Meridian - a planetary circumnavigation

oSdIy9F.jpg

I have started the trench run, and this surface map, even the zoomed in one is particularly serine compared to what it is actually like on the ground. Unfortunately, I was more focused on my driving, so didn't get any good screen shots, though it is so dark down in them, the hologram map would be about the only thing to see. I started with my normal hull when leaving the ship, and repaired it with a premium hull synth when it got down to 30%, and I am at 45% right now with that premium hull.

m3Fgpos.png

The green square area was really deep, and completely full of crags. I don't think I will be going back to those Teeth to the Underworld when I eventually come back and visit this moon.

During the brief respite emerging from there, I did take a minutet relax.

07pct8G.png

Anyway, back to driving.

I normally run exploration in Fleetcomm or solo. Solo right now. I am a member of Mobius too, so that works.

EDIT: I am now in Mobius. CMDR Straha Yeagar

Last edited:
I normally run exploration in Fleetcomm or solo. Solo right now. I am a member of Mobius too, so that works.

I'm there now in Mobius.
Just requested Fleetcomm but I expect that will take a while to be accepted.

Edit: LOL, Cmdr Straha will have a strange friend request.

Proper friend request sent!

Last edited:
Had a great surprise and visit from CMDR Nick Sticks right here...

I4sonh4.png

It took us a bit to get wings and matching instances working. Damned FDev, and their networking stuff. Yeah, that's what it was. It certainly couldn't have been us trying to wing up from different Private Groups or anything like that :D

HsTFmNg.png

Once we joined the same group it didn't take long for the industrial silhouette of the exploration T7 to crest the rim of the trench and begin it's careful descent.

TXt4Xcn.png

As required when commanders meet up to take a break, hijinks ensued, and Cmdr Sticks was the first to stick the landing on top of our ships...

Yx6mMSW.png

We then turned our attention to the much taller T7. I managed to get myself stuck on my tail and since I was up against the ship, none of my modules were working, so no thrusters to right myself. With a gentle shove, Cmdr Sticks managed to right me, and after several more attempts by both of us, I finally managed to plant myself firmly on the hulks back.

31zil9W.png

An airborn Cmdr Sticks...

sVIq9Vr.png

Great fun was had by all.

I decided to park up for the night right here.

Lat: 18.8432
Lon: 166.6163
Srv 3.75 MM

Last edited:
Yes, it's always good to meet up with CMDRs, especially when they are so far from civilisation.

My black T7 hides itself well in those shadows.

I'll let you carry on in peace for the time being but if you want a surprise you'll have to carry on in a PG!

Drive safe Cmdr, o7.

Yes, it's always good to meet up with CMDRs, especially when they are so far from civilisation.

My black T7 hides itself well in those shadows.

I'll let you carry on in peace for the time being but if you want a surprise you'll have to carry on in a PG!

Drive safe Cmdr, o7.

It does indeed hide well in the shadows[yesnod]

You need to post your pictures too!

The meeting of great explorers!
The dark silhouette of my T7 is to the left of the ASP.

aUHrrj1.jpg

A stuck Cmdr Straha Yeagar trapped near my T7.
A gentle nudge from underneath got the stricken SRV on its wheels again.

EWkO4Wy.jpg

On top of the ASP. I was actually aiming for my T7 but ricocheted off it and landed on the ASP, complete fluke.
Love the worn paint.

pEp95U3.jpg

Touch down on the T7 by Cmdr Straha Yeagar

ZeTJ4dF.jpg

Final goodbyes before leaving.

S0EVs9v.jpg

Good work, guys, and a great report.

I usually prefer darker paint jobs for my ships but if I ever try something like this I must remember to spray something more visible :D

I'm heading generally in that direction, but I'm circling around from the wrong side of the bubble. :) I haven't taken the Krait out to my personal planetary nebula yet (Dumbio YO-A e308), which is in a similar area, just a bit closer to Colonia and more eastward. It gives me an excuse to get out there. I like to take my latest exploration ship through there when I get the chance. ;)

I'm heading generally in that direction, but I'm circling around from the wrong side of the bubble. :) I haven't taken the Krait out to my personal planetary nebula yet (Dumbio YO-A e308), which is in a similar area, just a bit closer to Colonia and more eastward. It gives me an excuse to get out there. I like to take my latest exploration ship through there when I get the chance. ;)

I'm going to be out here for a while, so plenty of time for a shake down cruise :D

RbEmmoY.jpg

Today has seen a lot of grueling travel with very little latitude and longitude progression. For the first time since this expedition began over a week ago, mental exhaustion reared its head. The jagged peaks deep within the trenches, paired with near total darkness are manageable in limited duration, but when hours pass, and the steep slopes, the rolling down, having to boost forward only to lose more by falling, it starts to wear on the psyche. It is exhausting.

I realize I am the one who sets my own path, and that it is subject to change on my whim at any time, but I push on because I am going to achieve what I set out to achieve, and follow the path I set myself. There will be plenty of wide open space to come.

onGElvS.png

My next objective. Onward Ho!

PdPyukL.png

And just when you think you hit the highest peak, you see this one...

NB34rct.png

And then this one...

i6hfMHN.png

Aaaand this one...

bm2Pdxt.png

But finally after all those peaks, I finally summited the highest one in this complex, and from the profile on the planetary map, this may be the highest one on the whole moon...

M3R64sA.png

This summit also give one heck of a view of distant features as seen on the planetary map...

cACmjhF.png

It was a hell of a day, with the most exciting adrenaline pumping, and terrifying part right at the end. Coming down out of the mountain, I synthesized a premium hull just to be safe. And then I started tumbling. And then I was going about 108 when I hit the ground and bounced. A lot. Hull down to 48% No problems. I'm almost down, I think. At least that what is looked like. Yeah, no. I got kind of careless, and boosted. Well, the ground was a lot further down than I thought. This time, the first impact, chassis went critical at 16%, and I was still tumbling at around 60m/s, so I frantically started another premium hull synthesis, hoping it would repair in time.

10 seconds till hull repair. Boom. 8 seconds. Hull 8% Bang. 6 seconds. Hull 4%. 4 seconds. Ground rapidly approaching. Crash. Hull 2%. 2 seconds. Airborne again. 40 m/s. 120 meters high. An instant before the final impact that would have ended this mission, after the longest ten seconds of this expedition, the sweet soothing tones of my COVAS informed me that my chassis was repaired.

Once I regained control of my SRV, my hull was at 96%. I had evaded the failure I had set in motion. I took a few moments to regain my composure and made it to the bottom with no further incident.

Camped up for the night. It was a long day, and my quarters and comfortable in Buckeye II are beckoning.

nPuZdT6.png

Lat: 15.2574
Lon: 172.1214

SRV: 3.90 MM

That's one tall peak of a mountain.

For the really dark trenches I found that adjusting the in-game gamma helped to make it bearable.

Edit. Ooh, that was close with the SRV tumble.

Last edited:
Wow, that's a terrifying tumble, for sure! I'm assuming you only have the single SRV there. Yikes.

I'm always amazed by the sheer scale of surface features. I once decided to drive down into a large crater that I had spotted from space, without realizing just how large it actually was. After an hour, I realized I was only half-way down the rim, and decided to recall the ship and fly the rest of the way. I think the crater was something like 500 km across.

BTW, I'm in the neighborhood now. I had more time on my hands this weekend than I expected, so I'm in Colonia now. I'm running around trying to do the unlock requirements for the new engineers (one of the main reasons I came out this way).

Wow, that's a terrifying tumble, for sure! I'm assuming you only have the single SRV there. Yikes.

I'm always amazed by the sheer scale of surface features. I once decided to drive down into a large crater that I had spotted from space, without realizing just how large it actually was. After an hour, I realized I was only half-way down the rim, and decided to recall the ship and fly the rest of the way. I think the crater was something like 500 km across.

BTW, I'm in the neighborhood now. I had more time on my hands this weekend than I expected, so I'm in Colonia now. I'm running around trying to do the unlock requirements for the new engineers (one of the main reasons I came out this way).

Yeah, the scale is awe inspiring. Awesome in the true sense of the word.

If you feel like dropping by for a visit, just let me know, and can join up.

Top Bottom