Meta Alloy Ripe Barnacle sources

Thanks PanPiper! I'm currently making the rounds to rid our galaxy of the UA bombing scourge. The Galnet news, along with your thread are both most helpful. The Sirius CG made it almost trivially easy to repair a station. The list is shrinking, but there's still some work to do. :)

Thanks PanPiper! I'm currently making the rounds to rid our galaxy of the UA bombing scourge. The Galnet news, along with your thread are both most helpful. The Sirius CG made it almost trivially easy to repair a station. The list is shrinking, but there's still some work to do. :)

My objectives are embarrassingly trivial in comparison: snyth for mah pew pew ... and yet, a very good thread for that it still is, too!

Last edited:
Did some MA farming earlier on to fight the UA bombers. Confirm that no change happened this week. All OP barnacles with the doubles are correct till next thursday. Definate state change that week. Almost definate, else another annomoly.

Barny materials,, good source for mats for synth. Had to stock up on my SRV refuels and repairs after the guardian sites. All mat drops are tied to the planetary materials there in detailed scans. Each planet is fixed materials.
Think i may add that to the OP for the 3 systems under study RO-Q 4 , Merope 2A , 5C for now.. longer term prostects along with other ideas to work on too..

The Sirius CG made it almost trivially easy to repair a station. The list is shrinking, but there's still some work to do. :)

Was good to know,, tonight i looked into the MA demand levels and MA required to counter. Early results are promising but suspect its a daily demand tick . Had some deliveries earlier which affected Kagan Vison a Canonn station.

100k Demand expected for a newly closed station but oddities with the UA situation. Wondering how supply demand ratio works now after the sirius CG i did some tests.
2pm approx, before presumed daily BGS tick, 50t MA delivered to counter a 104k MA demand. dont think any others delivered there during that time, or if so not many MA at least.

This evening checked once again on the situation and surprised to see 46k demand !. Could be others delivered there in last 12 hours but not many presumed , would seem maybe 1000 demand countered by 1 MA since after the Sirius CG.

Good news if this is correct, although more data needed to confirm, incoming tomorrow afternoon since 40 t more MA delivered and expect Kagan Vision to be around 5-10k MA demand.

Other oddities noticed today , Kagan dock as well as a few other stations affected very recently didnt get affected but open status, jumped right to brink of closure then closed. Seems accelerated infection, many possible reasons, but some were ODD

BC - Brink Closure C - Closed
Since the Sirius CG. Many stations cured since, affected stations reduced. Progress looking good.

No BM at station, but the system had either another planet base or outpost or startport in system not affected but with a closed BM. Somehow it had affected a different starport in system

Still its cured easy enough now , but a strange development, as even stations without BM can be affected.

Further Birkhoff Station CHNEMINE - Communism , maybe player facction , non PP , only station in system, no landable planets and NO BM. How was this affected? further study, but only possibility i can think is maybe like Kagan a BM can affect another station in system, but here. Maybe a BM in a system of a faction can affect another station in that faction, in ANOTHER system...?

Curious questions, and maybe get some answers soon, but the fight against the Techno plague seems to be going very well since the Sirius CG. Lets reduce that starport list to barely a handful for the next time.. was yesterday the last post, expect the next starport updaate in near a week. 9th 10th 11th of Feb probable

Last edited:
Checked MA demand, has not changed yet today. Checking again later.

Estimates of MA vs MA demand last night are out.. Noted a Cutter load of MA was delivered also to Kagan, so will have to adjust my estimates by a scale of 10... 600 estimate MA + my 52+40 MA.
Maybe MA cancels around 100 Demand each rather than a 1000

Checked MA demand, has not changed yet today. Checking again later.

Estimates of MA vs MA demand last night are out.. Noted a Cutter load of MA was delivered also to Kagan, so will have to adjust my estimates by a scale of 10... 600 estimate MA + my 52+40 MA.
Maybe MA cancels around 100 Demand each rather than a 1000

This information may be of use to you, it originally comes from Zenith on Canonn Discord:

As long as the ratio of MAs to UAs is large enough in favour of MAs, it will counter UA bombing
And the nice thing is the effect lasts a month
This was confirmed by Michael Brookes at Fantasticon when I sounded him out about bringing stations back online.

"How many MAs does it take to counter 1UA?"
"Lots!"

"How can we bring stations back online?"
"You should be able to sell MAs at stations. If you can't then raise a bug report because it should be possible"

"How long does the effect last?"
"We track 1 month of historical sales of MAs and UAs at each station"

The shutdown threshold (without mitigating MAs) seems to be roughly 12 UAs per 10k population.
So 120 UAs will shutdown a station with a system population of less than 100k

My observation before the announcement was it took 10 MAs to counter each UA. I'm wondering if it's come down to 5 MAs for each UA since that Galnet

The Galnet announcement referred to was the one from the Sirius CG that reduced the number of MA required to counter UA effects.

OK round 3 typeup./. FREKKIN GOGGLE KILLED MY TYPE UP MK1 ,, wiped all that info , now begrudged and will shorten the update.
Found many more Braintree's but thats another project underway.
L5HYou7m.jpg

Expecting news and new info with next Starport update,, expected +/-1 day on 9 feb

Starport update list analysis for 10 Jan - 2 Feb [ C-Closed BC-Brink closure Cured -Cured]
Aqqstzj.jpg

Thanks Irongut , Talked with Zenith other night and had a good chat along same lines. Explained much and much made sense. We should have this sorted soon enough and cured, albeit maybe new developments noted recently too.

Latest anomolies , Kagan , No BM .. odd affected. Other staions in system have BM and shutdown BM's but not stations. Strange,, Possible bleed through effect of the techno plague , or it is relocating due to MA at the station it was delivered to originally.

Kagan on the road to being fixed, but in the meantime other 1 system with same no BM at target.

Wierdest of all One system , one station , no BM , no landable planets , UA shutdown. HOW ? outside system influence or transmission from same factions other stations in other systems perhaps..
Service Economy does seem to be related to the effect.

Till then i'm sure everyone is doing the upmost and we all are curing these stations. Shorten that Starport update list.
Now before i go.. This is the Oddity. Take a look at CHNEMINE , BIRKHOFF STATION.. Any thoughts on how? 1 station , communism faction , no BM, no other possible stations. Only thought is maybe outside system influence on the controling factcion.

Will update the known ripe locations this thursday , i DO expect a change this week, it seems to be settling down to a 2 weekly change, but not definate as it does vary time to time.

Last edited:
i did a barnacle tour this weekend, and Pleiades Sector JC-U b3-2 1 (25,3363/25,5291) was a lso a 4 MA double barnacles without defenses.

Good stuff. Double Barnacles are always welcome. Noting this one down for next time to fit into the MA cycles.
Idea is to have 3 cycle weeks with double barnacles for each cycle. E.g Cycle A , B and C would seem to be likely since all results confirm a 3 cycle change.

This cycle call it A, doubles in RO-Q B5-0 Merope 2A and also JC-U B3-2

So far for cycle B & C i've not noted doubles in the barnacles under study so i will explore JC-U B3-2 more.
Best candidate to fill those weeks as no security/authority and the 2 binary planets have over 60 barnacles iirc. Other alternative is IH-V C2-16 also with around 50 barnacles between 3 planets but that involves a long long flight in supercruise to C & D star so wont be using that one. JC-U will fill the role perfectly.
Next cycle change should be tomorrow , its been 2 weeks in this cycle so should be changing. So cycle B, will do my rounds to confirm my ones are behaving as normal then probably take a flight round JC-U to search for doubles there in that cycle.

Starport Updates - Nice to see the latest one early yesterday on the 7th and good news with the fight against the Techno-plague.

Kagan Vision in the Canonn system without a BM was closed but a good response from the other memebers,many deliveries reduced the MA demand there to 0 quickly a day or two before this starport update.
Others were happy too when their local ship store and modules store came back online at Descartes Station.
2nd Feb previous update we had 11 closed stations , 0 on brink of closure and 18 with issues.
9th Feb latest update we have 7 closed stations , 4 on brink of closure and 16 with issues.

Latest changes -
Cured stations this week - Descartes station , Birkhoff Station , Phillips Terminal , Kagan Vision
New stations on brink closure - Bartlet Gateway , Gaffney Dock , Hirase Horizons (Paladin Consortium station) , White Orbital

No oddities with the new stations, all have BM. Good work , the list gets shorter.

Updates tomorrow with the MA changes. Previous prediction from other week should be correct. 2 locations for 2 MA unguarded barnacles. Will add doubles if i find from JC-U later or any other better finds.
Looking at next change, should be a repeat of a previous cycle no.4

RO-Q B5-0 4 -27.10 / 74.60 2 MA unguarded
Merope 5C -28.77 / -114.01 2 MA + Capship

Last edited:
Brief update. will finish up after further checks on possible new doubles.

Regular barnacles behaved like predicted. 1 exception.

RO-Q B5-0 4 -27.10 / 74.60 2 MA unguarded
Merope 5C -28.77 / -114.01 2 MA + Cap+ships

Correct and ripe. Additional
Merope 5C -28.24/-109.52 2MA + Cap+ships Anomoly. Good though. Previous cycles its been 1 MA and guarded then barren. Should have been another barren then 1 MA , but switched to ripe and 2MA. Its something new.
Out of its bad cycle at least. Further study on that type of change, from 1 >2 MA and vise versa. e.g Pleione has only 1MA barnacles since i studied them. One day may get back to 2MA cycle.

Checked other barnacle sites in the Pleiades that have had previous double barnacle states. Noted 3 more locations that may be of use. None of them in a ripe state at the moment.

Cycle B doesnt seem to have any known barnacles in double state and ripe so far. Could be nearest source would be the california neblua. I have several known doubles there , which would be a good source all 3 cycles i would think.
Unconfirmed which weeks they were in but i can calculate 1 of those cycles from 3 locations out there a few weeks back , 1 in each of the california systems.

Cycle A we have doubles in RO-Q Merope and JC-U

this cycle is B, none found but all doubles are still there as barren doubles. Located some older sites which may be of use when they ripen. Possibly some in cycle C.
JC-U system planet 1 , -8.80 / -13.35 and -63.02/-130.88 Barren doubles at the moment, also another in IH-V system D2 90kls trip to D2 46.18/-172.52 Double barren

I'll add these to ones i am tracking for future use. Later will recheck status in the California nebula for this cycle. Noted the last big doubles in Cali Neb, was cycle C.
Wonder if i only find singles there this cycle B, that would make me wonder about the Witch head status in cycle B.

What if doubles happen only 1 in 3 cycles, first A would be Pleiades, B witch head, C California. Just a thought, will check some later . without data is just an idea.

Final update :D checked all screenshotted double barnacles, few problems, error from poor recording of coordiantes. others were right, but out in Witch Head Nebula..

Located a viable double barnacle. but alas its late, many beers and seem to of mounted and wedged myself between a Barnacle and tentacle..
rz8zbf4h.jpg

Thats a launch non horizons version, eject myself and ship to orbit extraction.
Little time left but at least found a double barnacle albeit a little further than you regular folk are used to traveling.

All goes towards the final solution and mapping a double ripe location for anytime.

Cycle B double barnacle,, first in this cycle A & C already covered. in Pleiades and Cali Neb. Cycle B Witch head.
Location Witch Head Sector LC-V C2-10 A4 -22.84 / -176.06

Think it was 4 but could have been 5 before i got stuck, although i did get that sneaky MA which tried to hide close to the main barnacle,, scooped mid air before becoming wedged.. Cheeky MA

Signing off for the weekend. Minor updates if anything new discovered or better locations.

Last edited:
Just checked in on the barnacles, make sure no early change after 1 week. No change, good news.
New starport update list https://community.elitedangerous.com/en/galnet/uid/58a2e35715ac1c5254e3d0b9

I've been busy out at the guardian sites, but returned to Pleiades to check. Will head out California nebula soon if nothing else distracts me.

Few MA already in hold. thought i'd drop in on that Noctrach-Ihazevich Research Facility, Pleiades Sector AB-W b2-4
Was listed as having technical issues. Landed to see the situation.
Seems this is totally clean now. No demand for UA/UP no demand for MA. Nothing showing as affected in the station. All services are back to normal.

News Flash. Dont think this has been noted yet, or i missed it if it was,, not a much frequented place. Tonight decided to return and check on some barnacles for the next stage of research. Cycle B states needed to be checked for California Nebula.
Was a long journey back from Guardian region of space, mainly due to RL work shifts. and stopping to scan anything of interest which is more as of late. Guardian sites taking a back seat for me now, looking like a longer term story developing rather than a small feature. Something new to look for while searching around space. Checked for braintree sites and any ruin's at all those red dwarf stars.

Reaching nearby, first port of call , drop into Mahon research base and see how they are doing. been a two or three weeks since last check. Previously had some MA demand , curious at the time. possible some UA was dropped once. lower than previously.
iirc around 600, then 500 approx,, 438 now.

Checking for other faction news for expansions, nothing. but then found this snippet of info. New Herald published , after i last visited. Dont think its noted yet. but possible developing story?

Back to checking the barnacles states soon.
C4o61vS.jpg

Back to barnacles surveying. Passing through California clusters, ongoing scans , logging doubles. new finds. Most were x2 in cycle C. Now have a double in cycle B also. if one in A then all year round doubles.

Also nearer than the Witch head Double this cycle.
vA3mRz9h.jpg

Last edited:
Just posting because the OP appears to be posting alone but I'm reading and repping and I'm sure many others are!

Thank you once again and keep it up.

The shutdown threshold (without mitigating MAs) seems to be roughly 12 UAs per 10k population.
So 120 UAs will shutdown a station with a system population of less than 100k

This is quite inaccurate.

Fozard Dock (HIP 19934), brought down by myself during a blind test, took just 100 UA's to completely shut down. HIP 19934 has a population of 5 million.

Conversely, at least 240 UAs (brought by myself, cannot verify if anyone else did) caused Jacques Station to merely experience "Technical Difficulties". To date, Jacques has 60,000 population, but at the time IIRC the population of Jacques was much lower.

The connection of UA ratios to population is tenuous at best; population is a systemwide statistic, unless there's evidence of "hidden values" assigning a population to each station. Might be time for another blind test...

Reaching nearby, first port of call , drop into Mahon research base and see how they are doing. been a two or three weeks since last check. Previously had some MA demand , curious at the time. possible some UA was dropped once. lower than previously.
iirc around 600, then 500 approx,, 438 now.

Checking for other faction news for expansions, nothing. but then found this snippet of info. New Herald published , after i last visited. Dont think its noted yet. but possible developing story?

The HIP 18077 Herald said:
after their ship was found drifting in the has reappeared at Mahon Research Base

Where was it drifting? This has clearly been censored! This has shades of what happened to Halsey and Palin when they were out in escape pods for a long time.

Last edited:
With a day off work, much beer is being drunk and returned to the barnacle survey. After the guardian surveys i am done with that for now.
Suspect a long term story is developing but will add searches for other links to those in my expeditions.

Rather than scout a few extra doubles i completed a full scan of the California nebula this cycle. Already have a full scan on known Witch head sites too this cycle.
More doubles located. California nebula has possibly the most double sites known and now 2/3 cycles we have doubles with 5MA . If cycle A in around 3 weeks time confirms a few of the doubles being ripe then , it will be nice.

a 2nd double 4MA located but the best this cycle here is California sector DL-Y D4 C6 -34.46 / -44.43 5 MA double Barny , unguarded obviously out here in this nebula.
eEMFtmGh.jpg

Meanwhile out here while scanning and scouting for new sites located some Cone Fungus . Curious since it fits into my theory they do require Volcanism , fits predicted temp range.
2 sites known in this nebula at Mic Turner base and Mahon Research base, no volcanism there but suspect related to the bases.
Either a garden maintained by the bases for research purposes , no volcanism needed as possibly supplied somehow by the base. All other non base fungus sites have required volcanism present.
Known locations iirc, Colonia area has a few, nebula nearby , Hind Nebula 2 /3 planets with volcanism , both with fungus. the 2 alliance bases in California nebula without volcanism.
Independent Cone Fungus site in California nebula now , Barnacle planet at California DL-Y D4 C2 17.29 / -108.53
84vLgcul.jpg

STARPORTS

Not so much time to check on developments of late, seen a few changes , no new anomalies yet. previous 16 with issues, now 11. This keeps getting lower. Most are older stations still affected, most new additions seem different.
7 closed before, but with 4 on brink. now 11 closed with only 1 on brink.
This is quite inaccurate.
Fozard Dock (HIP 19934), brought down by myself during a blind test, took just 100 UA's to completely shut down. HIP 19934 has a population of 5 million.
Conversely, at least 240 UAs (brought by myself, cannot verify if anyone else did) caused Jacques Station to merely experience "Technical Difficulties". To date, Jacques has 60,000 population, but at the time IIRC the population of Jacques was much lower.
The connection of UA ratios to population is tenuous at best; population is a systemwide statistic, unless there's evidence of "hidden values" assigning a population to each station. Might be time for another blind test...

I cant see the purpose in further blind tests. In the early days there was curiosity, but now after a year and nothing significant i cant see anything developing down that path, maybe curing them will have some story progress, as i am sure there is far more to MA than we know, Pallin knows but wont tell.
It will be more complex than just population, i would assume factions in system will have an affect on BM etc, also goverment type will surely have some effect as well as population.

What is more curious is how the affected stations selected have changed over time. Early days , first was issues, then brink, then closure. Unsure now why issues seems uncommon now, most seem to appear on affected list as brink of closure now. Could be due to renewed target UA deliveries from these UA terrorists, or some new development. We know the Sirius CG altered the balance , also the prior increase in UA availability with crash sites.

I would be interested if you would know if the new additions recently were due to your activity or some new BGS mechanic. How did 3 stations become affected a few weeks back. all without BM in station but 2 with in system.
Other site was only dock in system, no BM. Strange effects those still without explanation. I do hope some story development which as we cure the techno-plague or try to, may make itself more apparent. Maybe the techno plague is now moving away from MA stations and relocates itself to nearby riper sources? Something that would make a nice development. Like a virius becoming resilient , moving to survive.

Curious how many new additions on brink closure each week. i get the feeling its trying to expand as its cured. A struggle for its survival and moving to new grounds.

Onwards .

Where was it drifting? This has clearly been censored! This has shades of what happened to Halsey and Palin when they were out in escape pods for a long time.

Didnt notice that yesteday due to long long day and many many beers. Typical,, i just thought it was Ram Tah with the many typo's, seems many typo's in FD's galnets,inbox messages,and elsewhere.

Its a nice addition and makes me think Mahon research base has something planned. Mic turner base has been there quite some time and never a Herald article.
HIP 18077 found around a month back i think, 2 weeks later around that time, that herald article drops . not at Mic turner base either, so local to that station.

Developments coming i think with 2.3 Maybe linked to Col 70 ? Wreckin Mining and demolition? probably not but some other Alliance plan.

Last edited:
Well tomorrow will be a good day all round. New science for me, study some results , compare to predictions. Have done some work on that , mostly to OP. New layout with best targets for any period listed.
Cycle B coming to an end. Cycle C sometime tomorrow, unless it doesnt happen, then i'll shake my fist in the air screaming darn you FD.. spanners in the works etc lol
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Fortnightly Barnacle State Cycle - B
Soon to change to Cycle C
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cycle A - Doubles in the Pleiades
Nearest double MA's
Pleiades Sector RO-Q B5-0 4 23.59 / 70.94 4 MA Unguarded double barnacle
Merope 2A 2.68 / 143.03 1MA main guarded capship/ships/skimmers , Double nearby Clone 4MA outside exclusion zone. Perfectly safe.Keep away from capship and 1MA barny with exclusion zone.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cycle B - Nearest 2MA
Pleiades Sector RO-Q B5-0 4 -27.10 / 74.60 2 MA Unguarded
Merope 5C -28.77 / 114.01 2 MA Capship Quite safe.

Cycle B - Doubles

California Sector DL-Y D4 C 6 -34.46 / -44.43 5 MA Unguarded
California Sector LC-V C2-10 A 4 32.69 / 71.45 4 MA Unguarded
Witch Head Sector LC-V C2-10 A 4 -22.84 / 176.06 4MA Unguarded
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cycle C - Nearest 2MA
Updated , prior locations were 1MA. nearest 2MA only at Merope 2A
Merope 2A - All have Capships and ships, some caution and its safe. 2MA each site.
-11.23 / -145.37
2.68 / 143.03
Site with double clone nearby. main barny 2 MA with capship. Clone barren , but worrying that appears as a single now this cycle.

Cycle C - Doubles
California Sector LC-V C2-10 A 4 -9.71 / 138.80 5MA Unguarded
California Sector DL-Y D4 C 3 48.34 / 11.74 4MA Unguarded
California Sector BA-A E6 4 30.58 / -66.27 4MA Unguarded

quick paste up from OP as i wont type that lot out all again. Thats the basic all time MA location plan. Subject to change over time, as some have altered their long term states but i will monitor its progress, add or change as needed.
Any new doubles found which are not listed or known or found always welcome, can see if it will fit into the greater good.

As for the great work many Cmdrs here are doing in the cure for the Starport Technoplague.
I salute you all, as the rest of the galaxy should do.

We are approaching a great time soon. My predictions at the starport cure rate suggest withing 4-5 weeks. This should be before 2.3 goes live.
We can look forward to a eradication day almost, or some unexpected story development regarding the MA stations perhaps. Some interesting times are ahead of us. It reminds me much like the Cerberbus plague struggle finally cured at Bast.

Last check there are just 6 Closed stations , 11 before , 6 cured and 1 new from brink closure.
Eldar works , Frick Base , Gaffney Dock , Haisheng Orbital, White Orbital and Yeliseyev Beacon remain closed .
2 new on the brink of closure , Grego Reach and Apt Orbital

Previously 16 with UA issues , now 9 with issues.

List keeps getting shorter every week. 4 more weeks at most we shall be on the brink.

O7

Last edited:
+1 and thanks for keeping this updated. I'm at the RO-Q B5-0 4 one again and filling the holds. There'll be more work to do once the list is cleared though. There are some stations that don't show up on Galnet that have MA demand. It's not as important as the closed or affected group, but prevention is a good thing too. We need to check the demand while we have no MAs in our holds to see the indication of the UA bomb. Alternates are good for that.

Evidently, something has changed. Pleiades Sector RO-Q B5-0 4 -26.57 / 73.32 and Merope 5C -26.35 / -156.40 have a "Trespass Zone" set up around them. Small ships were flying around them. I assume these are sentries of some sort. I didn't push it and left.

Currently checking predictions. Some errors which correcting. Local MA in the Pleiades was incorrect. Both those sites i presumed would remain as 2MA sites, previous ripe cycle they were 1MA + skimmers.
Seems this could be a 2nd cycle change the barnacles can do , and might explain the 1MA / 2MA variations.
Possible it varies every ripe cycle. Might mean that rather than a cycle of 3 states , 6 may be needed. or A2 B2 C2 cycle. ABCDEF probably easier. further study on these changes to do.

Some do seem to have varied patterns, change from 1>2>1 . others remain always as 1MA, some always 2MA. with 8 cycles of data now, more patterns are showing themselves.

Updated nearest 2MA locations now to 2 sites at Merope 2 A -11.23 / -145.37 and 2.68 / 143.03

The 2.68/143.03 site is the clone double nearby, was barren double last cycle, this cycle barren as expected but single barren. Worried about that one. That is one of our local Doubles in 2 weeks. Will have to watch it hasn't been 'fixed'

A few more sites to check here, other doubles in the Pleiades to see if any ripe this cycle or determine which cycle they ripen in.

Doubles to check at California and Witch head loctions too. I assume they are as predicted, but as with the Pleiades,, some always do surprise me and behave naughty.

Great news.. Pleiades Double barnacle identified in cycle C!.

Closest and best 5 MA location . Next cycle A too we have doubles in Pleiades.

Will continue surveys at other sites but here is Top location i recon for this cycle.

Pleiades Sector JC-U B3-2 1 -8.80 / -13.36

q7oo9oPl.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom