News Meet the Team #10- Jose Castro (Sound Designer)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Great stuff! Really like that about a radio that passively tunes to frequencies. I like good old radio, yes I'm old and conservative. Everything shouldn't be digital! :)

erm something else popped into my mind... sorry Jose..
foolsandfrontier_zps1c4d6f99.png

rofl..

Thanks for the interesting and informative interview.

I think the "audio HUD" mechanic is a pretty darn clever way of solving the realism/game balance, and will hopefully lead to a superbly believable and immersive experience.

A few questions if that's OK:

Will there be 3D positional audio?

Will the different classes and makes of vessel have their own individual startup sounds and ambience? For instance, will sitting in a small beaten up fighter sound distinctly different to a nicer vessel (like the difference between a F16 and a luxury Learjet or perhaps a Ford and a Rolls-Royce)?

Oh, and what's your favourite weapons effect so far? :D

An excellent interview. As I mentioned earlier, I enjoyed it immensely.

But I have some extra sound questions for Jose;

1. What is the sound of 1 hand of cards?

2. If a tree falls in the forest and there is no-one there to hear it, is the cat dead or alive?

3. Which is best; Plymouth Sound or Calf Sound?

4. Does the phrase "sound as a pound" actually increase your credit limit?

That is all.

Thanks Jose and Ashley, for a very evocative interview!

- Love the Nostromo comparison, and look forward to creating my ship with its distinctive whispers and creaks and "hang on that doesn't sound right"

- I think it's great to include the radio and audio HUD as real components that can be tweaked and or damaged

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
An excellent interview. As I mentioned earlier, I enjoyed it immensely.

But I have some extra sound questions for Jose;

2. If a tree falls in the forest and there is no-one there to hear it, is the cat dead or alive?

Schrodinger, come get your cat!

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
Nice interview! The attention to audio is welcome, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what ED delivers in this area. The audio HUD is a great addition, as others have said. I really like the radio concept, too! And the ability to tune into astronomical phenomena? How cool is that?!

Glad to hear that the ships will have a startup sequence (and sounds) as well. I'd hate it if you just pressed a key to enter the ship and then it was all powered up and ready to fly. Not nearly as immersive that way.

Just a thought, any comment from Jose or FD on what the Pulse Laser will sound like.... Perhaps an audio clip may be worth posting.... (HINT!) :D

Loving what you are planning to do with sound in the game.

I am missing details on surround sound functionality though.

I'm aiming for a new headset and I'm wondering if I should go for a surround version.

I'm aiming for a new headset and I'm wondering if I should go for a surround version.

First, there are two things - one is sound source position, which is like default in 3D games like for 8 years already. Second, surround has nothing to do with position and I see such headsets as kinda snake oil, because good position mixing + 2.0 headset works the same. Still, I think ED will support 5.1/7.1 mixing, and then it's up to your OS to deliver it to your preferred audio device.

(long time lurker, first post!)

Great link. I'd forgotten how good the sound is in that film and that particular sequence is great. How do you make a sequence that is basically showing a computer starting up into something that is gripping and interesting?

It's very encouraging to read about the depth of thought that is going towards making the Elite Dangerous Universe immersive and coherent.

The idea of each craft having it's own distinct audio "fingerprint", is brilliant and will really contribute to the immersion of the game.

Regarding coherence - and this applies to the game in general, from what I've seen; It is great that FD are taking the time to figure out a back-story to the Universe (a theory behind the design of different craft, different space stations, etc). Hopefully that'll create the impression of a seamless universe, without the presence of inconsistencies to break the spell.

Props to all!

Hi Jose,

Thank you very much for the interview.

Sound is one of those things that if not done right can ruin an otherwise good film/series/game etc. It certainly sounds (pardon the expression) that the audio of Elite : Dangerous is in good hands.

Jose Castro; said:
The player’s ship is at this point both the main character and scenario in the game, so my goal is to have it generate a rich soundscape on its own: the hums and chatter from the electronic equipment (think Nostromo starting up), the whirl of the air conditioner, the resonances of the weapons in the cockpit... there’s a myriad of elements that we can work within this inner space, all of which can be reactive to meaningful parameters to the point that an experienced pilot should know the state of the spaceship just by listening to it.

In addition to the “sound HUD”, the spaceships will include a different device, a radio of sorts, rudimentary but dependable, that plays through a speaker in the cockpit and passively tunes to radio frequencies, say that of a “nearby” pulsar or the engine of a spaceship passing by; in case of general interface malfunction, the radio might very well be the only source of information on the outside world.

I read those bits of the interview and the ideas that I could see in my minds eye .. wow.. I can't wait to see and most importantly hear how all this works out in the finished game.

About time i say, since sound is half the game and immersion that make me play a game over and over for a number of hours/days. :D

How big is the sound liberary for ED going to be?

First, there are two things - one is sound source position, which is like default in 3D games like for 8 years already. Second, surround has nothing to do with position and I see such headsets as kinda snake oil, because good position mixing + 2.0 headset works the same. Still, I think ED will support 5.1/7.1 mixing, and then it's up to your OS to deliver it to your preferred audio device.

I second that. Get a good pair of headphones (not necessarily a headset - you can get a separate mic) plus a proper sound card and you'll be fine. Especially good headphones can make worlds of a difference.

Ascii

Sounds like some love is going into the sound design. Fantastic :D
Here's some sound **** from the mention in the interview; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ywWFvjE-yU

First off, yes to the Nostromo influence but watching that video also raises another issue I think is somewhat important, even if it does stray from sound.

I'm quite the lover of basic text, ascii, displays as we can see from the above vid and I think something along those lines would make a fine addition to the game.

The ending to portal is one of the best endings to any game I have ever played, but is a great example of what I mean :

text thing starts at 50 secs..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RthZgszykLs

Last edited:
Great interview again, love the thought that's going into all the elements of E: D and cannot wait to hear my first docking sequence, although mine will probably end with a huge crash and another scar around the station entrance! :rolleyes:

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom