Meet the Team and Q&A - Sam Denney

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I am a hugh Disney fan, so most of the rides I think of are their dark rides like Peter Pan, and Mr Toads Wild ride. My favorite coaster right now would be the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.

Can you elaborate on the Dark Ride aspect?
Once you enclose something indoors will it be truly dark inside?
How important is theming on the coasters and rides?
Will there be water rides like the log flume, and river rapids?
What kind of transport rides will there be at launch? Monorail, Train?

Thanks,

Hey Sam!

Thank you for taking the time answering our questions. Great questions so far and i hope they get all answered ;)
My questions is regarding editing. Say you have completed a coaster and want to change a piece of track. Do you have to delete that piece of track or will you be able to alter it in someway. How do you plan to connect to existing tracks? As the tracks are more free-form there should be some sort of help connecting to existing track pieces!?

Just one question really.

Are you advising on the Sounds for all of these rides as well? Sound is such an important part of amusement rides and Roller coasters, from the initial start up, to the electrical humms and of course the chain lifts and b&m signature "roar"... If so, can you explain your strategy for incorporating sounds into the game to bring it to life? If not, move on to the next question :)

Oh Sam, I forgot to ask. Will ride lines being full determine if the peeps pass the ride up and if they do does it effect their mood towards the park??
Thanks!

1. How realistic will the coaster physics be? Right now it seems like every coaster is really fast.

2. Will there be any type of construction animation as we build the ride/once its finished? Say maybe the ride is in "blueprint mode" as you build, and once you're done a construction crew comes out and build. Not sure how possible that is though.

3. How will entering the ride work? I have a question for both flat rides and coasters.
a) Coasters: Will they line up in rows once they get to the station? Something like this (sorry I can't find a better picture).
b) Flat rides: I see there are no more ticket booths (?), so will the guests just wait at a turnstile before riding?
EDIT: I see there's a ticket booth at the beginning of the line now (smarter). Will there be a way to turn this off though? At parks like Disney, Universal, etc there is no ticket booth except at the park entrance.

4. Will we able to move/edit supports at all?

5. Also, will the B&M Wing Coaster make it in the game? What about RMC wood/steel coasters? Are they are any fairly new coaster types that will be in the game?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello,

1) Are you planning to reimplant the blocks in the rollercoaster like in rct 2 and 3 ?

2) There will be an option in the game to make easily buildings with roof for making big hidden warehouse for rides or restaurants ?

Hey, over at the RCTW forums Deuce who I am pretty sure is in the CHC here came up with the most amazing idea. The comparison table that is on this forum and the other forum is a lot of guess work and people are shouting about certain features etc. Well PC is beating every game by a landslide right now but would you do me the great honor and filling it in for us (just the PC part, unless you have spys over the other side [cool])

RCT WorldPlanet CoasterThemeParkitect
Price (Basic Edition)35€ to 46€ / 50$27€ / 30$15$
PlattformsWin/Linux[SIZE=2]+[/SIZE]WinWin/Linux/Mac
LenguagesEng, Fr, Esp, It, Ger, Dut, Pt-Br, Rus, Chin.English OnlyEnglish Only
Perspective3D3D3D - isometric only
TerraformingHeightmap #VoxelsHeightmap
Underground Building (tunnels, etc.)No*Yes (w. above)Yes
Water:YesYesYes
Rivers¿No?¿No?¿No?
Waterfalls¿No?¿No?¿No?
Paths3 Sizes/Freeish¿Unknown?/FreeishGrid
MixmasterNo*No*No
Peeps ModelRealisticPixar-likeMii-like
Peep Behaviour¿Unknown?Flow Models / Peep GroupsColliding / Peep Groups
UGC:YesYesYes
SceneryYes¿No?Yes
Flat RidesNo*¿No?Yes
CoastersYesYesYes
Track TypesNo*¿No?¿No?
Coaster TrainsNo*¿No?¿No?
Scenarios¿No?¿No?Yes
Coaster BuilderSpline based / Pieces
Pieces based / Spline​
Pieces
Modular BuildingNo*YesYes
Custom StationsNo/Ugc*Yes (w.above)Yes (w. above)
RestaurantsKiosks/PremadesYes (w.above)Kiosks
Recolor Flat Rides¿No?¿Yes?Yes
Change ride length, wait time and minimum loadYes¿Unknown?Yes
Change Ride Animation¿No?¿Yes?No
Relocate entry/exit¿No?YesYes
Transport RidesNo*YesYes
Water RidesNo*YesºYes
Dark RidesNo*¿Unknown?No*

* After Release, so labeled as No for now... [SIZE=2] + [/SIZE]RCTw gettting to Mac after release
^ UGC Limited to Scenery at launch
# Heightmaps had limited functionality in the first beta of RCTw respect TP (no sharp terrain)
º Small set of water rides said to be available at release, but likely to be improved after release.
¿? Indicates something is doubtful, more interrogation marks, more doubt.

Last edited:
Hi and thank you for taking times to answer some of our questions [up]

About flat rides (amusement rides) how many can we expect in the early bird ? final release ? How much control do we have on them (speed ? etc.).

Thank you [yesnod]

zac say: "Sam is our resident expert in all things Roller Coasters and Amusement Rides. With that in mind, we'd like to keep the topic of questions on rides for this Q&A"

why poeple keep asking questions not about Rides??? [uhh]
Instead they're great questions about rides already![big grin]

Sawyer1

Planet Coaster Ambassador
If you could ask the Planet Coaster community one question, what would it be?

Also, what’s your favourite vintage Roller Coaster and Amusement Rides?

I would love to say Giant Dipper at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk when I went over there in 09'... but we had an open bar and all I can remember is the tunnel! [haha]

Maybe Blackpool's Ghost Train!

___

My question to you is...

We had such a great choice of coaster types on RCT3, will that be as large in Planet Coaster, we've seen the types in the videos and B+M track as concept art. Will we be seeing 'kiddie coaster' types?

Thanks for all the amazing work!

Short question this time :) I'm from Spain... and i would like to ask you, in Wich lenguages are going to be translated the game? (Always about menus... screen texts..)

I thought about voices in game..... Could be GREAT to hear some sentences or words from guests in different world lenguages in our parks :p

In regards to heart-lining with the coaster builder, is this something that the track can do automatically (a la NoLimits 2) or is it something players will need to judge by eye?

Hi Sam!
Nice to meet you. Thank you for using time for us!

I have two questions about coasters. I was thinking about what would be great to have in Planet Coaster and it was quite obvious. My favorite coasters are the one who are incredibly themed and immersive. In my dream game (in which I'd pour hundreds on expansions), I am able to reproduce Frontierland at Disneyland Paris: a track designed to "fit" on a (fake) mountain and so perfectly integrated to the park. With a stong theme and lots of détails to immerse guests.
So, what I want is that, to be able to create a coaster in which guests will take care of the landscape and what is surrounding them. Think about Eurosat at Europa Park, De Vliegende Hollander at Efteling (what a fantastic ride!). We need to be able to simulate on-board music too! Please!

In this regard, I have another question: will we have ways to customize track pièces "even more" than before? Again, think of Vliegende Hollander or even Space Mountain at Disneyland Paris: the train makes a stop on a vertical track (so it needs breaks and a way to maintain the train) then a timer and a magnetic (I think? Or induction?) launch. You have the same kind of special tracks on Vliegende or even on Baron 1898 (the smoke after the drop, for example). Would that be possible?

To answer your question: you may have noticed that I care a lot more about the whole experience, which is, to me, more about the atmosphere of the ride than the sole layout (but a bad layout is bad! Rock n'roller coaster is misconcepted I think, way too boring once the launch is done). So I'd say that as a kid I loved the "boomerang" classic steel circuit. Simple, but great for small to moderate parks!

Last edited:
Hi Sam!
Only two questions here.

One is more asking as a fellow artist and game designer, how was the jump into creating the 2D expansions or RCT2, and your work as lead artist, to working in 3D with RCT3. I suppose it was huge, but I would love if you could get more into detail about the whole experience and how you and the team tackled it.

The other is about Planet Coaster. We've seen some amazing concept art of really advanced coaster parts you are working on. Like the B&M suspended chainlifts motor section, the B&M coaster gates opening station, or the brakes section having full realistic suports. My question is, how are you going to implement all this advanced coaster parts. Are they built automatically while building the coaster, or its placement of them somewhat different and/or optional.

I would have liked to know if there could be some on board system we could add music to the coasters, but we already know sadly custom music is out, so I dont know if you could answer any of that.

Thanks in advance for answering all this questions and I really hope everything is going great for you and the rest of the Planet Coaster team.

What's the most "advanced" type of ride we can make.

Will there be a way to make anything similar say Universals Escape from Gringotts? or Transformers the Ride?

I know its been mentioned that we can customize the sequences of flat rides...can you go more in depth on that? Is it just the time and/or times the ride goes "around" like in the past that can be customized? Or what else is possible?

I'd like to know more about the design process when you start your work on a new ride.

How is the sketching and design process? How many are there on a team that works on a single ride?
What's the typical workflow from idea to final assets?

Hi.

Will it be possible to change the type of train in a ride like mantis/rougarou at cedar point and will it increase thé popularity of this ride ?

Sam Denney

Lead Artist
Frontier
Hi Guys.
I've succumbed to an illness today but will be answering your question tomorrow. Sorry to keep you hanging about but I want to be of sound mind when I post :)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom