Ships Meta Alloys, the solo-in-game way?

Hey, I play in solo mode and usually like to make progress without looking things up on the internet whenever I can, but I have reached the limits of my patience with Felicity Farseer's request.
There's no in-game hint on where to find meta alloys, so I studied the codex and started looking for Thargoid barnacles, but every location I visited only had depleted ones.
So I finally gave up and looked it up. Some people said to go to the Witch Head nebula, which I did, but after visiting several planets with barnacles, I still haven't found a living one.
Everybody said to simply buy one alloy at Maia, but that seems so incredibly lame to me. How are you supposed to figure that out by yourself?
If barnacles aren't an active resource anymore, they should definitely change Farseer's request to something else, because buying an item at a place you have to be told about on the internet doesn't have a lot to do with exploration, in my view.
Or am I missing something here?

Coal Sack is the newness for Barnacles - I believe those articles are still in-game, so you could have found them. There are also other Thargoid locations in the codex, you could have checked them. Surprised you didn't find any MA in the WH, not aware of them vanishing 🤷‍♂️

Edit: Though yes, MA aren't incredibly easy to find - well, until you've found them ;)

Last edited:
Hmmm, thanks, I'll look it up. Have checked multiple Barncales in at least three systems in WH, but all were broken, so I assumed it would be the same as everywhere else I had checked before. In any case, compared to the requests of the other entry level engineers, Felicity's is quite demanding and time-consuming... 😵

Ok, finally found one, thanks again. My two mistakes were: 1) I hadn't really paid attention to GalNet as much as I should have (the newsfeed seems a bit overwhelming when starting out). 2) It hadn't occured to me to filter the galaxy map for Thargoid civilization.

Regarding Farseer's task, what the game might have communciated better for new players, though, is that meta-alloys are a Thargoid thing at all and require you to check out Thargoid sites. Something like "Find me one of those alien meta-alloys I have been hearing so much about. You should explore systems where the Thargoids have been sighted."

Had the same issue, right, I'll deal with Martuk then, FSD to G5 no problem but eventually had to go the Farseer option for other upgrades, then decided on Darnielle's Progress for Meta-Alloys, bingo, at last, job done i thought, no. En route to Deciat, interdicted... where's escape vector...bye bye ship... rebuy, try again, same thing. Hmmm, EDDB, Carrier closest to Farseer Inc. selling Meta-Alloys (QLX-3XN), ok, 2mill cr !! what the... still, that's 3 mill cheaper than rebuy insurance, we'll do that.
Arrived nervously, docked, then awkwardly carried out transaction for goods. It had the feeling i IMAGINE you would get if caught browsing top shelf magazines. Right let's get the hell out of here, stealth like. Off i set, boost, boost, boost, supercruise, set the controls for the heart of Farseer Inc, close eyes, cross fingers, i was literally breaking out in anxious sweat waiting for the inevitable and... nothing. Got to Farseer, sold Cartographics, donated Meta-Alloys, achieved all available upgrades.
Got home, sold more Cartographics (for more than i payed for Meta-Alloys) and wished i had done that in the first place !

Regarding Farseer's task, what the game might have communciated better for new players, though, is that meta-alloys are a Thargoid thing at all and require you to check out Thargoid sites. Something like "Find me one of those alien meta-alloys I have been hearing so much about. You should explore systems where the Thargoids have been sighted."
Even in 2021 Elite: Dangerous is extremely hostile to new players… and yet it’s your best friend compared to what it was like just 2 years ago.

Hope this helps some if you're still looking:

Found some at the ‘goid ground structure in the Delphi system. No barnacles, just barbs. Can scan stuff for your codex as well :)

I am trying to acquire Meta alloys and am currently at Hyades Sector AQ-Y d81 Planet C2 as instructed by a video..now what? thanks all

Top Bottom