Micro-freezes & stutterings - Am I going crazy ?

Dudes & dudettes, just tell me I haven't lost it (yet).
Since april patch, I experience lots of micro-freezes during flight.
What I mean is I notice the screen (not audio) freezing for a couple hundred milliseconds every 5 to 30 seconds or so.
At times it's a tad less intrusive but most of the time it's very annoying. Happens in supercruise or normal flight, during takeoff animations, ...
It's quite problematic as it's a huge disadvantage with PvP as it's much more difficult to accurately shoot at the opponent, when the display freezes just as you're lining up your shot.
PLEASE tell me some of you noticed that behaviour as well...

I tried disabling some background-running applications, updated my nVidia drivers to 430.64 (GeForce 1070 notebook), Windows 10 64-bit is up to date, ...
Before patch it was running quite flawlessly and I only noticed that after the recent big update.

disabled v-sync and frame limiter, tried 60hz and 144hz (as my monitor is a 144hz-capable one) no difference, just lots of micro stutters which are more frequent during battles. Framerate is very good (VR is totally playable) but lots of micro-freezes which makes combat very problematic.

Probably not too bad a disadvantage if you PVP as to your opponent you probably appear to be teleporting around - maybe ask a friend to test it with you to see?

I've noticed the same issue. Have tried many combinations of graphics settings, vsync, frame rate limiter, refresh rate and many more but none of these seem to have any effect. My rig is quite high spec, all other apps work fine. ED was as smoother as butter before the last update.

I checked lots of parameters as of today, to check wether some of running programs could be the issue.

What I tried:

• closed launcher & killed Steam altogether
  • removed external USB display
  • closed EDMC (Market Connector)
  • tried various GFX options, from lowest to highest.
  • stopped Windows Defender realtime scanner

furthermore, I...

• tried without joystick input, only KBM (yeah, I play with HOTAS like a pleb)
  • closed & killed Razer-related software
  • closed Logitech-related software
  • tried various parameters for undervolting (-0.060V to 0.000V), my laptop easily overheats
  • closed Intel Extreme Tuning Utility
  • closed & killed Notebook Fan Control
  • shut down Voicemeeter Banana
  • closed Discord

None of these made the slightest difference. Before update, I never encountered the issue.

It might be (at least in part) related to my rig but I'm pretty sure something changed in E:D's code which causes these stutters.
I tried flying in battle, but these stutters occur a tad more often in that context & renders the fights almost unplayable. I had to shut down before losing my nerve entirely ;-)

Any further ideas guys/gals ? Should I raise a ticket about that matter ? It won't change a thing if few people notice that & vote, but I can always try unless someone already did.

Maybe for those who experience the issue, can you please specify your gear ?

Mine is:
  • Asus ROG Strix GL502VS (BIOS 302)
  • Intel Core i7 6700HQ
  • GeForce GTX 1070 notebook
  • 16GB RAM
  • 1TB SSD (M2) + 1TB HDD (E:D runs off the HDD)
  • Thrustmaster T16000M + TWCS HOTAS system
  • Logitech G110 K/B + G500 Mouse
  • Razer Tartarus keypad
  • Oculus Rift CV1
  • Plugable UGA-3000 USB Display driver 9.0.1807.0

S/W wise:
  • Windows 10 Home Edition 64bit, version 1803 (17134.706)
  • nVidia driver 430.64
  • Oculus Tray Tool 0.85.3
  • Logitech Gaming Software 9.02.65
  • Razer Synapse 3.4.415.41818
  • Steam 2019-04-29 package version 1556574584
  • Notebook Fan Control 1.5.3
  • VoiceMeeter Banana 2.0.4.4
  • Intel eXtreme Tuning Utility (XTU) version 6.5.1.321

Maybe for those who experience the issue, can you please specify your gear ?

Mine is:
  • Asus ROG Strix GL502VS (BIOS 302)
  • Intel Core i7 6700HQ
  • GeForce GTX 1070 notebook
  • 16GB RAM
  • 1TB SSD (M2) + 1TB HDD (E:D runs off the HDD)
  • Thrustmaster T16000M + TWCS HOTAS system
  • Logitech G110 K/B + G500 Mouse
  • Razer Tartarus keypad
  • Oculus Rift CV1
  • Plugable UGA-3000 USB Display driver 9.0.1807.0
S/W wise:
  • Windows 10 Home Edition 64bit, version 1803 (17134.706)
  • nVidia driver 430.64
  • Oculus Tray Tool 0.85.3
  • Logitech Gaming Software 9.02.65
  • Razer Synapse 3.4.415.41818
  • Steam 2019-04-29 package version 1556574584
  • Notebook Fan Control 1.5.3
  • VoiceMeeter Banana 2.0.4.4
  • Intel eXtreme Tuning Utility (XTU) version 6.5.1.321

Are you using wireless, have you tried a hard wire?

This is a question in terms of if you have done this, not that you should do it.
Have you unparked your cpu cores? or for that matter overclocked or changed your cpu away from default in any way?

Are you using wireless, have you tried a hard wire?

Everything is wired, but that was indeed a good thought.

This is a question in terms of if you have done this, not that you should do it.
Have you unparked your cpu cores? or for that matter overclocked or changed your cpu away from default in any way?

I undervolted the CPU a bit because the heat-sink in my laptop is a bit undersized. I also tried with default parameters.
Before update I never had the issues I'm mentioning here.

My only other suggestion (I see this mentioned constantly on other game forums but have never had it personally help), get task manager up while elites running and change the priority of the task to high ( Never real time).

Roger Wilco. I'll post the results back here.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: NW3
I undervolted the CPU a bit because the heat-sink in my laptop is a bit undersized. I also tried with default parameters.
Before update I never had the issues I'm mentioning here.
Hm well it is difficult to say, the patch might have done something that makes the game a bit more demanding and your cpu might be reacting badly to undervolt. But if it is fine with default, it could most likely be software related.

Try removing your settings folder so that the game resets itself, you can always put it back in and restore it.
Its the
%appdata%\..\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options

You can copy this text directly into windows run, and it will take you into the option folder.

this folder, shut the game down, move that to a safe location, let the game start up a new, and see how it goes, if it is the game you can just pull the option folder back into its old location and it will restore your options.

Last edited:
Not getting this issue with my laptop with a 950M in it that I have noticed.

I would consider raising a ticket with support rather than one for a bug.

My only other suggestion (I see this mentioned constantly on other game forums but have never had it personally help), get task manager up while elites running and change the priority of the task to high ( Never real time).

Roger Wilco. I'll post the results back here.

EDIT: had a power surge, just tested it rn.

results: the process was already set to high & that might have been the reason why I experience hiccups. Tried setting priority to normal & I didn't notice hiccups.
So your idea is a very good lead ;-) I'll try and perform more thorough & in-depth investigation and post results here for anyone interested.

Thanks !

Yep, the current patch definitely hits my frame rates.
I'm running a low end GTX960/4GB capped at 60fps with mostly med settings.
Sitting on the landing pad Inside a station was I was getting 57-59fps again (after Frontier fixed the engine trails bug), but now the frame rates drop to 46-48fps just sitting there and looking around. (Vsync is off)
The frame rates recover to about 56fps again after some time but start to drop again once I look around.
This hasn't happened before they introduced this goddam patch.

• Like (+1)
You can also try disabling your CPU's turbo boost to see if that helps. I love ThrottleStop (Intel XTU too) for this kind of thing.

I have no fps drops, but I always monitor my GPU usage. I had a 1070 before and it always hit 100% usage in combat at 4k.

I highly suggest MSI Afterburner + Rivatuner.

These tools tell you why the stutters happen.

• Like (+1)
Top Bottom