Maternal connection

I was rewatching the E3 gameplay demo and I wonder if offspring will stay close to their mothers or the herd (I know that with some animals the care is divided amongst the herd, like elephants). I wonder this because sometimes the babies seem really far from the adult animals while in some other scenes they do seem to follow and be close. So was it a coincidence the babies were just close (because of a feeder or water source) or was it game mechanics. I really do hope they stay close to their mothers (though sometimes they could roam further) as this is very basic natural behaviour and something I remember missing in zoo tycoon 2.

Hopefully! :)

That said, as young animals get older - especially in the relative safety of a zoo - they do tend to do more wandering. We have three baby tigers where I'm working right now, and while they do spend a lot of time with their mother, now they're 2 months old they're doing a lot more exploring and trying to be as far away from her as possible 😂 I've seen much the same with young elephants and rhino, as well.

It's usually the more vulnerable animals (smaller ungulates come to mind) that are more cautious about wandering from their mother, but babies do have that natural curiosity about them!

Hopefully! :)

That said, as young animals get older - especially in the relative safety of a zoo - they do tend to do more wandering. We have three baby tigers where I'm working right now, and while they do spend a lot of time with their mother, now they're 2 months old they're doing a lot more exploring and trying to be as far away from her as possible 😂 I've seen much the same with young elephants and rhino, as well.

It's usually the more vulnerable animals (smaller ungulates come to mind) that are more cautious about wandering from their mother, but babies do have that natural curiosity about them!
Yeah the animals I was talking about were the springboks and zebra so that’s why it seemed a bit unnatural for them to be far from the herd.

This was an answer to another question. This is as much info as we have so far.

6. Do the Parents take care of their children until grown up? (Show it Food and Water, give it baths, etc.)
There is definitely a limit to how far the simulation goes, but baby animals will live with their parents until they mature, again depending on their individual species.

Top Bottom