Mechwarrior 5 VR mod

PGI in their latest patch (that went along with the non-free DLC... sigh) added UE base code for VR support, so modders could make a VR mod (and so PGI would not have to pay for it... sigh, again).
Not only MW5 has reached a "decent game" status with that patch, but of course VR transcends everything and a stompy robots game is the perfect use case for it !
So here it goes: https://uploadvr.com/mechwarrior-5-vr-mod/
It's almost ready ! Everything we Battletech fans dreamed of since the famous pods many years ago. Is it enough to throw money at PGI ? It pains me but yes i think so.

It’s really hard for not just scream “Shut uo and take my money” I loved MW series back in the day MW Vengeance being my favourite and still have the discs,box and the napping sheet for the Sidewinder HOTAS. I tried this early on but felt it needed more work despite hitting me in the right feels. This will just make it impossible to resist my HOTAS/VR setup has a new reason to stay on my desk.

TBH it's best played with keyboard + mouse, pretty much like MWO which has the same kind of control scheme. Aiming is like in a FPS and trying to aim to precise parts with a joystick (or hit anything at all) is nigh impossible. And hitting precise parts is a huge part of playing Battletech/MW correctly ;) You can use a left hand stick though for movement control, works really well.
And yeah the first released version (on Epic store) was terrible. The big patch they released back in June is what should have been released in the initial version (along with the now separate DLC, which should be free and integrated from the start..)

TBH it's best played with keyboard + mouse, pretty much like MWO which has the same kind of control scheme. Aiming is like in a FPS and trying to aim to precise parts with a joystick (or hit anything at all) is nigh impossible. And hitting precise parts is a huge part of playing Battletech/MW correctly ;) You can use a left hand stick though for movement control, works really well.
And yeah the first released version (on Epic store) was terrible. The big patch they released back in June is what should have been released in the initial version (along with the now separate DLC, which should be free and integrated from the start..)
Well ironically when I could still get MW Vengeace to run back on Win7 I used my X52 and kid you not it was perfectly mapped. I just plugged it in I totally see your point but I have YEARS of playing IL2 so my fine control ability to target is still pretty decent my X56 hasn’t seen that action but for me it’s just about the immersion level whenever possibl. I don’t really do anything MP/PVP anymore so I’ll just be fighting AI so I‘m sure any disadvantage will be forgiving
I know it was/is also on Gamepass whether it will get this love I don’t know but I can at least try it again there before I start throwing money at it if I have to.

I've really been enjoying MW5, even using a Hotas it's great fun (pedals to turn left and right, stick for torso and weapons, throttle for well... throttle). The AI can be stupid but it's still a blast. I've had no issues with accuracy using a hotas but then I fly choppers in DCS so the whole 4 limbs moving at once doesn't really faze me.

Like a lot of these games it's better with mods and there are quite a lot. We're all just hoping they add the clan invasion in at some point.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwCwYUuofh4

I've had no issues with accuracy using a hotas but then I fly choppers in DCS so the whole 4 limbs moving at once doesn't really faze me.
Trust me there, been playing MWO for years, HOTAS players can be easily spotted as they have really poor accuracy in what is in substance a twitch FPS shooter. Mouse for shooting, always. It's not like the previous MW games (up to MW4), at all. I also have a lot of years in sims including DCS but these are not twitch shooters.

MW5 uses the same control and movement as MWO, same dev team, same editor, etc. They switched engines (MWO uses CryEngine, MW5 uses UE) but behind that they re-used a lot of assets and program bits.

When I heard about MW5, I told myself I'd reinstall MWO again. I played the original MWs (Vengence, Black Knight, Mercs) thousands of hours (I still have all the disks).
I spent many game days playing MWO a couple of years ago. I have some nice mechs at my MWO account (Crab, Atlas, Hunchback, and a few others (sold some to buy new)).

I have to make myself reload MWO so I'll know if I'm ready to buy MW5. GL Have fun

Didn't expected some MechWarrior love here. :D

I've pretty much pre-ordered the ultimate package back then, when eventually ended on Epic Games Store.

I would use VR mod, if I could had the VR-compatible hardware...
...along with mods for AI, OpFor deployments, better MechLab, Extra Mechs (especially Clan ones) etc. :D

Didn't expected some MechWarrior love here. :D

I've pretty much pre-ordered the ultimate package back then, when eventually ended on Epic Games Store.

I remembered how much i liked MW back in the days (when it still belonged to FASA) - so finally got it in last December when the entire package was discounted on Epic Store (the discount plus the Epic 10$ voucher - i simply could not resist - even tho almost my entire gaming time is spent mostly on Elite)

And i loved even more the MechCommander Gold - i'd really wish MS would redo the game so it runs on modern computers/OSes and re-release the game

Top Bottom