Mentoring?

I recently started and got thru road to riches to I can nav well but I’ve been avoiding mining and engineering 😅
What’s a good ship I can start with that’s all time reliable. I got a keel back atm btw

as for ship, id say cobra mk3. its a good cheap all-rounder. but im new too so I could be wrong.

I didn't do the pre-reading and have been kinda stumbling along blindly a bit coz of it, so would recommend reading stuff before if u can.
Saying that, with the help of some awesome people on these forums, Inara, coriolis, roguey, some distance calculator website and some other 3rd party sites; I got by and now have a much better understanding of everything and feel im finally getting somewhere.

My time on ED so far, in a nutshell, is: "try stuff, fail stuff, try and fail stuff again, so read stuff, learn stuff, and then do stuff right (or at least better)". Would of been simpler if i had just read stuff first, but then again some of the mistakes ive made were a laugh haha. but yeah reading up on things is a necessity in this game (more so than any other game ive played, possibly even more than when i was at college haha).

Anyway, good luck with everything, hope it all goes well o7

I went the Eagle and then Viper route back in the day. The Eagle is good but its a bit fragile - can move though! The Viper Mk IV is pretty good until you can get enough cash to get a Vulture. The Vulture is awesome - those 2 Large Hardpoints...ooh man and such fun - its a tank. I got rammed to death at a CG by a guy in a Vulture when I was in my Eagle.

Its pricey but its a good starter into the mid level ships.

Oh yeah the eagle, someone said on FB about kitting one out for speed and then flying thru canyons in it. does sound fun, going to give that a try one day.

I thought about vipers, cant remember why i went cobra mk 3, glad i did tho, f*king love the cobra (hence that other thread i started haha).

Yeah on a vulture now, love it. It reminds me of a ship i saw in a film, but i cant remember which film or ship unfortunately (thinking it was something small, like the Krytonian scout ship in man of steel). I just finished with Farseer, got everything i could engineered by her, and the thrusters are insane, so much manoeuvrability. I can just sit pretty much right on top of someone and stay there like a fly hovering over an old dog, nothing can shake me and being that close makes their chaff essentially useless. Good times :D. Do enjoy ramming stuff too. Before I got autoloaders I used to ram stuff while i waited for my MCs to reload, now i just do it for :poop: & :LOL:.

Yeah think my vulture cost about 18 mil so far with all the mods and engineering, still got more engineering to do as well.

as for ship, id say cobra mk3. its a good cheap all-rounder. but im new too so I could be wrong.

I didn't do the pre-reading and have been kinda stumbling along blindly a bit coz of it, so would recommend reading stuff before if u can.
Saying that, with the help of some awesome people on these forums, Inara, coriolis, roguey, some distance calculator website and some other 3rd party sites; I got by and now have a much better understanding of everything and feel im finally getting somewhere.

My time on ED so far, in a nutshell, is: "try stuff, fail stuff, try and fail stuff again, so read stuff, learn stuff, and then do stuff right (or at least better)". Would of been simpler if i had just read stuff first, but then again some of the mistakes ive made were a laugh haha. but yeah reading up on things is a necessity in this game (more so than any other game ive played, possibly even more than when i was at college haha).

Anyway, good luck with everything, hope it all goes well o7
Heard it’s op

I went the Eagle and then Viper route back in the day. The Eagle is good but its a bit fragile - can move though! The Viper Mk IV is pretty good until you can get enough cash to get a Vulture. The Vulture is awesome - those 2 Large Hardpoints...ooh man and such fun - its a tank. I got rammed to death at a CG by a guy in a Vulture when I was in my Eagle.

Its pricey but its a good starter into the mid level ships.
Imma try that out

lol no worries. never considered it OP, coz its so small and stuff, so the use of "OP" threw me lol. I mean ive killed quite a few with no problem, split second bursts from my MCs and boom dead cobra. I've also been killed in one without much problem too haha, so it does have its drawbacks, its just a good useful little ship :).

Cant really think of any ships that are OP, suppose certain blueprints could be called OP maybe? (like that corrosive damage, that messed me up the first time i got ganked by another player - oh yeah that was in my cobra funnily enough lol). tho Ive only been playing a couple of months, so what do i know? haha.

But yeah cobra and vulture are both awesome ships, Ive taken apart bigger ships with higher ranks in both. My only experience of the other ships mentioned (eagle and vipers) is killing them, never flown them. Out of those the eagles were generally harder to kill than vipers. Coz like lgjohn said they can fcking move haha.

anyway, thanks for the clarification o7

Last edited:
Top Bottom