meta alloys, did the update kill farming or finding them?

Was going to start building a ship to fight the thargoids, but after visiting several planets through three different websites, there is nothing.
After scanning the planets it tells you where the thargoid Barnacles are, but at every place I landed they are all taken.
Is there another way to get meta alloys

I found some a couple weeks ago at the barnacle forest on Hyades Sector AQ-Y d81, planet C2. Many of the old sites are all dead now.

At any given moment of time, most barnacle forest are low-activity (no materials, no meta-alloys). You have to travel around and check them to find the active ones. Or, just buy meta-alloys from Darnielle's Progress in Maia.

How do you know the meta-alloys are all taken? How are you recognizing them?
It's pretty obvious if there are no nodes, nothing comes up to target. Here's how a ripe one looks:

Screenshot_0213.jpg

I think that was The Enclave storyline. Barnacles are no longer fruiting so much in the Pleiades, but we found more in the Witchhead nebula.

Last edited:
.. or non Numan Signal Sources - they have Meta Alloys too.

If the OP has checked all the Barnacles (including WH), non human signal sources, military convoys, thargoid bases, wrecked megaships and not found meta alloys then they must be gone.

.. or non Numan Signal Sources [...]

Between the stars
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my airlocks
It's the only way to live
Between stars

Between the stars
I can only receive
I can listen to the FSS
It keeps me stable for days
Between stars

Between the stars