Engineers Meta Alloys -Not for sale?

So here is a "strange Situation".

I`m a vet player, 3x Elite, been around the galaxy a fair bit, traded and done combat a lot...So i know a fair bit about the game, and what to do.
So a new player logs into the TS server, and is asking about engineers.. lots of advice follows. Anyhow he gets an invite from Felicity, and off to see her, and as we said "she needs 1 ton of meta alloys, you need it to unlock her".
So guess what we all said - "head to Maia, to the surface port of Darnielles, you can buy them there":cool:... yes, this is the truth... Or so we thought...

So he flies all the way down to Maia, a daunting task for a new player...But he gets there, after using 2 heat sinks and several butt clenching moments.. but he is alive.. head to the port annnnnd...... there was none on sale..:eek:
So i asked if he was in the right system, right port, and right part of the commodities market? Yep, yep & yep...
OKAY...[where is it](now i am thinking ?).[where is it]

So i jump over- i was working down in Maia anyhow, and look aswell, jumping into solo & open, guess what... NO META ALLOYS!

So i say to him, well here is the good news... they don't sell them anymore(so it appears).
"What's the bad news?" You have to find e'm, on a planet.. Google is your friend..."&%$$&$!!!"

I know engineers are a pain in the Asp, but they are worth it(i keep repeating this mantra), however, as a new player, just getting into the game and wanting to do the engineering lark, there is very little in the way of information in game.. as to go where, and do what. Yes the community is very good, and helpful, but if you are that new player, you may be totally unaware of the forums & 3rd party web sites.
What's worse is that EDDB insists that they are on sale..in Maia...at Darnielles.

So something is up...

I know that finding the barnacles & crash sites are fairly easy as an established player, but the new guy is so shiney he squeaks when he turns his head... aka he was downloading Horizons when the conversation started... so ZERO experience of the planets, SRV, ETC...:eek:
As with most veteran players, i told him to go read, and keep reading & i also took my own advice, and found a post from last year about them not being on sale, then they were.. then not.. you get the idea.
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/312632-Meta-Alloy-Ripe-Barnacle-sources

TL:DR You can't buy meta alloys from Maia now, you have to hunt for them, bad if you are a new player.

So what do you think.. something is up, yes?

Getting meta alloys is now a big pain in the Asp, even more as a new player as Felicity is a good place to start... think FD should give more pro hints?

Your thoughts.

Fly save and watch you 6 for "Aliens".

this thread gives locations of unguarded, ripe barnacles: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/312632-Meta-Alloy-Ripe-Barnacle-sources

if you ask me, it is well worth to visit a barnacle, especially for a newer player who hasn't seen one yet.

the missing meta-alloy from the market might be down to faction state or a demand for meta-alloys due to unknown artifacts being sold, at the port or other ports in system. if it doesn't replenish after 11 minutes with a market refresh.

the missing meta-alloy from the market might be down to faction state or a demand for meta-alloys due to unknown artifacts being sold, at the port or other ports in system. if it doesn't replenish after 11 minutes with a market refresh.

I know, but they are just not listed.. as in "we don't sell them anymore" vs "we got no stock atm".
I agree with you on the barnicles, all players should see them, and maybe this is why meta alloys are not on sale anymore- FD-"get out and see the barnacles / alien ships".

Fly safe

I know, but they are just not listed.. as in "we don't sell them anymore" vs "we got no stock atm".

that's a strong indication of a state effect. if a faction is in war for exampel, any weapons usually on stock get de-listed from the market, too.

will be interesting to see whether they come back with a different state, or whether a station in maia will be found on the list of stations with technical issues next thursday.

if you happen to get a MA from a barnacle, it might be worth it to check the MA demand at darnielles progress.

I found this out yesterday, after heading to Maia to buy a meta alloy.

I then headed to Merope 5C and got my mete alloy from a barnacle there. It is a pita, but only because I wasted time going to Maia first, if I'd known they were no longer available at Maia and just gone to a barnacle site, then I wouldn't of had a head banging against a wall moment :p

Last edited:
They're also available at the 100 (and counting) Thargoid base sites, which is probably why they're now withdrawn from sale. They were only there so that the guarded/dead barnacles weren't causing too much grief.

They're also available at the 100 (and counting) Thargoid base sites, which is probably why they're now withdrawn from sale. They were only there so that the guarded/dead barnacles weren't causing too much grief.

Yes, we have been talking (a lot) about them, and this is probably why they MA are not on sale anymore, like i said in the OP, they are easy to get, if you know what/ how, but as a starting player it is pretty daunting..even more so with zero SRV training :p

Cool stuff tho these new sites and i have been in several, stole their babies and vendored them.. all in the name of profit!

Fly safe out there

Last edited:
Still for sale at Darniels Progess in Maia bought one a few days ago, but easy to get on Barnecles to. Mabe they just out of stock cause to many buyers right now. For me they sold 1.

I'm on Xbox and ended having to travel to Merope 5c to harvest my own.

Doing so was less troublesome than traveling to 5 diff stations trying to buy one. AND I got 4 so I sold the others.

This is probably standard handling of high demand - very similar behavior can be seen around trading CG systems. In such situations supply gradually drops down to single digits (and for meta alloys it was already low at the best of times) and occasionally the commodity completely disappears from market listing. I'm not sure why the disappearance happens (instead showing 0 supply) but it is a common thing.

I'm not sure why the disappearance happens (instead showing 0 supply) but it is a common thing.

I know right!
It is mental, it's like going to the food shop where you buy apples..everyday, then suddenly one day "sorry mate we don't sell apples anymore!"

what_now1.jpg

Gday all,
I have a Imperial Clipper that is in need for an overcharged power plant . So I need a single Meta Alloy to unlock Felicity..

I have been to Darnells Progress twice in the last two days, no meta alloys for sale there; they are not even listed on the board.there.

Been to Merope 2A to the barnacle site, A great big ship called Ajax is guarding the single large barnacle and about a dozen babys growning on a near vertical cliff face there.
I did not go to Merope 5C.

imho this is a lot of travelling and mucking about to just unlock the Engineer to overcharge the power plant to level 1.

There is no Meta Alloys for sale anywhere according to Inara.. hmm

Looks like I will have to ask you on Forum here where is a site (location please) that you know has a single Meta Alloy I can gather or buy?

Appreciate your advice
Have Imp Clipper will travel.
Cmdr D38

Last edited:
Gday all,
I have a Imperial Clipper that is in need for an overcharged power plant . So I need a single Meta Alloy to unlock Felicity..

I have been to Darnells Progress twice in the last two days, no meta alloys for sale there; they are not even listed on the board.there.

Been to Merope 2A to the barnacle site, A great big ship called Ajax is guarding the single large barnacle and about a dozen babys growning on a near vertical cliff face there.
I did not go to Merope 5C.

imho this is a lot of travelling and mucking about to just unlock the Engineer to overcharge the power plant to level 1.

There is no Meta Alloys for sale anywhere according to Inara.. hmm

Looks like I will have to ask you on Forum here where is a site (location please) that you know has a single Meta Alloy I can gather or buy?

Appreciate your advice
Have Imp Clipper will travel.
Cmdr D38
2nd post of this thread:

Gday all,

Strange, a friend bought some at Darnielle's Progress 1-2 weeks ago.

Like others have said, it is probably the BGS screwing a lot of players over.

Either way, it's good to know they are back on sale.

Fly safe

Top Bottom