Meta Alloy Ripe Barnacle sources

It's a topsy-turvy world. I'm at Merope 2 A 2.68 / 143.04 directly under the Farragut. (Single Barney with 2 MAs). The double is barren, but this one is ok. I get local warnings about unauthorized ships, but the guards jump away. Collecting MAs is going well.

Ooh thanks for that last one, those are some tasty boys.

I just lost a lot of money, so making Darnielle's Progress rich on those would be an ideal easy recovery.

I had gone to the Pleiades Sector RO-Q B5-0 4 23.59 / 70.94 4 MA Unguarded double barnacle location but only found dirt, it seemed quite a flat area, usually they like the shade of ravines and craters so that also threw me a bit. As you say they don't always behave, seems some are non-re-occurring randomly generated ones, when you leave the instance they disappear?

Last edited:
Ooh thanks for that last one, those are some tasty boys.

I just lost a lot of money, so making Darnielle's Progress rich on those would be an ideal easy recovery.

I had gone to the Pleiades Sector RO-Q B5-0 4 23.59 / 70.94 4 MA Unguarded double barnacle location but only found dirt, it seemed quite a flat area, usually they like the shade of ravines and craters so that also threw me a bit. As you say they don't always behave, seems some are non-re-occurring randomly generated ones, when you leave the instance they disappear?

Some not behaving as early prediction, but thats new data for another puzzle. Corrected my entries now for Cycle C.

Pleiades Sector RO-Q B5-0 4 23.59 / 70.94 4 MA typo there, should of been -23.59 / 70.94
That would explain the incorrect looking area and dirt . Most likely a typo from last night. Not so important now since that was one of the unexpected changes.
That barnacle now flipped back into a 1 MA ripe cycle. Defended too so exclusion zone and skimmers

Other unexpected results on a better note , i had a few double candidates with had not been ripe before in B cycle, and located the new 5MA nearby in the Pleiades.
Pleiades Sector JC-U B3-2 1 -8.80 / -13.36 5 Meta alloy double barnacle site . Best there is in the Pleiades for the next two weeks. After that there are other double barnacles in the Pleiades.
q7oo9oPm.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Checking the doubles are behaving as expected currently in the other nebula. California LC-V location - 5 MA confirmed there. checking others shortly
Nice night time illumination.
Z55Ki6Pm.jpg
7foKWM4m.jpg
cFvVoEPm.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Commanders,

I am sorry if I am wrong here. I was directed in my own thread to this one here. My home station is affected by UA interference, services are closed at the moment and I was asking how to cure.

I've read this thread so far. But to be honest it is hard to understand if you are not a barnacle expert. Since English is not my favorite language some points are not clear. It seems that this thread is not about how to cure stations but how and where to find meta-alloys (MA?). Finding MA is basic in curing stations but there are other (still open?) questions like how many MA you need, how long it takes to be in service again after MA are sold, ...

But anyway, I found my station on that sheet in post #47. [I assume "BM" stands for black market but what is "brink closure"? My dictionary gives no hint.]. So there are activities or studies in curing stations? But maybe there is another thread dealing with that in more detail? According to station market the demand on MA is about 7.3Mio and that exceeds a little bit my capacity.

Would be very helpful for non barnacle expert commanders to have a kind of short summary in what to to if your favorite station is closed and you want to bring it back to service again. If already existing, where to find?

Please let me know [if|how] [I|you] can be of any help.

Thnx

Ducky

Hi Commanders,

Hi there,

I can't answer your MA questions (I'm just a PvP-er who reads this thread to help me gather materials from barnacles) but I can tell you "brink" will be short for "on the brink of", which is an English expression meaning that there is a high risk that something will happen very soon but that it has not happened yet.

Imagine someone standing on the brink (which means "edge") of a cliff and possibly being about to fall.

Example:

"Ducky's station was on the brink of closure when he began to harvest MA's in an attempt to save it."

Of course, from what you say it sounds like unfortunately this information may be out of date and your station has already gone past the brink!

Hopefully one of our MA experts will reply to you soon.

o7

Hi Commanders,

I am sorry if I am wrong here. I was directed in my own thread to this one here. My home station is affected by UA interference, services are closed at the moment and I was asking how to cure.

I've read this thread so far. But to be honest it is hard to understand if you are not a barnacle expert. Since English is not my favorite language some points are not clear. It seems that this thread is not about how to cure stations but how and where to find meta-alloys (MA?). Finding MA is basic in curing stations but there are other (still open?) questions like how many MA you need, how long it takes to be in service again after MA are sold, ...

But anyway, I found my station on that sheet in post #47. [I assume "BM" stands for black market but what is "brink closure"? My dictionary gives no hint.]. So there are activities or studies in curing stations? But maybe there is another thread dealing with that in more detail? According to station market the demand on MA is about 7.3Mio and that exceeds a little bit my capacity.

Would be very helpful for non barnacle expert commanders to have a kind of short summary in what to to if your favorite station is closed and you want to bring it back to service again. If already existing, where to find?

Please let me know [if|how] [I|you] can be of any help.

Thnx

Ducky

Numbers of MA required to fix a station are not directly related to the Meta Alloy demand.
Its more of a balance between how many UA had been delivered to that station and how many MA have also been delivered there. The demand levels change each day , but wont see any effect till the weekly changes and update.
IIRC last starport update was on Tuesday , weekly mostly but day can vary. Many stations are being cured now and soon there will be a end to the plague.

Any MA you deliver will help to cure your station. They can be farmed from the Barnacles, or bought at Maia point at a high price in low numbers but not very efficient or cheap.
You didn't mension which station is your favorite station. I drop off MA frequently to various stations.
Let me know and i can help with some MA there.

HAISHENG ORBITAL ? could be that from your description. Should be shut down on most services, but does look its on road to recovery. Shipyard looks active again was closed , outfitting cartogrtaphics are shut. Crew lounge and repairs closed too.
Selling 35 MA here.

went to BRESTLA - I SOLA PROSPECT . planet base, was having issues for a while. Was a CG build base with every module available in outfitting so seemed a good place to mend.
Didnt need any MA there as it looks fixed already without issues now. No MA demand. I guess this one will be off the list for next update.

Last edited:
Thank you Commanders for your explanations and your offer to help. Much appreciated.

My station is Bacon City.

I had planned to go for farming barnacles this weekend, but I just have seen that it is cured now. Since I only have time to play on weekend this may be already for some days. Sorry if I was not up to date. I still would like to help (as other stations are still closed) but got a message this noon that my Dad is not well. So this weekend I maybe will not be online but will care about my Mum and Dad.

Fly safe and again, thank you for your support.

Ducky

PS.: One question is left. Was the closure of the stations a result of selling UA by real commanders or by the background simulation? Bacon Citiy was on war just before the UA closure happened.

Last edited:
My station is Bacon City.

PS.: One question is left. Was the closure of the stations a result of selling UA by real commanders or by the background simulation? Bacon Citiy was on war just before the UA closure happened.

No certain answer but I suspect BGS. I've monitored the affected stations, most used to be player targeted I believe maybe some BGS. always appeared first as being affected with issues, first stage, then after a long time brink of closure before station closed down. it took some time to close.
Mid December onwards stations appeared on brink of closure with no prior reports of being affected and then shut next week. very fast.

Bacon city was one of those I noticed among several others, brink then closed, a few even didn't have Bm
I suspect those are BGS related.

Bacon city was off the list and cured this Tuesday.

May of been working a few days before then.a week last Tuesday it was closed however . I noticed I sola prospect listed as affected with issues this Tuesday. last night there was no demand there and no issues. fully working.
So seems stations can be cured before weekly starport updates. Most likely with the daily BGS tick

Last edited:

UA related issues are always caused by players selling UA. However there is a BGS state called Lockdown that can be confused for UA issues because it closes various station services when active. Lockdown is caused either by commiting crimes (primarily murder) in a system or by completing massacre missions against a faction. So war can indirectly cause Lockdown.

Back to the Barnacles. Had a busy work week, rest of time spent exploring beta.
New starport update arrived today. Its been 2 weeks since the last one. 6 closed , 8 with issues, 6 on brink of closure.
https://community.elitedangerous.com/en/galnet/uid/58c0101015ac1c6413ab0b67

Not much change on numbers , but changes to the list, will look into where later on.

Barnacles change tomorrow to State A . Leaves me little time to check on the doubles across the 3 nebula, a few i have not classed into which cycle, confirmed they were not B , must to that for C before tomorrow. Then all data on known doubles collected.
Having doubles in all cycles in 3 nebula will be useful until we find more and other nebula with barnacles , which i think highly likely with 2.3. 'Roid bases out there among many nebula, bigger bubble, but thats when 2.3 happens.

Witch Head nebula double checked. Confirmed ripe in C, other double there in B, no double for A due to lack of other barnacle finds.
Best place to look for fresh ones, not much scouting been done in that nebula even on confirmed planets
oncLJhul.jpg

Until tomorrows state change. Will do the rounds, should be doubles in the Pleiades cycle A. May yield useful data to see if there is a 6 states to cycle rather than 3. Expecting some oddities or changes.

Predictions for cycle A

Confirmed . All 4 MA Double Barnalces
Pleiades Sector RO-Q B5-0 4 23.59 / 70.94 4 MA Unguarded double barnacle
Merope 2A 2.68 / 143.03 1MA guarded capship/ships/skimmers , Double nearby Clone 4 MA outside exclusion zone. Perfectly safe.
Pleiades Sector JC-U B3-2 1 25.33 / 25.52 4 MAUnguarded double barnacle

Edit : Will update after the main survey and checking all. For now Confirmed JC U B3-2 4 MA in cycle A
rMALwiBl.jpg

Other barnacles in the study checked. 100% match to predictions. 1MA guarded barnacles, alternate from Turrets to Skimmers each ripe cycle. So fits with a 6 cycles for the minor changes.
3 cycle for the main Ripe changes. 1 odd one RO-Q B5-0 4 -27.01 / 72.09 Ripe this cycle , 1 MA unguarded. Thats strange in the pleiades barnacles. 6 cycles ago was 1MA, 3 cycles ago ripe 2 MA . Once again 1MA unguarded.
Quite odd that one. Possibly a different pattern to most barnacles. Confirms though 6 cycles needed to study the changes to identify the barnacle type with certainty.

Last edited:
Visited the Barnacle on Merope 2A at 13/-161 with the battlecruiser above it. It now has a trespass zone, skimmers and defence turrets! Is that a recent addition? From what I could see they are ripe. but as you can imagine, you can't get near them.

Visited the Barnacle on Merope 2A at 13/-161 with the battlecruiser above it. It now has a trespass zone, skimmers and defence turrets! Is that a recent addition? From what I could see they are ripe. but as you can imagine, you can't get near them.

Quite common on some of the guarded barnacles.

Quite a few with capship will have patrols, not a problem but trespass zones are.
Trespass zones only at 1 MA spike barnacles and have skimmers or turrets. Best not to try harvest them. Stick to the 2 MA spike barnacles or the 2MA with capship ones, no exclusion zones.

Merope 2A 2.68 / 143.03 is ripe and same planet at the moment.
1 MA barnacle turret capship zone but next to it is a unguarded double barnacle with 4MA and no zone.
2.63 / 143.03. Can't miss it, within sight of each other, one guarded and double unguarded. Ripe till 23/3/17

Last edited:
Quite common on some of the guarded barnacles.

Quite a few with capship will have patrols, not a problem but trespass zones are.
Trespass zones only at 1 MA spike barnacles and have skimmers or turrets. Best not to try harvest them. Stick to the 2 MA spike barnacles or the 2MA with capship ones, no exclusion zones.

Merope 2A 2.68 / 143.03 is ripe and same planet at the moment.
1 MA barnacle turret capship zone but next to it is a unguarded double barnacle with 4MA and no zone.
2.63 / 143.03. Can't miss it, within sight of each other, one guarded and double unguarded. Ripe till 23/3/17

Thankyou for the info. I try to visit a few Barnacle sites on a regular basis, mainly for any changes. All these defences came as a surprise though.

Thank you very much !!!

This list stopped one of my friends from quitting the game.
He was so annoyed that the Engineer Farsseer asked for something which had no in-game information at all, gave no idea where to get it let alone what it is.
I finally managed to get him to meta-game and use out of game info. IE your list, which kept him from just quitting.

So great work and thanks !

Last edited:
Much going on, beta and all, etc. and other stuffs. Much stuff. Enough of stuff.

Barnacle update day incoming.
New change cycle , Tomorrow will be cycle B i predict.

Starport update today, more starports added, similar with issues, 2 more new on brink. Although with so much going on with beta and in general seems the MA deliveries have slowed of late.

Done a precheck on predictions, most should be as OP, 'quote'
Cycle B - Nearest 2MA
Pleiades Sector RO-Q B5-0 4 -27.10 / 74.60 2 MA Unguarded
Merope 5C -28.77 / 114.01 2 MA Capship Quite safe.

Cycle B - Doubles
California Sector DL-Y D4 C 6 -34.46 / -44.43 5 MA Unguarded
California Sector LC-V C2-10 A 4 32.69 / 71.45 4 MA Unguarded
Witch Head Sector LC-V C2-10 A 4 -22.84 / 176.06 4MA Unguarded

Since last survey no doubles in this cycle at Pleiades found , yet.

Much other science related barnacle studies underway though. A few odd patterns as before with the Merope barnacles. Previously 2A was the culprit, now i think one of the 5C barnacles will behave similar but wont know till tomorrow.

Parked myself up there for the night to observe if it Ripens early.
By the basic cycle it should be barren again, but exhibited a double ripe and single barren phase in last cycle. Predict this one if repeats should be a 2MA barnacle again.
MEROPE 5C -2824. / -109.52
XdffWkAh.jpg

Parked ontop of it [yesnod] Barren now, but should be barren again , but expected to be 2MA Ripe.

If so a change in its cycle , could be another possibility too, but will get to that tomorrow, and also would require 2 months more change data, so hoping i am right.

SOMETHING odd with the Merope Barnacles . Maybe ready to hatch ? 2.3 is coming... its probably nothing to worry about. , yet

Last edited:
That barnacle was barren. oh well at least its not another puzzle. Behaving as normal this cycle, will confirm again in 6 weeks that barnacle . Most likely the oddity came from recording the state drunkly i presume.
Only place for oddity barnacles is on Merope 2A not 5C

First checks on regular barnacle states, all behaving normaly. Still to confirm the Doubles are behaving correctly, i would assume so but will check later on.

Starport update turned up on Wednesday. A few more stations added to list , fewer cured this week most likely due to Beta testing taking up much time from the MetaHarvests.

Will do some further scouting in Pleiades for a chance of a double in cycle B.

On another note, big Gratz to Cmdr Zorbaq. Found a barnacle at Witch Head nebula. Not just a barnacle , a new barnacle system , far harder. then found 2 more, and last check he's found 7 or 8.
A new Barnacle hunting Prodigy. Higher G world too. With 2.3 not far off some new barnacle story related stuff coming i think. Might even find barnacles in new nebula too besides the Pleiades, California and Witch Head

Updated OP with latest info. Pleiades only 2MA this cycle. Nearest Double California.
Pleiades Sector RO-Q B5-0 4 -27.10 / 74.60 2 MA Unguarded
California Sector DL-Y D4 C 6 -34.46 / -44.43 5 MA Unguarded

eEMFtmGl.jpg

Last edited:
Hey CMDRS,
Thanks to PanPiper's work here and my talks with him...

The Barnacle Meta^2 Sheet now shows you which barnacle's are ripe based on their cycle!
Along with Defences and number of MAs.
Submitting comments on barnacles when they are ripe will help us to determine which cycle they are in and add it to the sheet.

unknown.png

Many thanks for your patience CMDRs o7 Have a nice day!

Hey CMDRS,
Thanks to PanPiper's work here and my talks with him...

The Barnacle Meta^2 Sheet now shows you which barnacle's are ripe based on their cycle!
Along with Defences and number of MAs.
Submitting comments on barnacles when they are ripe will help us to determine which cycle they are in and add it to the sheet.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/197798433568980992/294854563863986177/unknown.png

Many thanks for your patience CMDRs o7 Have a nice day!

Barnacle research has really paid off lately, something i had only hoped for combining the main barnacle meta sheet somehow with Ripe MA data.
You've seen my paper notes, spreadsheets are not my strong point. Although Netslayer is a master it seems. Created a running cycle clock as well as including that data with the ripe cycles.

Long term i shall still keep this thread running for quick reference for nearest MA and nearest doubles, but also any barnacle related discussion or finds etc.
The main sheet i'm sure once you're familiar with it may be also of great help if looking for other locations or taking a interest in the barnacles. Will be more relevant when 2.3 drops i think.

Ripe locations added and surveyed for B cycle in California nebula and Witch head including new witch head finds. Over time i will complete the entire metasheet list with ripe data and MA numbers.
two, no , three new double finds to add to the list for Witch head.
FrOGVHKh.jpg
tgFYfVyh.jpg
Rrb4LBdh.jpg

The RO-Q B5-0 single barnacle now has a Cap Ship above it, just thought I'd let you know. Farragut in the lower right, sorry it's a bit big.

I'm not sure now if the Capship has been there for some time or recently turned up now. I'm sure there were 2 convoy beacons, now 1 convoy and 1 capship. Could be developments or nothing,, unsure now.
Since its not above any of the barnacle sites, all 8 known ones here are in a different area of the planet. Below here , mostly mountains but a few small canyons i took a brief look at earlier. No luck yet, given time may explore here more.
FNS Resolution above planet.
9dYU3sQh.jpg

Tomorrow will be the State Change day again. I'll update and confirm tomorrow evening to see they are all behaving to plan. This probably will be the last change before 2.3 goes live in around 2 weeks time.
A few more barnacles cycle info added to the metasheet for B, will have new info to update tomorrow
Moving into Cycle C , better harvests all around in all 3 nebula.

Top locations for the next two weeks starting tomorrow.

Pleiades Sector JC-U B3-2 1 -8.80 / -13.36 5MA Unguarded
California Sector LC-V C2-10 A 4 -9.71 / 138.80 5MA Unguarded
Witch Head Sector GW-W C14 A 4 -65.98 / -173.42 5MA Unguarded

q7oo9oPh.jpg
Z55Ki6Ph.jpg
oncLJhuh.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom