh?

This is funny because ED was a much more complete game on release than when No Mans sky was released, or star citizen has ever been

We're 2 years past full release. You only get to use that argument for so long. Maybe FD should have done what most other studios do and release a full game first, eh?

It's difficult to know exactly what you mean by this. What do you mean by 'a full game'? Because it all works pretty well from where I'm sitting.

If it's anything to do with "they promised [x] 2 years ago and we're still waiting" then there's an expression that springs to mind: the more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets.

This is funny because ED was a much more complete game on release than when No Mans sky was released, or star citizen has ever been
To be fair, they are the 2 worst examples you could possibly have used.

Pulsar isn't a finished game, but people KNOW that, and don't complain as much. I think the issue is releasing Elite with such barebones content, yet calling it 'complete'. It's a lot like MMORPG games, except in space, with less elves.

I mean.. space legs have been a confirmed addition since the kickstarter. I don't know why people keep forgetting, or need the constant reassurance.
Its like saying i love you to your misses, you know that. But it doesnt hurt to say it either :p

Top Bottom